Purple Rain Deluxe edition - track listing leaked

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeddia

This has popped up over the past couple days. Great that they're releasing a deluxe edition (sadly, no surround...), but that 2nd disc...wth? Whoever was in charge of this project needs their toes stomped on. Why would we want a compilation of remastered 7" edit versions...? lol. The 3rd disc will be the selling point for fans. Disc 1, of course, will be the remastered LP itself.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/04/20/purple-rain-deluxe-tracklist/

This has popped up over the past couple days. Great that they're releasing a deluxe edition (sadly, no surround...), but that 2nd disc...wth? Whoever was in charge of this project needs their toes stomped on. Why would we want a compilation of remastered 7" edit versions...? lol. The 3rd disc will be the selling point for fans. Disc 1, of course, will be the remastered LP itself.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/04/20/purple-rain-deluxe-tracklist/

Thanks for the heads~up. Not surprising there's NO 5.1 remix. Even the remastered BD~V of Purple Rain has only ambience in the rear (although the video is much improved).

Supposedly, Prince had approximately 140 unissued albums in his vaults. The sad reality is that whenever a deceased artist leaves such a well~heeled legacy behind, the family who inherits it squanders its potential worth. IMO, all of Prince's albums would make more than worthy 5.1 releases but the chances of that happening are akin to what happened [is happening] to the Michael Jackson and Frank Zappa estates.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Purple Rain slated to be a 5.1 DVD~A release before Warners pulled the plug on DVD~A releases?

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Purple Rain slated to be a 5.1 DVD~A release before Warners pulled the plug on DVD~A releases?

I'd never heard that before. Would've been a nice one for the collection though.

WB & The Family Estate really dropped the ball on this.

One could guess purposely for the Purple Rain "Immersion" set for 2019...

...or they are grossly incompetent.

We'll know in a year or two...

Looks like it was accurate as far as track listings go. However, there's also (!!!) a DVD of the '85 Syracuse concert. That is precious. A truly great concert video finally officially released on disc - as opposed to crappy VHS-->DVD bootlegs. Here's the official link:

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/04/dearly-beloved-details-on-purple-rain-reissue-finally-confirmed/

Not a bad price considering you get 3 chock full RBCDs and 1 DVD. Would've been nice if they could've squeezed a 96/24 DVD~A stereo remaster on the DVD. Also surprised it's being released through WARNER MUSIC since Prince only recently took possession of those master tapes from Warner Brother Records.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718ZCS6...is-20&linkId=23b451c6c1c16eb309294eedf1b2e8f5

I don't see the 12" single version of Let's go Crazy (the movie version with piano).

At the time, we can be sure a PURPLE DVD-A was considered, even desired, by Warners. But like a few others that were also up for release (MOONDANCE--which we did get eventually; LED ZEP IV, which we didn't) the artist can be the roadblock, not the label. And now that he's gone, the estate will doubtless be a contentious mess for years to come and beyond, so it would likely take a miracle of serendipity for 5.1 to happen for anything. And, let's face it, the market for something that good is at best limited; no big money to be made, and Prince's catalog can be mined eternally the way MJ's, Zappa's, Hendrix's is, without doing anything inordinately elaborate.

ED :)

Shame they didn't include the original performance of Purple Rain before the edits and overdubs used on the album. It was filmed and recorded live (obviously for use later on the album).

Back