I have saved about a dozen audio magazines that focused on Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
By audio I mean audio related (not necessarily Audio magazine itself)
If there is a real interest, I can start scanning them and putting them up -
not sure if anyone would actually care - so let me know (its not an insignificant
amount of work). I offer an example
here are 4 pages from the High Fidelity 1974 consumer's guide to four-channel
sound also - not sure how legible these will be - so if there is an interest in a
particular section, I can forward a full sized scan of the whole thing, or section
that is of interest.

quad-decks-01.jpg

quad-decks-02.jpg
quad-decks-01.jpg
quad-decks-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I've owned, worked on, or seen a lot of those models. Never saw a Crown International but it looks like the older TEAC modulars. Or, the deck that plays 4ch at 15, 7.5, 3 3/4, or 1 7/8!

Those were some healthy prices for 1974 :eek:

Of course, as a young teen into King Crimson, I was lusting for a mellotron (going price a mere 4k dollars :yikes ). I was sent a catalogue for mellotrons, wish I had kept it!

Just looking at all those Quad Tape Decks, wow, how I'd wanted one back in '74, as I thumbed through Hi-Fi mags, though we didn't seem to have so many decks on sale over here in the UK. I've only 2 stereo R-to-Rs both Akai, nothing Quad :(

It is nice watching the reels go round and the needles on the meters twitch as the music plays..................you don't get that with mp3 players!

Whenever I saw a piece of equipment with four meters on it back then, my heart rate would jump to about one-and-a-half times its normal rate (it still kind of does).

I was OK though. I was young and healthy then.

Doug

Back