Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: matrix encoding software (windows)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    123
    Points
    11,599
    Level
    70
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default matrix encoding software (windows)

    hi

    I've seen a fair amount about decoding QS and SQ through software - also I have SureCode
    so I can take my 4 channel tapes and make DTS CDs. I can even play these DTS CDs - and take the
    analog feeds - run them through a SQ encoder and end up with a martix file/recording.
    I'd like to eliminate a couple of steps - take 4 mono .wav files and end up with a SQ/matrix stereo
    WAV file.

    any ideas?

    thanks

  2. Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member par4ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario
    Posts
    278
    Points
    7,188
    Level
    56
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    I've done it before using Adobe Audition with phase bug. Somewhere I wrote out a procedure but basically you have to apply the proper phase shift to the rear channels. -90 for Lb, 90 for Rb, also need Lb at 180 deg and Rb with no phase shift. Mix them together in the right proportions, lower signal levels before mixing to prevent clipping. Slightly different coefficients can be used (Forward Oriented Encoding) if you get too much signal loss (cancellation) with the original coefficients.
    With DTS and discrete wav or flac files I don't really see much need to do this anymore. I used the Multitrack mixer in Audion to combine the signals.
    It should be possible to automate the procedure running scripts but I never got around to figuring that out.
    You can do QS or EV4 in a similar manor as well.

  4. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    123
    Points
    11,599
    Level
    70
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Thanks - I do remember reading (quite a while back) your procedure - and it reads like a champ. -
    I dummied up a harwar version by taking a strati SQ decoder - running the rear channels through it -
    the mixing the rear channel decoder output with a straight through of the front channels. - this works
    fine, was just hoping for something like a surcode interface -
    drop in the for mono wavs and click go (getting lazy in my old age) - getting??

    why do this?

    glad you asked.

    I have a little radio show, and feature a section in quad. of course it has to be matrix - but I encourage my listeners to put on head phones, or run the sound through a modern home surround system - and the effects are quite nice. I've SQ encoded many CD-4, Q8 and open reel sources - but still have many to do (plus many muti-track recordings that have never been released in a quad format) -

    I appreciate your reply (was hoping I didn't just get a "do a search jerk" - but then again, this forum/site/group has always been comprised of people of quality :-)

    Thanks again
    Bill



    Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    I've done it before using Adobe Audition with phase bug. Somewhere I wrote out a procedure but basically you have to apply the proper phase shift to the rear channels. -90 for Lb, 90 for Rb, also need Lb at 180 deg and Rb with no phase shift. Mix them together in the right proportions, lower signal levels before mixing to prevent clipping. Slightly different coefficients can be used (Forward Oriented Encoding) if you get too much signal loss (cancellation) with the original coefficients.
    With DTS and discrete wav or flac files I don't really see much need to do this anymore. I used the Multitrack mixer in Audion to combine the signals.
    It should be possible to automate the procedure running scripts but I never got around to figuring that out.
    You can do QS or EV4 in a similar manor as well.

  6. #4
    700 Club - QQ All Star rustyandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Points
    24,327
    Level
    94
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    I've done it before using Adobe Audition with phase bug. Somewhere I wrote out a procedure but basically you have to apply the proper phase shift to the rear channels. -90 for Lb, 90 for Rb, also need Lb at 180 deg and Rb with no phase shift. Mix them together in the right proportions, lower signal levels before mixing to prevent clipping. Slightly different coefficients can be used (Forward Oriented Encoding) if you get too much signal loss (cancellation) with the original coefficients.
    With DTS and discrete wav or flac files I don't really see much need to do this anymore. I used the Multitrack mixer in Audion to combine the signals.
    It should be possible to automate the procedure running scripts but I never got around to figuring that out.
    You can do QS or EV4 in a similar manor as well.
    I don,t know if this is what you want
    But if you contact Involve Audio
    They had a stand alone QS encoder
    4 Channels in RCA. 2 channels out RCA

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    123
    Points
    11,599
    Level
    70
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    thanks - that might work







    Quote Originally Posted by rustyandi View Post
    I don,t know if this is what you want
    But if you contact Involve Audio
    They had a stand alone QS encoder
    4 Channels in RCA. 2 channels out RCA

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21
    Points
    8,002
    Level
    60
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    I've done it before using Adobe Audition with phase bug. Somewhere I wrote out a procedure but basically you have to apply the proper phase shift to the rear channels. -90 for Lb, 90 for Rb, also need Lb at 180 deg and Rb with no phase shift. Mix them together in the right proportions, lower signal levels before mixing to prevent clipping. Slightly different coefficients can be used (Forward Oriented Encoding) if you get too much signal loss (cancellation) with the original coefficients.
    With DTS and discrete wav or flac files I don't really see much need to do this anymore. I used the Multitrack mixer in Audion to combine the signals.
    It should be possible to automate the procedure running scripts but I never got around to figuring that out.
    You can do QS or EV4 in a similar manor as well.
    Here's a simple script I created for Audition 3 which doesn't use the Phase Bug. Required files are LF.wav, RF.wav, LB.wav, RB.wav and SQMatrix.wav.
    SQmatrix.wav is just a very short empty stereo wav file.(Say 10 secs) It doesn't need to match the length of the other wav files.
    Be sure to change the paths to the files in the script so that they match the paths in your setup

