Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even know this one was in the pipeline. Misplaced Childhood with the deluxe SW treatment? I can't think of too many records I would want with an SW surround mix more than this one. The current version of Marillion just doesn't measure up to those first few albums when Fish was in the band. His unique voice and the songwriting at the time just seemed to put these records on another plane. Comparisons with Peter Gabriel-era Genesis were close to the mark in my book.

Steven's now on Caroline International, which is under Universal, so no, I don't think his new solo deal has anything to do with this new remix from Marillion.
If anything, this probably came about because of his previous work with Fish.

:)
Wilson is equal opportunity. Some of Wilson's earliest work outside his own bands was for Marillion & Fish. He arranged, produced and cowrote Fish's "Sunsets on Empire" (a Pink Floyd homage complete with a Clare Torry - Great Gig in the Sky style solo). He also mixed half of Marillion's album "Marillion.com" & two songs off of the awesome "Marbles" album.

Wilson thanks Marillion's guitar player, Steve Rothery, in the credits for "Hand Cannot Erase".

He is the best and most logical choice to mix Marillion into 5.1 ecstasy.
Second choice would be Simon Heyward. He mastered most contemporary Marillion releases and did a fine job creating Anthony Phillip's 5.1 mixes.

Looking forward to this one! It's become a favourite to spin while I'm cooking up some sammiches in winter. Now that it's getting surroundified, I'll have to find another stereo album to play while I'm getting dinner ready cos once the 5.1 is released, I'll have to sit still on the couch when I listen to it. Discipline. Priorities.

I'm not that familiar with Marillion either. I know that their name was originally Silmarillion, named after JRR Tolkien's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings 'prequel' Middle-earth book, but they later changed it to avoid lawsuits. I'm a huge Middle-earth fan, my name is short for Frogmorton, a village in the Eastfarthing of The Shire where the Hobbits lived.

Anyway, I've sampled some of their music here and there over the years and always thought what I heard was more pop and less prog, and I'm not very much into most pop and I really love a lot of prog. Well, I guess what I was hearing was more of their newer stuff, because after seeing this thread, I found Misplaced Childhood on youtube and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Very reminiscent of Genesis to me, in a good way.

With Steven Wilson doing the surround mix, this should be pretty awesome.

Thanks Ryan. My mistake. I thought his new label was a Warner offshoot.

It's easy to get certain labels' ownerships confused because of the split of all of the EMI labels between Universal and Warner Music.
However since Steven Wilson's newest solo album is under Universal's umbrella, maybe he can gently nudge those in charge to finally release some unreleased remixes of his being held up by Universal, like "Roxy Music" and "The Seeds of Love".

But in the meantime, it's so cool to see this release of "Misplaced Childhood" come to fruition!
I always get super excited when Steven Wilson adds a new artist to his remixing roster, and the fact that this 5.1 remix is coming out on Blu-Ray along with a 70 minute documentary shows that whoever is in charge of putting together this particular release is doing everything the right way!

:)

Awesome news! :banana:

I love the early Marillion albums and will certainly be buying this, even though (IMHO) it's not the strongest of that time and I already have it in umpteen different versions!

Fingers crossed that "Clutching at Straws" which, in my view, is easily the best Fish-era album, gets the same treatment.

I'm not that familiar with Marillion either. I know that their name was originally Silmarillion, named after JRR Tolkien's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings 'prequel' Middle-earth book, but they later changed it to avoid lawsuits.

They are named after Tolkien, but they don't have any songs about elves, dwarves or other mythological stuff (except for the epic Grendel).

Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, it's a dream come true, one of my favorite album of all time! :music

I woke up and the first thing I did was run to this thread to make sure I wasn't having a fantastic dream!

Anyway, I've sampled some of their music here and there over the years and always thought what I heard was more pop and less prog, and I'm not very much into most pop and I really love a lot of prog. Well, I guess what I was hearing was more of their newer stuff, because after seeing this thread, I found Misplaced Childhood on youtube and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Very reminiscent of Genesis to me, in a good way.

The closest Marillion has come to mainstream pop was 1991's "Holidays in Eden". That album feels to be the only time the band bowed to label's pressure for modern commercial album. The band redeemed themselves with the follow up "Brave". A stunning concept album with layers and layers of instrumentation and effects. Note though: The lyrical concept is pretty bleak as it relays the story of girl contemplating jumping off of a bridge. Still - a moving and powerful concept album. If any Marillion album deserves 5.1 treatment, it is this one.

Any Marillion album requires a patient listener. It might not get you on the first, second, or third spin but when it does- your hooked.
This band is the definition of the neo-progressive genre. If you tend to like Porcupine Tree's "Lightbulb Sun" over "Deadwing" or Wilson's "Hand Cannot Erase" over "Insurgentes", give Marillion a try.

Their latest album "FEAR", is also a stunner.
Prog Magazine said: "On what’s undoubtedly one of the finest albums of their entire career, Marillion deliver dark truths with an incredible lightness of touch Brimming with resentment but with a dark, intractable beauty."

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet in this thread their album Brave. Music is so dense that it will certainly one album that will get greatly improved being mixed in 5.1

Came here to get info on Songs from the Wood (which I then preordered for 25 Euros... great price for four CDs and a BluRay) and read about this in another user's signature.
Wow... just wow. It's like a dream come true. Paradise for progressive lovers.

Maybe just rumour but someone reported seeing the price as 32 Euros, which seems a fair price.

Oh boy! another expensive box-set that I can't afford but will buy anyway(y)

No longer a rumor. The band's manager confirmed on Facebook and the official announcement will be Tuesday. Great way to head into the weekend!

Back