Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

got my copy on Friday. The DTS-HD audio track appears to be faulty for certain player/receiver combinations. I am getting white noise on the first track, the others seem to be ok. Marantz UD5007 & Marantz NR1602.

On Amazon.de others report issues with DTS-HD as well.

If you have ordered from a German shop, don't try to remove the awful "FSK" sticker. It's on the cover and the color will go off together with the sticker :(.

Cheers,
Andreas

I have the same player combined with an Onkyo TX-NR808 and it's playing fine. I did do a firmware update for the player recently, maybe that helps?

Thanks for the advice. Both devices have the latest available firmware, never had a similar issue before. I confirm that only the first track 5.1 DTS-HD MA is problematic for me, the others are playing fine. Not really a big issue, 5.1 LPCM audio works flawless (y) Mix is sort 'tame', though.

Hi,

got my copy on Friday. The DTS-HD audio track appears to be faulty for certain player/receiver combinations. I am getting white noise on the first track, the others seem to be ok. Marantz UD5007 & Marantz NR1602.

On Amazon.de others report issues with DTS-HD as well.

If you have ordered from a German shop, don't try to remove the awful "FSK" sticker. It's on the cover and the color will go off together with the sticker :(.

Cheers,
Andreas

This has been going on for a while as I reported this on my Marantz Receiver and Oppo combo.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...roblems-on-recent-BR-disk-s&highlight=marantz

I don't have my copy of Misplaced Childhood but would bet I will have this issue as well.

This has been going on for a while as I reported this on my Marantz Receiver and Oppo combo.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...roblems-on-recent-BR-disk-s&highlight=marantz

I don't have my copy of Misplaced Childhood but would bet I will have this issue as well.

Hi Peter,

that's not good :( . I have exactly the same issues you are reporting on the other thread with Alan Parsons and 4 1/2/Steven Wilson. I guess I did not realize this problem before because usually I rip everything to FLAC and play with my Media Center PC.

So I will be looking for a new AV receiver when the offer season starts in November :D

Many thanks for clearing this up,
Andreas

Hi Peter,

that's not good :( . I have exactly the same issues you are reporting on the other thread with Alan Parsons and 4 1/2/Steven Wilson. I guess I did not realize this problem before because usually I rip everything to FLAC and play with my Media Center PC.

So I will be looking for a new AV receiver when the offer season starts in November :D

Many thanks for clearing this up,
Andreas

Sorry to hear that you have the same issue but I was pretty sure I couldn't be only one that has older Marantz Receiver and now know its not my Oppo player.

Just wondering who authored the Marillion disc as the other ones I have that have problems are all authored by Ray Shulman I believe.

First the good news: my copy arrived from Racket in just 8 days (not the 14-28 they said was possible) and no damage to discs or book pages. Now the bad news: like many others have posted, the packaging was inferior to what you get from Amazon and Burningshed - just a flimsy plastic pouch covering a piece of cardboard taped around the book itself. This did not prevent minor crushing on all four corners of the book cover. Then there was no shrinkwrap at all on the book signed by the band and the hype sticker was stuck right on the front cover - obviously not removable without causing some damage. Sigh. Hard to understand why this issue seems to have been handled so differently for some and not others.

Anyway, content is king and it does not disappoint in that area. I really like the 'bookset' format perfected by the Jethro Tull releases and the depth of material included (book, original remaster, alternate versions and demos, a full concert, 5.1 lossless remix and documentary, etc.) provides as comprehensive a document as you could ask for. As expected, the lossless sound quality is stellar and Steven Wilson's 'more immersive stereo' mix suits the material very well, similar to the approach taken with the Sgt. Peppers 5.1 remix. I did sample the album with only the surround channels on and for most of the songs they are moderately to highly active, but generally not with localized instruments or vocals.

If only the packaging had been better it would have been perfect, but I put that on Racket Records, not the package design.

