• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Amoeba Music Hollywood

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Just back from Amoeba in Hollywood, and they have a BOATLOAD of DVD-A titles, many of them new and sealed, and many for reasonable prices. I left behind copies of A Night At the Opera (2001 pedigree), Band on the Run ($50), Rumor & Sigh ($30 I think), Venus & Mars, and much much more.

I just checked their website and the listed inventory from a search on DVD-Audio does NOT represent what is currently in their bins. If it were me and I could not go directly to the store I might try calling the store and ask for the jazz & classical room, and just ask the guy if he would mind walking back there to read you off the titles. They are open for three more hours tonight. It looks like some industry dude just went in there and dumped his inventory.

I think they offer free shipping.

Just an FYI.

I don't believe that the Wings albums appeared on DVD-A, but rather DTS surround encoded CDs.

Were the DVD-A scattered or were they in a bin underneath the jazz LPs way on the back wall?

vinylguy4

Under the Jazz & music DVDs on the back wall. And quicksrt is correct - I am just using the DVD-A term generically to describe the super-jewel case titles, some of which are DVD-Audio and some of which are official DTS releases. I went back last night to harvest some for privateuniverse. There is still plenty to choose from. I have been going to Amoeba for years, and have never seen this volume of available surround titles.

Under the Jazz & music DVDs on the back wall. And quicksrt is correct - I am just using the DVD-A term generically to describe the super-jewel case titles, some of which are DVD-Audio and some of which are official DTS releases. I went back last night to harvest some for privateuniverse. There is still plenty to choose from. I have been going to Amoeba for years, and have never seen this volume of available surround titles.

Harvesting? You mean snapping up the deals, for flipping later? I'd better get down there quick. That is unless you got all the bargains that there were already.

Harvesting? You mean snapping up the deals, for flipping later? I'd better get down there quick. That is unless you got all the bargains that there were already.

No, there are plenty of things to be had. How often have you seen me selling here? I have never sold on Amazon or eBay. I am a collector, not a reseller.

Think about it. If I were going to clean them out of all the deals, why post to QQ about it? No my friend, this is about sharing the inside information with my close community. You among them - possibly in better position than most to take advantage. PM me if you want to meet down there tomorrow!

No, there are plenty of things to be had. How often have you seen me selling here? I have never sold on Amazon or eBay. I am a collector, not a reseller.

Think about it. If I were going to clean them out of all the deals, why post to QQ about it? No my friend, this is about sharing the inside information with my close community. You among them - possibly in better position than most to take advantage. PM me if you want to meet down there tomorrow!

I don't have a problem with harvesting a good crop of for sale or trade items out of titles going OOP or already OOP. I do it myself, and have stated it outright.

When I noticed that Amazon has Japanese sellers like Japanese Life Goods, and PURE JAPAN that are scooping up caseloads of AF product days before the US online sellers run out of stock on it, I feel it's fair game. Why let them get all the cool goodies just before they hit the roof in resale value. It really is nice to know that in 98% of the cases, AF are not getting stuck with boatloads of quadraphonic SACDs that nobody wants. The AF site runs out, the online stores run low and then out, and then other speculators scoop up the rest that can be found, and prices then start at $64 plus shipping. AF has a track record, or so it appears, of total sell-outs for each and every release.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, but I say get everything one can get while the gettin' is good.

One of the things I love about QQ is that we help each other to get the titles we all want, and that includes posting about deals, sales, and the availability of product as a kind of "insider information." That was the spirit in which I posted this thread. In that sense we are all on the same team, trying to get the good music into the ears that need to hear it.

As I travel around I go to lots of record stores all over the USA, and I do pick up titles if I know they are reasonably priced and in good condition. Some of these have found their way to trades, but I have yet to sell one for as much as a nickel over the price I paid. I would rather help to spread the music. That is just the way I approach it.

Anyway, I hope some of you are able to get down to Amoeba soon. It has been years since I have seen such an abundant selection of out of print surround titles in one place at one time.

One of the things I love about QQ is that we help each other to get the titles we all want, and that includes posting about deals, sales, and the availability of product as a kind of "insider information." That was the spirit in which I posted this thread. In that sense we are all on the same team, trying to get the good music into the ears that need to hear it.

As I travel around I go to lots of record stores all over the USA, and I do pick up titles if I know they are reasonably priced and in good condition. Some of these have found their way to trades, but I have yet to sell one for as much as a nickel over the price I paid. I would rather help to spread the music. That is just the way I approach it.

Anyway, I hope some of you are able to get down to Amoeba soon. It has been years since I have seen such an abundant selection of out of print surround titles in one place at one time.

Well put, and everyone should be of the same nature .(y)

Thanks for the info. I did go this past Sunday and was able to get a Queen ANATO 2001 version. They still had several copies, sealed. But they did put the price sticker over the date so made it difficult to determine the 2001 vs 2002.
Lots of other goodies still there. I did not get the Band on the Run, too much $$ for the extra 2 seconds, but still had several.

vinylguy4

Back