Who do you think did the BEST Beatles cover??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe says that Dear Prudence - Siouxie & the Banshees is the best Beatles cover.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6rrTROoZIw

Wow, Mamita Linda, ...never seen this one...another one for the "cool list"...although I think they could have mixed it better...Looooove Siouxsie...(saw her in Madrid in 92(?))...she had some meat in her bones back then ,,,and the armpit hair was ,....sexy!!!!....:couch

Maybe we should also have a thread titled "The cover version of a Beatles original that sucks the most"....which would be an interesting thread, indeed....:D :confused: Because there are some fairly sucky versions out there.

My problem is that, while there are some fine covers out there--and Linda beat me to the Siouxsie one, that was a pretty fun UK band back in the late '70s and '80s--I can't think of many that come very close to the original. But that is definitely one of the better ones out there, along with Earth, Wind & Fire's "Got to Get You into My Life."

One I can recommend, among all the versions of "Yesterday," is Carla Thomas' live version from the great THE STAX/VOLT REVUE VOL. 1/LIVE IN LONDON, from 1967. That one also includes Sam & Dave's incredible version of their own "Hold On, I'm Coming," in which the late, great bassist Duck Dunn latches onto a groove and everyone else climbs on his back--including S&D! But "Yesterday" is wonderful, too, and one too few remember.

ED :)

I'm pretty sure that many of us who posted in this thread weren't saying our selection was the best cover...just...a cover. AT least, that's my case. I agree with Ed - hardly any match...even close to the original. So, what you gonna do?

That's what I'm wracking my head trying to remember, though, the BEST Beatle covers (of originals only) I've ever heard. Let's admit they were a very tough band to cover, they were so damn good.

Another one that comes to mind--okay, two--are from the lovely Marianne Faithfull. She did a nice version of "Yesterday" but also an interesting rendering of "I'm a Loser."

....But that is definitely one of the better ones out there, along with Earth, Wind & Fire's "Got to Get You into My Life."

DEFINITELY ON THE LIST OF THE GREAT ONES....had TOTALLY forgotten that one!...

The Aerosmith is down and dirty, but still too close to the original....at least for me ...and I LOVE 'smith....their best cover is definitely "Train kept a rollin' "

I'm confused by everyone's answers to this thread. I can't find ANYTHING giving credit to the people you folks mentioned for creating any of The Beatles album covers. My vote would go to Klaus Voormann's creation of the Revolver album cover.

(OK, come on, some of you thought about saying it too)

I'm sure there are probably better ones, but this is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a Beatles cover that really blew me away. Pretty much the only Beatles cover that has blown me away. That is Sun King performed by Percy Faith and His Orchestra on the Black magic Woman LP. Which is available in quad by the way. Most people have heard a lot of orchestral covers of Beatles music, and are thinking Boooo-ring. But there is just something special, magical and transcending about this version.

[video=youtube;ha0MFhdi7QQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha0MFhdi7QQ[/video]

I'm confused by everyone's answers to this thread. I can't find ANYTHING giving credit to the people you folks mentioned for creating any of The Beatles album covers. My vote would go to Klaus Voormann's creation of the Revolver album cover.

(OK, come on, some of you thought about saying it too)

;) That made me laugh

I was always partial to Phil Collins cover of Tomorrow Never Knows.... just imagine the potential for a surround remix .... :bounce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ysx2yh_60

and if you want something way out there.... try this

Back