Extremely Cheap Blu-Ray Audio Listings from China

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubertrout

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I have no idea if these sellers are legitimate, but a number of sellers on eBay from China are selling cutout HFPA discs - mostly Jazz but also Songs in the Key of Life, the surround version of the Bob Marley Legend album, and the 3-BD Allman Brothers Complete Fillmore East set for well below the market price - the Allman set is going for $35. Shipping is cheap too.

These could be fakes, of course, but I tend to doubt it considering that they're being sold as cutouts. I ordered a bunch, will advise. Here's the list of what I saw; there could be more:

Empyrean Isles/Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock
Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit
Take Off Complete Blue Note Miles Davis
Sparkle In The Rain by Simple Minds
The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings [3 Blu-ray Audio] by Allman Brothers Band
Elton John -Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Legend - 30th Anniversary Edition [CD/Blu-Ray Audio Combo]
John Coltrane -Blue Train
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Snood actually bought the Gregory Porter from China..........normally Me would not, but it was super cheap like 5 bux and free shipping.

They noted it was a cut out and new sure enough it had:banana: a like half inch cut into the case.........but the disc was Super fine and the tunes were awesome.

Me think you might be happy with them.

I have no idea if these sellers are legitimate, but a number of sellers on eBay from China are selling cutout HFPA discs - mostly Jazz but also Songs in the Key of Life, the surround version of the Bob Marley Legend album, and the 3-BD Allman Brothers Complete Fillmore East set for well below the market price - the Allman set is going for $35. Shipping is cheap too.

These could be fakes, of course, but I tend to doubt it considering that they're being sold as cutouts. I ordered a bunch, will advise. Here's the list of what I saw; there could be more:

Empyrean Isles/Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock
Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit
Take Off Complete Blue Note Miles Davis
Sparkle In The Rain by Simple Minds
The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings [3 Blu-ray Audio] by Allman Brothers Band
Elton John -Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Legend - 30th Anniversary Edition [CD/Blu-Ray Audio Combo]
John Coltrane -Blue Train
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

The problem with myself buying CDs/BluRays/DVDs from China is they deteriorated after a few years. I mentioned in a post earlier I have 100s of DVDs I brought in China over the past 20 years. Many of them no longer play. Was bloody frustrating.
I have began the long process of rebuying the ones I liked (this time not in China). The materials they used are obviously crap.

However if they are cut-outs they could be the real deal. Considering Universal Music decided to wash its hands on BluRay Pure Audio format sadly.
JBHiFi has offloaded 10,000s of CDs/DVDs to China over the past few years as I actually brought a few in a market in Hangzhou for a fraction of the original price but with still having the JB HiFi price tag on it! Bizarre

A few months ago I purchased the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore blu ray from China as a cut out. It arrived fast and was only 10 bucks, factory sealed. I could not tell where the discs were made but the notes inside said Universal Music, Broadway NY. There was also no cut slot on the package. All the discs worked fine on first play.

If you are near Los Angeles, the Amoeba in Hollywood had multiple new copies of both the Allman Bros and Simple Minds for a very good prices($25 and $10). Had a used Lori Lieberman for $10 too.

vinylguy4

If you are near Los Angeles, the Amoeba in Hollywood had multiple new copies of both the Allman Bros and Simple Minds for a very good prices($25 and $10). Had a used Lori Lieberman for $10 too.

vinylguy4

I hope somebody here grabs that Lori Liebermann PA-BD, ASAP..!!! It's terrific.. and for only $10..!??

wow!!!

I hope somebody here grabs that Lori Liebermann PA-BD, ASAP..!!! It's terrific.. and for only $10..!??

wow!!!

Thanks for the reminder on this title Adam, I had forgotten that I need this. Just checked the Amoeba online store, unfortunately not listed. Don't want to spend the time and gas to get to LA but just saw a used copy elsewhere online that might be mine soon.:thumbs:

Update: Just bought a new one through amerzone.ca for a grand total of US $16.85, last one available apparently so we'll see what happens. Shipping was almost as much as the disc.

Just got a few more of these in for $6-10 shipped from eBay. About half have a cut, about half don't - although unsightly there's something reassuring about the cut - it seems much less likely to be a counterfeit.

I'm guessing that this is the final hurrah of the HFPA program - it began with immediate promise but high prices met with variable quality and no multichannel (even where multichannel existed) doomed the project. If you're in any way interested in a disc, this is probably the way to get it - I'm guessing Universal dumped their remaining stock in China and this is the liquidation of that stock.

Thinking about bidding on Allman Brothers 3 blu Ray set. Don't have any AB in my collection. Is this a good buy?
Thanks.

Ok well decided to buying after some research seems like a good price and I have none of the original AB surround albums.

Last edited:
Back