Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: matrix encoding software (windows)

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default matrix encoding software (windows)

hi

I've seen a fair amount about decoding QS and SQ through software - also I have SureCode
    so I can take my 4 channel tapes and make DTS CDs. I can even play these DTS CDs - and take the
    analog feeds - run them through a SQ encoder and end up with a martix file/recording.
    I'd like to eliminate a couple of steps - take 4 mono .wav files and end up with a SQ/matrix stereo
    WAV file.

any ideas?

thanks

2. Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

I've done it before using Adobe Audition with phase bug. Somewhere I wrote out a procedure but basically you have to apply the proper phase shift to the rear channels. -90 for Lb, 90 for Rb, also need Lb at 180 deg and Rb with no phase shift. Mix them together in the right proportions, lower signal levels before mixing to prevent clipping. Slightly different coefficients can be used (Forward Oriented Encoding) if you get too much signal loss (cancellation) with the original coefficients.
    With DTS and discrete wav or flac files I don't really see much need to do this anymore. I used the Multitrack mixer in Audion to combine the signals.
    It should be possible to automate the procedure running scripts but I never got around to figuring that out.
    You can do QS or EV4 in a similar manor as well.

4. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I do remember reading (quite a while back) your procedure - and it reads like a champ. -
    I dummied up a harwar version by taking a strati SQ decoder - running the rear channels through it -
    the mixing the rear channel decoder output with a straight through of the front channels. - this works
    fine, was just hoping for something like a surcode interface -
    drop in the for mono wavs and click go (getting lazy in my old age) - getting??

why do this?

glad you asked.

I have a little radio show, and feature a section in quad. of course it has to be matrix - but I encourage my listeners to put on head phones, or run the sound through a modern home surround system - and the effects are quite nice. I've SQ encoded many CD-4, Q8 and open reel sources - but still have many to do (plus many muti-track recordings that have never been released in a quad format) -

I appreciate your reply (was hoping I didn't just get a "do a search jerk" - but then again, this forum/site/group has always been comprised of people of quality :-)

Thanks again
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    I've done it before using Adobe Audition with phase bug. Somewhere I wrote out a procedure but basically you have to apply the proper phase shift to the rear channels. -90 for Lb, 90 for Rb, also need Lb at 180 deg and Rb with no phase shift. Mix them together in the right proportions, lower signal levels before mixing to prevent clipping. Slightly different coefficients can be used (Forward Oriented Encoding) if you get too much signal loss (cancellation) with the original coefficients.
    With DTS and discrete wav or flac files I don't really see much need to do this anymore. I used the Multitrack mixer in Audion to combine the signals.
    It should be possible to automate the procedure running scripts but I never got around to figuring that out.

600 Club - QQ All Star rustyandi's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

I don,t know if this is what you want
    But if you contact Involve Audio
    They had a stand alone QS encoder
    4 Channels in RCA. 2 channels out RCA

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks - that might work

Quote Originally Posted by rustyandi View Post
    I don,t know if this is what you want
    But if you contact Involve Audio
    They had a stand alone QS encoder
    4 Channels in RCA. 2 channels out RCA

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a simple script I created for Audition 3 which doesn't use the Phase Bug. Required files are LF.wav, RF.wav, LB.wav, RB.wav and SQMatrix.wav.
    SQmatrix.wav is just a very short empty stereo wav file.(Say 10 secs) It doesn't need to match the length of the other wav files.
    Be sure to change the paths to the files in the script so that they match the paths in your setup

4 Channel to SQ.txt

9. Thanks par4ken thanked for this post
    Likes par4ken liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious Bill,

Where's the show/times ? And more importantly where locally can some QQ members hear the results ?

Headphones huh, well wouldn't that correlate with this link

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...hout-a-Decoder

Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monarchee View Post
    Here's a simple script I created for Audition 3 which doesn't use the Phase Bug. Required files are LF.wav, RF.wav, LB.wav, RB.wav and SQMatrix.wav.
    SQmatrix.wav is just a very short empty stereo wav file.(Say 10 secs) It doesn't need to match the length of the other wav files.
    Be sure to change the paths to the files in the script so that they match the paths in your setup

4 Channel to SQ.txt
    I tried running your SQ Encode script but it stops running as it's attempting to copy the LB.wav file. Any ideas?