Live Albums Reissued in SACD Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depeche Mode's 101!!

Double stereo and multichannel SACDs. Immersive mix, sometimes discrete.

Just beware of the faulting version (first edition), wich was corrected on the second release.

Highly recommended for a concert experience listen :music

And the Multichannel music downloads from the Independent Record Labels and download sites.
They keep coming....

You mentioned in excess of 1,700 MCh downloads from Native DSD, Channel Classics, etc.. and that is great for Classical Music lovers and people who are into the other forms of music and production style/sound of those other labels you cite.. however, I fear my tastes are rather more Catholic/pedestrian and upon exploring what's on offer from some of those sources you refer to I've come to the conclusion much of it is possibly not going to do it for me, sadly, or is unlikely to be material I would return to time and again once I'd got my initial Surround fix out of it. I just want Surround music downloads of mainstream Rock, Pop, Jazz, Soul, R&B, etc. plus as much vintage Quad reissued in those genres as possible. It feels like we're a way off that being a realistic proposition at this point.

Maybe, but I certainly won't shed any tears for MoFi 's reduction , what with their stereo only ,reduction btw . If they continue to ignore a viable/$ option as surround I will reconsider.

Hear hear! I've actively boycotted MFSL for years now, their practices/business model has had (imho) a real, negative impact on our hobby. I shudder to think of the possibilities a surround friendly label like AF would have had for Quad reissues on MCh SACD, if not for MFSL's (inadvertent?) Quadblocking.

Nobody was a louder critic of MoFi's failure to do multichannel than myself but, frankly, you can't fight city hall. In MoFi's defense, their SACD reissues are mostly superb and some do decode well in faux surround but if you're looking for MORE multichannel titles, I'm afraid our only hope is Dutton Vocalion, SONY Japan and those artists who continue to release their current and back catalogues into 4.0/5.1.

The writing's ON THE WALL!

MoFi was promising at one time , one loooooong time ago . Four or five Vox Classical Quads and the 5.1 of Cowboy Junkies which is the one I have and do enjoy .
As to matrix decoding of stereo SACD ?, well yes but so does a good stereo cd for that matter .

Sony Japan , possibly Sony Hong Kong , Pentatone, Dutton Vocalion , A.P., A.F. are the SACD manufacturers I will support----because they get it . They understand there are surround afficinado's that will buy their titles .

Hear hear! I've actively boycotted MFSL for years now, their practices/business model has had (imho) a real, negative impact on our hobby. I shudder to think of the possibilities a surround friendly label like AF would have had for Quad reissues on MCh SACD, if not for MFSL's (inadvertent?) Quadblocking.

Yes indeed. Because of MoFo's stoic insistence of stereo only of many many releases that have quad copies likely at hand, they did inadvertently hamper A.F.'S Quad releases , in an anti-quad manner.

It's not too late for MoFi to make amends. Hell if they issued only one or two it would help with their respective policy.

Yes indeed. Because of MoFo's stoic insistence of stereo only of many many releases that have quad copies likely at hand, they did inadvertently hamper A.F.'S Quad releases , in an anti-quad manner.

It's not too late for MoFi to make amends. Hell if they issued only one or two it would help with their respective policy.

Not that I was chagrined with MoFi's Stereo Only SACD policy, but honestly, I think we've all beat this dead horse to death.

AP and MoFi are first and foremost VINYL releasing companies and methinks SACD was their 'side line' to satisfy digital aficionados who long ago retired their analogue set~ups.

When bmoura carefully explained the complex and expensive process of licensing Stereo RBCD, Stereo SACD and 4.0/5.1 layers from the record conglomerates (3 separate contracts) for a single multichannel reissue, that lightbulb 'clearly' went off in my head. Audio Fidelity did manage to release approximately 30 4.0/5.1 SACD releases which we all took for granted would keep flowing INDEFINITELY but when the reality set in that it was hardly a money making proposition [some of those QUAD SACDs ended up in the bargain bins for $10 or less], the eccentricities of releasing Surround SACDs stateside [compared to the MORE amenable licensing fees of say, UK's Dutton Vocalion) finally hit home.

And now that MoFi is ordering ONLY 2000 copies of a given SACD title constitutes another issue altogether........HOW LONG will they keep releasing SACDs before they eventually pull the plug altogether on that format?

Face it folks.....we are a minute niche market
and we can complain all we want but the bottom line is NONE of these reissue companies are going to cater to a minority when the bottom line is $$PROFITABILITY$$!

And now that MoFi is ordering ONLY 2000 copies of a given SACD title constitutes another issue altogether........HOW LONG will they keep releasing SACDs before they eventually pull the plug altogether on that format?

The size of pressing runs for all optical discs - CDs, SACDs, etc. - is shrinking industry-wide as their sales continue to decline.
How long will optical discs be around? Naxos says 5 to 10 years. Over time, we will see how close to the mark that projection is.

The size of pressing runs for all optical discs - CDs, SACDs, etc. - is shrinking industry-wide as their sales continue to decline.
How long will optical discs be around? Naxos says 5 to 10 years. Over time, we will see how close to the mark that projection is.

Doubtful, Brian, that we'll have optical discs for that length of time. Naxos' projection seems awfully generous.

Off topic: Even the 4K UHD BD~V launch seems sluggish compared to the initial launch of 1080p BD~V and, most unfortunately, a lot of those newly minted 4K UHDs are from [ugh] 2K masters. Buyer Beware!:yikes

Back