Record store day. What did you get?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter

Since 2002/2003
I have 2 good record stores within a couple of blocks of each other. I went down into the area knowing they both opened at 10am today about 10:15. The line to get into Homers was all the way to the end of the block. I headed down the street to Drastic Plastic and saw people already coming out of the store with bags. Went down the stairs into the store and was probably 1 of maybe 70 to 80 people in the store. Missed on some items that I saw others carrying. I bought The Beatles 45 with Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever that is the new stereo remix. I also bought the Jason Isbell Live From Welcome To 1979 ep, The Cars Live At The Agora Ballroom 1978 double lp, Lou Reed Perfect Night Live In London double lp & Drive-By Truckers Live in Studio NY,NY 7/12/16 lp. I also picked up the new Godfathers cd while I was standing in line to check out. I was hoping to find the double Elton lp or the McCartney cassette but no luck. I was also looking for the Dave and Phil Alvin release but was told their store did not receive it. The store did not receive the Flat Duo Jets either. My bank account is probably happy that I did not find any of those and I passed on some other things I would have liked to own. That was my record store day 2017 experience.

Cool The Cars catch....the moving in stereo-all mixed up tracks back to back were always a favorite deep cut on my old fm station programming roster. (Although I would include bye bye love with it to fully appreciate the genius of that debut album)

I was most hoping to find the Bowie & Elton pieces, sadly my store had neither when I got there. There was very little left at all. (The store clerk told me there was a huge line before 8 AM and those pieces all went immediately.) I ended up with a cool Bevis Frond double colored vinyl LP. I also got the U2 picture disc (2017 remix of "Red Hill Mining Town", my favorite tune on The Joshua Tree.) Sadly, I didn't much care for the remix, and I don't think it will be a collectable item as they had lots left over.

I would be curious if anyone can tell me about the quality on Cracked Actor or the bonus cuts on 17-11-70. The concert that is the source for Cracked Actor has been released multiple times over the years on quasi-legitimate releases, but this is supposed to be a new mix from Tony Visconti. As for 17-11-70, when it got a CD reissue in the 90's, producer Gus Dudgeon stated that the multi-track masters for the songs that hadn't been used on the original LP were in very poor shape and he was only able to salvage one song ("Amoreena") to add to the reissue. I'd love to know the quality of all the bonus cuts on the 2nd LP.

I looked at all of the special RSD stuff and left it behind. Too pricey. I found a SQ Quad copy of Cat Stevens's Buddah and the Chocolate box in the regular LP bins, and bought that instead.

I went to Records Per Minute in Columbus, Ohio, but not until four hours after they opened. There wasn't anything on the list I was dying to have, and the only reason I went was to find a few items for a friend who couldn't make it. When I got there, of course they were still very busy, but I heard that the first customer was there at 8 o'clock... 8 o'clock THE PREVIOUS NIGHT just as they were closing!

Anyway, my friend wanted the Beatles single and the three Zombies singles. They told me they received 20 copies of The Beatles and they were all sold shortly after they opened. I did manage to find two Zombies singles, but later in the day I received a call from QQ member Dennis Mabry, who was at the wonderful Finder's Records in Bowling Green, Ohio. I told him what I needed, and he found the other Zombies single for my buddy who couldn't make it! No luck on The Beatles.

As for myself, I picked up Elton's "17-11-70+". I find it interesting but not surprising that some of you found The Beatles but couldn't get Elton, and I had the opposite experience. That's really how the whole thing works - it's like a national Easter egg hunt! I will report back on the quality, but I also have to say that this is my FIRST time hearing this record AT ALL; regardless, if there's a difference between the original and previously unreleased tracks it should be evident. Stay tuned.

I have to say, some people hate the whole concept, and when there is something I absolutely HAVE to have, I hate it, too. But outside from those life-or-death purchases (tongue in cheek... not really... okay, maybe), it really is a fun little game. On the other hand, it's a good excuse to go record shopping, regardless.

it's curious because it's so often The Beatles getting the headlines - and of course it's well deserved, they're the biggest band of all time - but it was interesting the top item and artist was Elton and they chose to make him an RSD Legend.

I wonder if there wasn't as much interest/demand for Elton's release on RSD as any of the other artists?
so many fans (and non fans) I chat to and read their comments online are well up for new remasters and/or vinyl reissues of his back catalogue.

It's not that EJ's catalogue hasn't all been done before or that his 70's albums are hard to come by, it's the general feeling I get that his catalogues not been handled that well and that so many old copies of his 70's classics on LP are knackered.

still hopeful one day we might get those Greg Penny 5.1 remixes.. quite what configuration or how RSD could help make that happen (I don't think the vinyl revival will help the cause in that respect at all) I don't know.. but it is interesting that the new people controlling his catalogue are finally plundering the vault for the kind of things that should have been released officially a long time ago.. ah well, better late than never..

This is what I got. Would've been more if money had been no object...

18056277_10155066227200499_5855077562588811173_o.jpg

As for 17-11-70, when it got a CD reissue in the 90's, producer Gus Dudgeon stated that the multi-track masters for the songs that hadn't been used on the original LP were in very poor shape and he was only able to salvage one song ("Amoreena") to add to the reissue. I'd love to know the quality of all the bonus cuts on the 2nd LP.

Boy, side 4 sounds excellent to me! I'll be surprised if side 3 is any less.

As for 17-11-70, when it got a CD reissue in the 90's, producer Gus Dudgeon stated that the multi-track masters for the songs that hadn't been used on the original LP were in very poor shape and he was only able to salvage one song ("Amoreena") to add to the reissue. I'd love to know the quality of all the bonus cuts on the 2nd LP.

I wanted to get one of those, but the store only got 3 copies and I missed it. I'm curious if any attempt was made to salvage the...umm...imperfect harmonies on "My Father's Gun" as documented on the bootlegs.

I did get the Pink Floyd and really like it. I digitized it on the first playing, as usual doing the initial capture at 24/96 with the intent to downrez to CD quality for day to day use. To my amazement, a spectral view in Adobe Audition showed signal up past 45k on the cymbal crashes! I have no idea if it's really in the vinyl or some harmonic introduced somewhere in the chain, but it's fascinating.
InterstellarSpectrum.jpg

Not Rs day, I missed out on because of my truck-but I just nailed a deal! My Morph dvd a went bad, just got a replacement -get this, $12.00 ! the set as it was sold.:banana::

Back