Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marbles is not scheduled to part of this series as it was released independently about 9 years after they parted ways with a major label.
The 5.1 push seems to be Warner's doing.

The 8 EMI era studio records that are proposed to be in this set are:
1. Script for a Jester's Tear (1983)
2. Fugazi (1984)
3. Misplaced Childhood (1985)
4. Clutching at Straws (1987)
5. Seasons End (1989)
6. Holidays in Eden (1991)
7. Brave (1994)
8. Afraid of Sunlight (1995)

EMI & Marillion parted ways after AOS (another album with great 5.1 potential)
The band then worked with Castle in various ways for three albums.
In 2000, they decided to go it alone and turned to their fans to finance the album that turned out to be Anoraknophobia with pre-orders.
The band built that off something that happened in 1997 when North American fans began a funding campaign on their own to help the band deal with the expenses of coming to NA without label support.
There are many referenced sources who believe that these events were the true birth of crowdfunding in the internet age - I kid you not.

9. This Strange Engine (1997)
10. Radiation (1998)
11. marillion.com (1999)

Self-Finance Era:
12. Anoraknophobia (2001)
13. Marbles (2004)
14. Somewhere Else (2007)
15. Happiness Is the Road (2008)
16. Less Is More (2009)
17. Sounds That Can't Be Made (2012)
18. F E A R (2016)

Sadly, the band has put little effort into 5.1 mixes until recently.
For many years, the small part of fanatical fan base pleaded for surround to deaf ears.
Finally in 2007, several songs mixed in 5.1 (but not very well) by the band's producer of that era where tossed onto a live DVD as a bonus.
2014 saw the release of a live set with a bonus of the album Sounds That Can't Be Made 5.1 mix thrown in. After years of waiting, the majority of the band's 5.1 fans where very disappointed by essentially an extended stereo mix.
In 2015, they added a 5.1 mix of the Radiation album as bonus to another live DVD. Those mixes also underwhelmed. So much so that a few of us wrote on the band' forum that it would be better not to try than release what they were releasing.
Finally in 2016 that made some strides with a better (but by no means stellar) stab at 5.1 with FEAR.

Hi,

got my copy on Friday. The DTS-HD audio track appears to be faulty for certain player/receiver combinations. I am getting white noise on the first track, the others seem to be ok. Marantz UD5007 & Marantz NR1602.

On Amazon.de others report issues with DTS-HD as well.

Cheers,
Andreas

Really glad to finally get my copy of the 5 disk package and only took 4 weeks to get to me.
As Andreas reported and same on my Marantz 6007 receiver and Oppo BR I get the static noise on track 1 and on extra track Nina with DTS-HD, very annoying.
Another Ray Shulman authored so he has definitely doing something different in his authoring as this vinateg of Marantz Receivers does not like something about what its getting coming through.

LPCM 5.1 it is but won't get a chance till tomorrow but looking forward to finally hearing this in lossless 5.1

Not quite ready for a review/vote yet in that thread, but on my second run through on this disc I'm liking it much more than I did back in the 80's. I was *very* skeptical and reluctant with this one but a decent price and a SW mix got my attention, and I think I am glad it did.

Marillion came along at a time where I had been tired of most of the prog I grew up with, and I think that affected my impressions of them, and listening now I can appreciate it more now than I might have back then.

Ordered this today through a third party on Amazon. Ended up costing about $56, shipped, which was the cheapest I was able to find. Seems to still be readily available in a few places, but availability is getting pretty thin. I'd imagine copies are going to start drying up pretty soon, ones being sold at a fair price at least.

$56 for the CD/Blu-ray? Cancel that order man. The band’s store still has a small supply for £25.00. My final charge after currency conversion and shipping to New York was $36.31

Go to marillion.com and click on their store. It is called Racket Records. It is run in the band’s own management HQ/studio. Top line folks.

$56 for the CD/Blu-ray? Cancel that order man. The band’s store still has a small supply for £25.00. My final charge after currency conversion and shipping to New York was $36.31

Go to marillion.com and click on their store. It is called Racket Records. It is run in the band’s own management HQ/studio. Top line folks.

Dang, thanks for the heads-up. I'd actually checked their website, but I think I only checked under blu-ray/dvd categories, not CD, so I could find it. :rolleyes: Hopefully not too late to cancel.

Dang, thanks for the heads-up. I'd actually checked their website, but I think I only checked under blu-ray/dvd categories, not CD, so I could find it. :rolleyes: Hopefully not too late to cancel.

It is under the CD link.
marillion.com/shop

Click the "CD" link on the menu line.
It should then show up in top row of "Studio Albums"

I really think non-Marillion fans should buy this release. I used to actively dislike this album, and Steven Wilson’s work on it turned me around. I really appreciate it now.

The live tracks are also fun, it helps to have a crowd reacting o the music.

I really think non-Marillion fans should buy this release. I used to actively dislike this album, and Steven Wilson’s work on it turned me around. I really appreciate it now.

The live tracks are also fun, it helps to have a crowd reacting o the music.
I think he's done a better job with "Brave" (both stereo and 5.1 mixes).
Anyway, I agree with you and I'd really recommend both reissues to non-Marillion fans. For the price, this is high-quality stuff!!

Finally got a chance to give a good listen yesterday. So far, not a REAL big Marillion fan, but it is sort of relaxing and that's always worth something. I thought the surround mix well done by SW.
I do like the original vocalist better than the later (current?) one.
What's with the weird graphics?
Sooooo, can a fella change his mind?
I can't put my finger on it, but after watching the videos on the BD which I'd overlooked before, I'm thinking, now THAT is good.
Plus watching the Documentary helped a little, I think. So, I guess I need to stop 2/3 listen reviews!

...still having a hard time understanding Hogarth on the post-Fish albums. But I'm still listening.....! Who knows, may be I'll get there with the Hogarth vocals. Hell, it's only time passing, got plenty of that. :sleep:

I think he's done a better job with "Brave" (both stereo and 5.1 mixes).
Anyway, I agree with you and I'd really recommend both reissues to non-Marillion fans. For the price, this is high-quality stuff!!

Amusingly enough, I've had a harder time with Brave. When I listened to it in 1994, I liked it a lot more than Misplaced Childhood. Here we are 24 years later, and the board has shifted.

That being said, I've warmed up to Brave also. It required repeated listens.

I foolishly snoozed on this one when it came out and now prices are through the roof ($100+).

Anyone know of a deal, or planning to let their copy go?

Back