Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good that it's a small box like the Van Morrison Moondance set and not another big box.

I am blown away that this is coming out and with SW mix(WOW).
Few really busy days at work so not much chance to read what's going on in music world and here for past 2 days and haven't read through this whole thread yet.
Has this information been posted as this set seems pretty loaded besides the 5.1 mix as there is also a live Holland concert around same time and documentary and so much more.
Here's link and if it was posted already OOPS:

http://rockatnight.com/2017/04/mari...uxe-edition-on-cdblu-ray-and-vinyl-on-july-7/

Wow, this news came at a great time. I was bummed today about Tango not in 5.1 and the ongoing wait for the hope of Seeds of Love.
Misplaced Childhood mixed by SW, is one from a wish list.

This is great news.:)

(if Pepper's is a winner, that plus Songs from the Wood, makes this year a great one alone. Anything else is a bonus):phones

Awesome news! :banana:

I love the early Marillion albums and will certainly be buying this, even though (IMHO) it's not the strongest of that time and I already have it in umpteen different versions!

Fingers crossed that "Clutching at Straws" which, in my view, is easily the best Fish-era album, gets the same treatment.

Listening to Clutching at Straws right now. I forgot how good it is! The first four albums are all great IMHO. I saw Fish perform a solo show at NEARFest in Bethlehem, PA a few years back in which he did Clutching at Straws in it's entirety. FYI NEARFest was a weekend long, indoor prog music festival featuring a who's who of artists. NEAR was an acronym for North East Art Rock and the festival has been defunct for a few years, unfortunately.

At the bottom of the press release it says:
"CD, Vinyl and Digital breakout versions of the newly remastered original album will follow later in the year."

Does that mean a stand-alone blu-ray?

They don't list it, so it looks like the Blu-Ray is exclusive to the deluxe edition.

I guess what I'm asking is what is "Digital"?

A release of just the 2017 remaster of the album on digital music stores like iTunes and amazon mp3.
Maybe on that day there will also be a high-res release of the 2017 remaster on sites like HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds too.

CD 4, the "demos and b-sides" discs, has "Heart of Lothian" on it. I wonder if (hope that) it'll be the extended version that they included on the bonus disc of the 1998 special edition.

Come to think of it,

The track listing of the new CD 4 and the 1998 CD 2 are almost 100% identical, the only difference is that the new one has a new Steven Wilson stereo mix of "Lady Nina" on it. The 1998 CD 2 had demos of the entire album, which were very much worth listening to. So this is almost certainly a disc to look forward to in this new edition, making the whole set worth buying for more than "just" the 5.1 mix!

A release of just the 2017 remaster of the album on digital music stores like iTunes and amazon mp3.
Maybe on that day there will also be a high-res release of the 2017 remaster on sites like HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds too.

I think the reason for the confusion is, it's ALL digital. Blu-ray, CD or files, it is all digital. Simply saying "digital" doesn't mean anything. That could mean a stand alone CD or Blu-ray to come later, or it could mean digital download. I'm sure it does mean download in this case, but it would have been helpful if people would be more specific and say digital download. Or file.

I think the reason for the confusion is, it's ALL digital. Blu-ray, CD or files, it is all digital. Simply saying "digital" doesn't mean anything. That could mean a stand alone CD or Blu-ray to come later, or it could mean digital download. I'm sure it does mean download in this case, but it would have been helpful if people would be more specific and say digital download. Or file.

Of course CD's and Blu-rays have "files" on them :mad:@:

CDs do not have files on them, only tracks. Your computer show them as files, but there is no file system on a red book CD.

Not familiar with Marillion at all I'm afraid. :couch

But from reading past posts they seem to be akin to Genesis ? The Peter Gabriel years (+Steve Hackett) ?? :rolleyes:

Is this a fair assumption ? Or can a fan further enlighten me. NOT ALL,,,, but alotta 80's artists----well tend to disappoint.

I purchased Pixies-Doolittle on Duncan 's informative say so and am pleased I did so. So there's that. :smokin

CDs do not have files on them, only tracks. Your computer show them as files, but there is no file system on a red book CD.

This isn't the place to argue semantics, but there is a TOC, which might technically make them qualify, but blu-rays for sure.

As you said, "digital downloads"

Not familiar with Marillion at all I'm afraid. :couch

But from reading past posts they seem to be akin to Genesis ? The Peter Gabriel years (+Steve Hackett) ?? :rolleyes:

Is this a fair assumption ? Or can a fan further enlighten me. NOT ALL,,,, but alotta 80's artists----well tend to disappoint.

I purchased Pixies-Doolittle on Duncan 's informative say so and am pleased I did so. So there's that. :smokin

Yup, certainly a strong early Genesis vibe about them. In fact some claim that EMI recruited/moulded them to fill that specific gap in the music market, though on this album and the next (Clutching at Straws) they were quickly leaving the "Genesis clone" label behind and pursuing a more unique sound.
Not as good musicians (IMHO) but they made up for it with "attitude", especially Fish.

If you're unsure the entire album is on youtube in many different forms. Here's a good starting point:

[video=youtube;OXWr-X6L--c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWr-X6L--c[/video]

Back