Snood got mine from Fish today - all signed and all - not the best shipping method, just a cardboard airmail envelope (luckily no bent corners) - but they left the wrapping and hype sticker on, except where it was torn so Fishy could sign :banana:

So overall Snood Happy :)

Got my copy today from Racket Records, sticker on the cover.
I took the parcel from the post office in the morning and it spent the whole day in the car (black car, 33 degrees today). Back home, I realised the glue was warm and very gently I was able to remove the sticker without damaging the paint on the cover.
If you don't have a black car or a sunny weather you may want to try with a hair drier ;-)
I sampled the 5.1 and had no issues with the mix, at least that was my first impression.
I'm going to check now the documentary and the stereo layer of the bluray with headphones.
I know this record by heart, brings me good memories from the early nineties, but more on that later.

Doh, I had forgotten about Fish's Scottish accent. And no subtitles on the documentary.
Does anyone know what the second audio track of the doc contains? My Oppo detects a second LPCM track by I cannot access it

I thought I'd post the reply from Racket regarding my emailed complaint about the sticker issue and damaged corners. Good on them!

"Thank you for your email and your valued order. We are very sorry to hear that your order has arrived damaged.

With regards to the sticker we did send out an email to everyone who ordered the package to explain that we received our shipment from the manufacturer with the stickers stuck directly onto the cover, that the shrink wrapping had to be removed from the package in order to sign it and that removing the sticker might damage the cover. We are sorry if you did not receive this email. (The packages sent to Fish did not have this sticker on the cover). Of course it was not what we would have expected and if time had permitted then we would have sent them back to be re manufactured. However this would have meant there would not have been time for the band to sign them and for us to ship them before the promised release date."

There's a little more to their reply, but it was meant for me personally, so out of respect for them I'll decline to post it. Needless to say I'm satisfied with their handling of this.

I do know that I never received an email regarding the sticker. Did anyone else?

I thought I'd post the reply from Racket regarding my emailed complaint about the sticker issue and damaged corners. Good on them!

"Thank you for your email and your valued order. We are very sorry to hear that your order has arrived damaged.

With regards to the sticker we did send out an email to everyone who ordered the package to explain that we received our shipment from the manufacturer with the stickers stuck directly onto the cover, that the shrink wrapping had to be removed from the package in order to sign it and that removing the sticker might damage the cover. We are sorry if you did not receive this email. (The packages sent to Fish did not have this sticker on the cover). Of course it was not what we would have expected and if time had permitted then we would have sent them back to be re manufactured. However this would have meant there would not have been time for the band to sign them and for us to ship them before the promised release date."

There's a little more to their reply, but it was meant for me personally, so out of respect for them I'll decline to post it. Needless to say I'm satisfied with their handling of this.

I do know that I never received an email regarding the sticker. Did anyone else?
I haven't received it yet. But I found the confirmation for shipment email in spam!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You're going to like the documentary. Let 32 years pass, get the producer and the band together on a studio and let them play with the multitracks and their memories. Fascinating insight on the recording of the album.

I did not receive an email regarding the sticker, and I do have a hype sticker on the cover.

I think we gotta call Bull$$hit on the Racket email. Just sayin,

I'm starting to worry. I've not received my copy, and I have sent two emails to the fish heads asking for data. I did order later than many of you because I am not a Marillionite, so perhaps I'm waaaaay down the list.

I'm starting to worry. I've not received my copy, and I have sent two emails to the fish heads asking for data. I did order later than many of you because I am not a Marillionite, so perhaps I'm waaaaay down the list.

Dr. Check your order on their website.........Snood's was in a completed status, not knowing what exactly that meant, Snood sent them an email about 4 days ago.........no reply as of yet either, but did receive me bundle of joy yesterday without any notice or emails........think someone had mentioned that fish emails were going into the spam folder. :yikes

So hopefully out of the blue you will receive yours as Snood did his.

Back