J Geils Passes Away

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinter7

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reports are starting to surface of police finding J Geils deceased at his Mass. Home.
Very sad :(

some reports state:
Just to give you an idea how the big band was in the early '80s -- the Eagles, U2 and Billy Joel all opened for J. Geils on the road.

Geils was also unusual for giving his name to a group but not being its star (that would be Peter Wolf, and Wolf was always the prominent member). A fine musician, though, as were all the band, they were a lot of fun in their prime (I wasn't a fan of their '80s material, though I didn't think it bad, just trendy and obvious, like older rockers trying to sound hipper than they were).

RIP

ED

I saw them at least three times during the '70s. That was understandable, since they were as New England as I was, and it wasn't great distances to travel to get to their gigs. They also turned me on to some great '60s soul records they covered in concert that had escaped my notice (and I'm still seeking such things out, keeps me going in these strange days). I don't know how seriously they were as record collectors, but all--and esp. Wolf--seemed to have deep knowledge of '60s soul, a good thing for such a raucous bunch of players. They really rocked the house from start to finish.

ED :)

I honestly just find all these artists passing away as bizarre. I mean, as cliche as it sounds - it all sure makes a person feel "mortal". More than ever. To me, 71 no longer sounds that old, so yeah. There's that to think about.

Geils was also unusual for giving his name to a group but not being its star (that would be Peter Wolf, and Wolf was always the prominent member). A fine musician, though, as were all the band, they were a lot of fun in their prime (I wasn't a fan of their '80s material, though I didn't think it bad, just trendy and obvious, like older rockers trying to sound hipper than they were).
ED

The band itself barley made into the '80s albeit they did supernova. Love Stinks (January 1980 - Billboard 28 for the year) Freeze Frame (October 1981) Wolf was gone by 1983 and the band doesn't even acknowledge their last album in 1984.

If they were trendy in the 80's that is some good company to be in by my book.
Top selling albums in 1980 (late releases in '79 too): The Wall, The Long Run, Back In Black, Against the Wind, Emotional Rescue, Glass Houses, Damn the Torpedoes, In Through the Out Door, Tusk, Breakfast In America and the best album of all time London Calling.

Top Selling in 1981/ 1982: Double Fantasy, 4, Hi Infidelity, Escape, Long Distance Voyager, Asia, Mirage, American Fool

Personally, I loved all of Geils output but as a musician, I will miss J Geils the blues and Jazz guitarist. Had the pleasure to see him play in some clubs. Awesome.

I was about 12 when Centerfold came out on MTV in 1982 and it forever changed my life, just like seeing Leia in that metal bikini in 1983. Not really that familiar with most of their songs, but Centerfold, Freeze-Frame, and Love Stinks really defined that early teen part of my life, and Must of Got Lost is a great song too.

As far as the phenomenon of lots of rock musicians dying recently, I think it's just that rock had a finite beginning and we're just reaching that mile marker in time where a lot of the huge iconic artists from the late 60's/early70's are all getting old at relatively the same time, as many of them were about the same age when they started rockin'.

RIP

In '73, I had my first hi-fi job. Ladies Invited had just been released. My GF Heidi turned me on to them and I've been a fan ever since. That LP got heavy rotation in our store. Right after answering "who was that?", we'd sell them a copy.

If you've never heard it, you need their first record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J._Geils_Band_(album)
Sno-Cone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztBT2ueaz-k

Did You No Wrong from Ladies Invited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coyY2yvIWE

Better yet, collect 'em all!

Well, many moons ago I bought J. Geils Band "Live Full House" and I have been a fan ever since.

So sad that once again we are sharing our thoughts on another who has joined that "Band in the Sky." :smokin

RIP - and thanks for the memories that that young teen still holds. ( Well, I was a young teen once! )

Full House is one of their best, IMHO.

Well, many moons ago I bought J. Geils Band "Live Full House" and I have been a fan ever since.

So sad that once again we are sharing our thoughts on another who has joined that "Band in the Sky." :smokin

RIP - and thanks for the memories that that young teen still holds. ( Well, I was a young teen once! )

I honestly just find all these artists passing away as bizarre. I mean, as cliche as it sounds - it all sure makes a person feel "mortal". More than ever. To me, 71 no longer sounds that old, so yeah. There's that to think about.
No it's just time to be an old fart like the rest of us

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

This was also my first exposure to the J. Geils Band back in high school. I think someone brought this album in to listen to during our weekly record club get together. After hearing it, I immediately bought their then-current album, "Bloodshot", an early pressing in red vinyl. Still my favorite Geils record to this day.

According to the Quadraphonic Discography only one: "Nightmares and other tales from the Vinyl Jungle." Released by Atlantic Records on CD~4 disc & Q8.

Bloodshot was scheduled to be released but never saw the light of day. It even had catalog numbers. QD-7260 for the cd-4 and QT-7260 for the q8. And how many more were possibly mixed but never announced. Just look at all the Jethro Tull quads that have been discovered lately. I'm sure there are many goodies buried in the vaults.

Bloodshot was scheduled to be released but never saw the light of day. It even had catalog numbers. QD-7260 for the cd-4 and QT-7260 for the q8. And how many more were possibly mixed but never announced. Just look at all the Jethro Tull quads that have been discovered lately. I'm sure there are many goodies buried in the vaults.

Probably dozens of titles were announced for multichannel release.........but the question remains, were they ever completed?

Back