    4 Channel to SQ.txt

  9. Thanks par4ken thanked for this post
    Likes par4ken liked this post
  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    123
    Points
    11,599
    Level
    70
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    thanks

  11. #8
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    wpg, mb
    Posts
    2,723
    Points
    104,195
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdrive
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Curious Bill,

    Where's the show/times ? And more importantly where locally can some QQ members hear the results ?


    Headphones huh, well wouldn't that correlate with this link

    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...hout-a-Decoder

  12. #9
    Senior Member par4ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario
    Posts
    278
    Points
    7,188
    Level
    56
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by monarchee View Post
    Here's a simple script I created for Audition 3 which doesn't use the Phase Bug. Required files are LF.wav, RF.wav, LB.wav, RB.wav and SQMatrix.wav.
    SQmatrix.wav is just a very short empty stereo wav file.(Say 10 secs) It doesn't need to match the length of the other wav files.
    Be sure to change the paths to the files in the script so that they match the paths in your setup

    4 Channel to SQ.txt
    I tried running your SQ Encode script but it stops running as it's attempting to copy the LB.wav file. Any ideas?

  13. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21
    Points
    8,002
    Level
    60
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    When you say "It stops running" Does it say the script has stopped or does it just appear to have hung and is not doing anything?

    If the script has stopped running then I would say you have done some thing wrong in adapting the script for your PC.
    Have you altered the paths to your wav files correctly. ?
    If not. What length are the files . On 4min 50sec files which I test it on it takes my PC 1min 50secs to complete. Maybe it is just taking it's time on larger files.

    Are you using Audtion 3? The scripting method was changed when Audition 3 was released.

  14. #11
    Senior Member par4ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario
    Posts
    278
    Points
    7,188
    Level
    56
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by monarchee View Post
    When you say "It stops running" Does it say the script has stopped or does it just appear to have hung and is not doing anything?

    If the script has stopped running then I would say you have done some thing wrong in adapting the script for your PC.
    Have you altered the paths to your wav files correctly. ?
    If not. What length are the files . On 4min 50sec files which I test it on it takes my PC 1min 50secs to complete. Maybe it is just taking it's time on larger files.

    Are you using Audtion 3? The scripting method was changed when Audition 3 was released.
    The script says copying LB, it gets to 100 percent then a box pops up saying Script Stopped. My path is the same as yours with XXXX changed to Ken. I've reloaded the original script from your original file just in case I changed something, with the same result.
    I've also tried different wav files and different bit and sample rates. SQMatrix file was about 15 seconds long. The four mono wav files match each other for length, bit rate and sample frequency, they also match SQMatrix in bit and depth as well, except that file is stereo.
    I'm using Audition 3. The first set of wave files were 5min 40 second in length, second set that I tried were 2 minutes long.

  15. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21
    Points
    8,002
    Level
    60
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    The script says copying LB, it gets to 100 percent then a box pops up saying Script Stopped. My path is the same as yours with XXXX changed to Ken. I've reloaded the original script from your original file just in case I changed something, with the same result.
    I've also tried different wav files and different bit and sample rates. SQMatrix file was about 15 seconds long. The four mono wav files match each other for length, bit rate and sample frequency, they also match SQMatrix in bit and depth as well, except that file is stereo.
    I'm using Audition 3. The first set of wave files were 5min 40 second in length, second set that I tried were 2 minutes long.
    Have you got the patch for Audition 3.0 to make it 3.0.1. Immediately after the first copying of LB.wav it is phase shifted. The patch fixes a problem with phase shifting and quite a few other things.
    The patch can be downloaded from here. http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=4237

  16. Thanks par4ken thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker liked this post
  17. #13
    Senior Member par4ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario
    Posts
    278
    Points
    7,188
    Level
    56
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by monarchee View Post
    Have you got the patch for Audition 3.0 to make it 3.0.1. Immediately after the first copying of LB.wav it is phase shifted. The patch fixes a problem with phase shifting and quite a few other things.
    The patch can be downloaded from here. http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=4237
    The script works with the patch installed.
    Thanks!!!

  18. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21
    Points
    8,002
    Level
    60
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: matrix encoding software (windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    The script works with the patch installed.
    Thanks!!!
    Excellent.

    QS Matrix if you want it.

    4 Channel to QS.txt

  19. Thanks par4ken thanked for this post
    Likes par4ken liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •