Anthony Phillips - Slow Dance CD & 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
We really need a thread which is a Pre-release Surround rather than just rumours - Mod please?

So Burning Shed have just sneaked this one in, and I've pre-ordered https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/8663/

Anthony Philips - Slow Dance 2xCD & 5.1 DVD

Slow Dance.jpg

A deluxe edition of Anthony Phillips' instrumental album from 1990.

Regarded by aficionados of Anthony's work as one of his finest releases, Slow Dance comprises a two part 50 minute Orchestral Rock suite which showcases Anthony's music at its most expansive and imaginative.

This 2017 triple disc deluxe edition features a remastered original stereo mix plus a 5.1 Surround sound mix by Simon Heyworth (on an ntsc / region free DVD), along with a CD of previously unreleased 'Slow Dance Vignettes'.

The set includes an illustrated booklet with an essay by Jon Dann.

Pre-order for 16th June release.

We really need a thread which is a Pre-release Surround rather than just rumours - Mod please?

Sure, why not? Then again, you can always bring yourselves up to speed by visiting my blog... ;)

Last edited:
I don't know, I've never heard it before either! I've enjoyed all the others (I originally had 1984 on cassette, and it still plays!) so I bought it.

Agreed!

Haven't heard this album, is it mainly acoustic? Also appear to be dvd-v?

Just preordered this release from Burning Shed.
The other 4 releases in this series have been so good, so I'm glad they are continuing with this album.
I hope it's a DVD-A/V disc like all the others, but something makes me very uncertain about this, just because of the other recent Esoteric Barclay James Harvest releases (which are all DVD-V but incorrectly labeled as DVD-A) plus the fact that DVD-A/V releases seem to be on the decline again in general. (Only one such confirmed release so far this year, which is the new reissue of "The Great Cold Distance" by Katatonia)

DISSAPPOINTED!!!
Ambiance 5.1 mix!
Oh nooooooooooooo! :(

That's a shame…
Help me out here.
Who's credited for the surround mix in this set?
Is it the same team as the other 4 releases?
If so, that's REALLY a shame, cause the other 4 releases are really well mixed (not to mention that the other 4 releases are DVD-A/V as opposed to this release…)

(n)

That's a shame…
Help me out here.
Who's credited for the surround mix in this set?
Is it the same team as the other 4 releases?
If so, that's REALLY a shame, cause the other 4 releases are really well mixed (not to mention that the other 4 releases are DVD-A/V as opposed to this release…)

(n)

According to Esoteric website, it's Simon Heyworth.

I've seen another review claiming the 5.1 mix is amazing.. anyone else receive this yet and can confirm this either way? Still waiting for mine in Canada

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, this is the only Anthony Phillips title I didn't order. At this point, I'll wait to hear from others, though the Imachine's comments makes me shudder.

There are elements that are discreet, but not so many.
The second track seems to have more of them,
but I like the other releases much more.

It's sad, because it is my favorite album.

I will raise my rears and hear what happens.
Perhaps they are mixed too low.

I've listened to this twice, and unfortunately I have to agree with IMachine's comments, its not very immersive :(. It is the same mixing team as all the others, and I love all of the others. I haven't heard it very loud yet so I will definitely have another go. I don't like it when I feel I have to get up and walk to the rear speakers to check that I'm not just in stereo, and I'm definitely getting that with this disc. I've listened to the stereo mix and I think you get a better sense of the various instruments than you do in the surround mix.

So very odd, when you consider the other titles are very good - IMO that is. Same guy, so what happened? Is this one older than other releases?

So very odd, when you consider the other titles are very good - IMO that is. Same guy, so what happened? Is this one older than other releases?

No, its actually quite a bit later, here are the release years:

The Geese and the Ghost (1977)
Wise After the Event (1978)
Sides (1979)
1984 (1981)
Slow Dance (1990)

Its more of a "new age"y release than the others, much less real instruments, so I suppose there's less to work with in terms of surround.

How is the fidelity? :)

Yep! Thats exactly what I've done, because I couldn't believe...

I had to listen again after reading this review:

http://allabouttherock.co.uk/anthony-phillips-slow-dance-remastered-expanded-deluxe-edition/

This review makes it sound good, but I'm really not hearing the last paragraph about the surround mix!

With the first disc of this set being the complete, 50 minute, new mix, sounds so much better. It’s after you compare the 1990 version with this new disc that you realize how much music & subtle nuances were missing.

The harp, piccolo, clarinet & trumpet, sound absolutely stunning & provide stunning counterparts to Anthony’s multi instrumentation’s.

The 3rd disc is the masterstroke.This is a DVD & has a 5.1 surround mix as well as the standard studio mix. The 5.1 is amazing & puts the listener firmly in the centre of the music & offers a whole new perspective on the experience.

Back