JVC 5100 Quad Rear Amp w/ Quad & non-Quad Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDHndrsn

I have an obscure JVC GX-500E quad receiver on which the rear left channel went and I just have not had time to get to diagnose and repair. Already had a 4VR-5456 in the wings, so no critical matter.

Recently I came across a JVC 5100 rear amp off of the bay for only $10. Impulse buy. Not working. Yada yada. Got it today. The thing looks like its just off the shelf. Mint. New. Popped the hood and ... the internal voltage selector was set for Europe. Lucky me. :banana:

But that got me to thinking.

Is anyone familiar enough with JVC to predict what will happen if the pre-out/main-in of a JVC quad receiver is plugged into the 5100 rear quad amp? Also curious if this rear channel amp is compatible with a non-JVC receiver.

I know enough to understand that volume control is handed off to the 5100 when connected to a 2-channel JVC unit. The schematic (as I interpret) indicates nothing more complex. If the 5100 is set to 2-channel mode, the receiver operates as normal sans for volume control .If the rear amp works with non-JVC equipment it would be incredible for discrete quad audio. Turn an SX-780 into a quad receiver, for example.

Or maybe not.

I don't want to blow anything by trying this, but I think it should work. Thoughts and predictions by any JVC gurus before I give this a try?
Dave

Back