Vinyl is making a comeback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason vinyl is making a comeback in my house is because my ex has all my vinyl collection / equipt / money ! But I got the kid ! WIN , WIN !!!!!!!

I often go to these used music stores looking for stuff, and one was informing me of the fact most of it is the younger kids buying up the stuff we listened to-( the 70's ) Led zep, Cream, etc. and they are buying good quality TT. He did mention it seems to be the consensuses the kids are fed up with poor compressed audio.
Hmm, would it not be grand if they began to manufacture quad L P's again?

Sadly, it has nothing to do with kids being unsatisfied with compressed and hyped CD audio.
These same kids will argue with you that 24 bit and HD audio are a waste of drive space and no one can tell the difference. Heck, they even say they can't tell the difference between CD and mp3!

No, it's a nostalgia for the weird sound of their parents malfunctioning turntable! They want to hear their mp3 with the "vinyl effect" on it.

They're not looking for a more accurate delivery of the master recording. They think their mp3 is already that.
These folks aren't sitting in their well tuned rooms listening to 24 bit HD digital with their boutique DA converters and B&W or Adams speakers thinking "Nope. This doesn't make the cut. I need to spend another $30,000 on a new turntable!"
They're listening to mp3's with their Blose ear buds and iThings and vinyl is a nostalgic curiosity.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with kids being unsatisfied with compressed and hyped CD audio.
These same kids will argue with you that 24 bit and HD audio are a waste of drive space and no one can tell the difference. Heck, they even say they can't tell the difference between CD and mp3!

No, it's a nostalgia for the weird sound of their parents malfunctioning turntable! They want to hear their mp3 with the "vinyl effect" on it.

They're not looking for a more accurate delivery of the master recording. They think their mp3 is already that.
These folks aren't sitting in their well tuned rooms listening to 24 bit HD digital with their boutique DA converters and B&W or Adams speakers thinking "Nope. This doesn't make the cut. I need to spend another $30,000 on a new turntable!"
They're listening to mp3's with their Blose ear buds and iThings and vinyl is a nostalgic curiosity.

I agree with everything you just said.

Vinyl has made a come back for me personally because I have basically run out of sacd's and dvd-audio discs to purchase. I am a collector of "things" and have accrued most of what there is in the sacd/dvd-audio area.

By purchasing vinyl, I get some nostalgia and the novelty of something old being new again. It's also been fun restoring an old Akai AP206 turntable and Sony PSX500. The Sony is part of a 2.1 system for my 16 year-old daughter(Denon AVR3000, Martinlogan Motion 4's, and Emotiva Ultra12 sub). It sounds better than anything I had back in the late 70's to early 80's!

I am not ready to go all out just yet, although I have looked into a Music Hall 7.3 rig!

Curiously I was told that many are buying the Regza TT, with good carts. I know lots of people don't bother, because of what they get free, or just listen to garbage. Too many are into easy. But, fact remains young people are waking up to poor audio quality and sick of the music that's out now, the reason they listen to our stuff. That can't be denied. Ask Bull Moose Records, or the used record stores that are all over the place. Someone is buying enough to keep them viable.
You just can't generalize and put everyone into that group that is painfully unaware. Ask A kid who is buying the LP's, and they will tell you-audio quality. I have anyway.

My 24 year old son also buys vinyl quite a bit. For him it has nothing to do with the sound quality. Its a novelty and he likes the packaging.

Back