One long multichannel wav with track points. w/MLP and Discwelder, possible?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadsearcher

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I wasn't sure which existing thread to ask this in. I have something recorded into a DAW from analog . It is one long multichannel .wav file in the configuration L,R,C,S,Ls,Rs for 1 through 6 channels, with track points. It has already been a couple years since I did anything at this level.

Will I be able to drop this into MLP, then drop the resulting MLP into Discwelder Chrome, and have it create tracks at the track points?
Or will I need a cue sheet? I've never created one or used one with DC. Or worse (to me) will I need to reference the time of each point to create each new track? Or the real rough road (again, to me), convert to multiple mono wavs and move them all separately?

I'm going for gapless play, and simplicity to create a disc for the car. No multiple streams, menu, or artwork.

yes, as you say you will need to convert it to mlp with surcode, then drag and drop it into the main window of discwelder, then unfortunately you will need to create your track points individually by right clicking each prior track point within the discwelder main window. you can easily attain your track points by importing the left front or right front mono wav into any music editing/ cleaning program you may have. but do that only after you have created the mlp file as some editing programs change the wav after import.

OK. Thanks, I'm somewhat on the right track.
The hitch now is, when individual long wavs were rendered to one long MC wav, the DAW split tracks according to track points. Maybe there's a way to turn off track splitting.

I suspect if I put individual tracks of single MC wav, I would end up with gaps. That happened the last time I tried, with different music that should've been gapless play.

I'll see if we can export what we have without splitting into tracks. I'm off to find out what DAW we are using.

I wasn't sure which existing thread to ask this in. I have something recorded into a DAW from analog . It is one long multichannel .wav file in the configuration L,R,C,S,Ls,Rs for 1 through 6 channels, with track points. It has already been a couple years since I did anything at this level.

Will I be able to drop this into MLP, then drop the resulting MLP into Discwelder Chrome, and have it create tracks at the track points?
Or will I need a cue sheet? I've never created one or used one with DC. Or worse (to me) will I need to reference the time of each point to create each new track? Or the real rough road (again, to me), convert to multiple mono wavs and move them all separately?

I'm going for gapless play, and simplicity to create a disc for the car. No multiple streams, menu, or artwork.

Those old shared apps are a little unintuitive.
You need to first encode to MLP. Then load the MLP file into Discwelder. Then add the index points.

Prepare the album files as one long program (all the songs sequenced) except also as MONO files! (6 long files for 5.1 surround. L.wav R.wav C.wav Lfe.wav Ls.wav Rs.wav) Write down the index points in a text file for reference while they're in front of you in the DAW.

Import the files into the MLP encoder app and create the single MLP file.
Import the MLP file into Discwelder.
Add the index points (I think it calls it track points or additional track something or other).

If you neglect to do that and instead import each song as its own chapter you will get micro gaps between songs and mess up any gapless segues.

Getting closer. Was able to create a disc that plays fine in an Oppo 95. Gapless segues, track up/down works, time counter works.

However, in the car with a JVC player, it was very low levels (might be I didn't notice it with the home system, but 60 on the volume was loud as usual).

Big problem on the car player is after the first song played, it went to silence, on the same track, and time kept advancing. Track up at this point starts playing the next track but now the time either starts at 0 or some random time like :28 and stays there while the song plays. Same end-of-song silence and no track advance. I have a hunch if I let it play through it would advance at the end time of the album for each track.

Not sure what I did wrong, as I entered each end of track time in Chrome, it read correctly 00:00 start 5:00 end, 5:00 start 9:00 end etc.

Might have to bite the bullet and read the manual.

Thanks for the help so far.

-john

Back