We need a multi-channel analog to HDMI PCM converter!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8traxrule

I've been frustrated with the majority of new receivers not having multichannel analog inputs anymore- it seems that Marantz is the only brand that still has them. They are still needed for older DVD-Audio and SACD players, I personally use mine for my Panasonic quad 8-track player and there are plenty of other uses for them, yet they're nearly impossible to find now!

If manufacturers are going to drop them, then someone should make a box that lets you plug in your analog jacks and send them out through HDMI as a multichannel PCM signal that any current receiver can then play. I've heard this idea mentioned online before but it doesn't seem that it actually exists.

I've heard this idea mentioned online before but it doesn't seem that it actually exists.

I hope there isn't some idiotic political/l*wy*r reason this can't be done. It's also important for those of us with modern decoders from Involve. Maybe Involve can build one.

Or we can run multiple receivers with two channel inputs...that's totally practical!

I've been frustrated with the majority of new receivers not having multichannel analog inputs anymore- it seems that Marantz is the only brand that still has them. They are still needed for older DVD-Audio and SACD players, I personally use mine for my Panasonic quad 8-track player and there are plenty of other uses for them, yet they're nearly impossible to find now!

If manufacturers are going to drop them, then someone should make a box that lets you plug in your analog jacks and send them out through HDMI as a multichannel PCM signal that any current receiver can then play. I've heard this idea mentioned online before but it doesn't seem that it actually exists.

Why not bypass the AVR and get a Parasound P7 preamp with its dual multichannel inputs?

Why not bypass the AVR and get a Parasound P7 preamp with its dual multichannel inputs?

How does that solve the problem? How does he get the analog output from the pre-amp into an HDMI only input on the receiver?

Also, the higher end Yamaha's still have analog MC inputs.

When my TWO Parasound P7 preamps are working properly, they are fine, fine units but I've had numerous issues with both these units. I sent one back to Parasound and they checked it out and said it was fine but it continues to perform erratically. It has to do with those ridiculous power on/off buttons. The one I have at home is stuck at volume level 66 and if I disengage it it takes forever to reboot. Quality control isn't the greatest.

How does that solve the problem? How does he get the analog output from the pre-amp into an HDMI only input on the receiver?

I think Yamaha cancelled the multi inn on their avr's in 2015? RX-AXX40 was the last models to have them? But prepro CX-A5000/5100 still got them.

Strange decision.

I use my old RX-A1030 with its multi inn as an amp for my 4 Atmos speakers, great way to (re)use an old avr!

Because it's $2,000 and still requires amplification?

And bass management only works in two channel and if you want to play a RBCD with faux surround......Impossible.

As I stated, they're fine units for an ALL analogue system....WHEN they work but my two units are duds (and I didn't pay $2K either).

But, in their defense, they are BETTER than any receiver I've used (and I've used MANY over the years). Sorry, I'll take separate pre/pro/AMPS ANY DAY over receivers.

When my TWO Parasound P7 preamps are working properly, they are fine, fine units but I've had numerous issues with both these units. I sent one back to Parasound and they checked it out and said it was fine but it continues to perform erratically. It has to do with those ridiculous power on/off buttons. The one I have at home is stuck at volume level 66 and if I disengage it it takes forever to reboot. Quality control isn't the greatest.

Sorry to hear that. My P7 has worked flawlessly for years.

It is a problem of the HDMI standard. It is only designed to pair with licensed equipment that has paid the HDMI consortium. There is no way to break-out analog input directly into HDMI. The HDMI processor on the receiver needs to handshake with a stream that has the proper flags saying "hey, I'm from a device that paid you to use your system". The only outboard solution that comes to mind is a production workaround with over $500 of boxes. One could use a SDI audio embedder to a converter SDI-to-HDMI. There would still need to be a video signal as the handshake will not happen without it. SACD probably uses black video. I have seen a converter that generated its own black for audio-only but it was over $1K. At work we have two suitcases of converters/distributors for SDI, HDMI, composite, etc. for field production, but no multichannel stuff (although SDI carries it).

My recently purchased RX-V3081 doesn't, unfortunately.

Sent from my Elephone_P3000S using Tapatalk

there's no escaping the "analogue sunset".. first it was component video that got dropped in favour of HDMI (not a quality thing imho, as convenient as Hdmi can be it was more to do with HDCP/Copy control etc.) and now Multich Analogue Inputs on receivers are pretty much a thing of the past too, though I suspect it's also cost cutting measure on the manufacturers' part there will also be a copy protection thing involved most likely.

But before HDMI, SACD and DVD-A players could ONLY output those formats via analog because of "copy protection concerns". It's ridiculous that now those players can't be used with most current receivers because they lack the proper inputs.

2-channel analog sound to 2-channel PCM HDMI seems like a non-issue, most TVs and receivers can do that. My laptop computer can put out a 7.1 channel PCM signal, though being quite computer illiterate I don't know how I would input multichannel sound into that. It can play test tones in 7.1 but puts out most regular sound through just the front left and right, but all channels are still technically there. (I did find an online game used as a sort of sound test that puts out 7.1 PCM, it's at feistygalaxies.com warning the game is quite addictive and you'll be up all night playing it.)

I do have a box from Creative that will take up to 5.1 analog inputs and it outputs that as a DTS signal- that works quite well but with uncompressed multichannel PCM available now it makes more sense to do that instead.

But before HDMI, SACD and DVD-A players could ONLY output those formats via analog because of "copy protection concerns". It's ridiculous that now those players can't be used with most current receivers because they lack the proper inputs.
Yes but as the evolution of AVRs has resulted in the loss of multichannel analog inputs, the evolution of multichannel players shows the parallel loss of multichannel analog outputs. Older players work well with older AVRs and modern players work well with modern AVRs.

My laptop computer can put out a 7.1 channel PCM signal, though being quite computer illiterate I don't know how I would input multichannel sound into that.
Output over HDMI or something else?

I do have a box from Creative that will take up to 5.1 analog inputs and it outputs that as a DTS signal- that works quite well but with uncompressed multichannel PCM available now it makes more sense to do that instead.
To do what instead?

I run my multichannel on a PC or a Mac and output goes either via USB to a dedicated multichannel DAC that feeds a multichannel analog preamp or via HDMI to an AVR or AVP.

2-channel analog sound to 2-channel PCM HDMI seems like a non-issue, most TVs and receivers can do that. My laptop computer can put out a 7.1 channel PCM signal, though being quite computer illiterate I don't know how I would input multichannel sound into that. It can play test tones in 7.1 but puts out most regular sound through just the front left and right, but all channels are still technically there. (I did find an online game used as a sort of sound test that puts out 7.1 PCM, it's at feistygalaxies.com warning the game is quite addictive and you'll be up all night playing it.)

If you want to output multichannel music from your PC to an AVR using HDMI or S/PDIF, you can use Foobar2000 with WASAPI or ASIO output - this will bypass the Windows sound mixer and output the audio in multichannel form.

Back