2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame HBO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say I lost a lot of respect for the RRHOF when they inducted Rush in 2013.

Not because they inducted Rush, one of my all time favorites but because they did it in 2013 and not 2012 (which would have been 100 years before 2112, an nice nod if you know what I mean)

It's like they don't even understand the music they are awarding. The irony!

I will say I lost a lot of respect for the RRHOF when they inducted Rush in 2013.

Not because they inducted Rush, one of my all time favorites but because they did it in 2013 and not 2012 (which would have been 100 years before 2112, an nice nod if you know what I mean)

It's like they don't even understand the music they are awarding. The irony!

I freakin' love Alex Lifeson's 'blah-blah-blah' acceptance speech. I think it says A LOT! :D

[video=youtube;Z-zV4GaElko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zV4GaElko[/video]

I saw a documentary once of Jeff Lynne

the guy's amazing

I was 13 years old when my older sisters boyfriend gave me a bunch of LP's

included was

ELO-Out_of_the_Blue_Lp.jpg

a fan ever since

that does beg the question, where was Neil, like David Letterman said????????

Neil was "taken ill". From Rolling Stone:

"Due to illness, Neil Young is regrettably no longer able to induct Pearl Jam at this Year's Induction Ceremony," the Rock Hall said in a statement Wednesday. "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is thrilled that David Letterman has agreed to induct Pearl Jam this Friday night at the 32nd Annual Induction Ceremony."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/neil-young-illness-statement-2036398

Just finished watching the entire 3 hour plus broadcast. LOVED it.

Great to see Letterman again. And I thought Rick Wakeman was funny. The only thing I really didn't like was Lenny Kravitz's take on Prince's When Doves Fly. Sounded flat to me. I recently watched the remastered BD~V of Purple Rain and Prince's version is ICONIC.....PERIOD!

And to Nile Rodgers........Wow. You're WAYYYYYYY too humble!

Rock on Eddie Vedder and Roll Over Beethoven.....yeah, fellas, as we speak, the great music of Ludwig B is being played by orchestras all over the world!:banana:

And what a missed opportunity for discrete surround sound. DULBY Digital is just that and if all speakers were properly utilized this broadcast really would've rocked......

Watched it last night. I personally feel, my own tastes in music aside, acts like 2Pac and Baez deserve to be in. "Rock and Roll" means more than just a style of music (which if you want to break it down into that, when I hear that term on it's own I think of the guys from the 50's) but people who rattled the cages of the uptight establishment. In their own ways, they both did that. And as far as changing the name, that toothpaste is out of the tube as far as I see it. It would feel less prestigious, especially to those who came in before, to change it to something more specific. Plus, if you just name it something like the "Music Hall of Fame" we'll forever hear about how people like Bach and Beethoven were passed over for AC/DC.

My 2 cents. Great show, done well, tears to my eyes a few times, helps me realize why I love music so much, how we listen via our machines is only secondary to the music. Camera work pretty good. Audio horrible. Closing song at end felt rushed and everything fell apart. Best surround moment was when Lenny Kravitz was up front and gospel singers where in rear.

My 2 cents. Great show, done well, tears to my eyes a few times, helps me realize why I love music so much, how we listen via our machines is only secondary to the music. Camera work pretty good. Audio horrible. Closing song at end felt rushed and everything fell apart. Best surround moment was when Lenny Kravitz was up front and gospel singers where in rear.

The audio for Yes and everyone was ok I thought. But when Pearl Jam played it seemed to get distorted.
I have Directv and a optical line to my avr.
But, it was the best show to date! I enjoyed it, and I never watch these things unless they have a special band, and they had them last night.

Just finished watching the entire 3 hour plus broadcast. LOVED it.

Great to see Letterman again. And I thought Rick Wakeman was funny. The only thing I really didn't like was Lenny Kravitz's take on Prince's When Doves Fly. Sounded flat to me. I recently watched the remastered BD~V of Purple Rain and Prince's version is ICONIC.....PERIOD!

And to Nile Rodgers........Wow. You're WAYYYYYYY too humble!

Rock on Eddie Vedder and Roll Over Beethoven.....yeah, fellas, as we speak, the great music of Ludwig B is being played by orchestras all over the world!:banana:

And what a missed opportunity for discrete surround sound. DULBY Digital is just that and if all speakers were properly utilized this broadcast really would've rocked......

Kids are listening to 400 yr old music! Ludwig had it down!

Besides the Moody Blues (who are the biggest R&R HoF snub right now IMHO) here's three other bands who should be in there who all have remarkable surround releases:

1) The Guess Who
2) The Doobie Brothers
3) Dire Straits

There's others I could name too, but the fact that these three (plus the Moodies) are not in the Hall of Fame yet is just terrible, yet they induct Tupac… :howl

Besides the Moody Blues (who are the biggest R&R HoF snub right now IMHO) here's three other bands who should be in there who all have remarkable surround releases:

1) The Guess Who
2) The Doobie Brothers
3) Dire Straits

There's others I could name too, but the fact that these three (plus the Moodies) are not in the Hall of Fame yet is just terrible, yet they induct Tupac… :howl

Well, my big exclusions are Johnny Rivers on the artist side and Bob Crewe on the producer side of the Hall. As a huge Moodies fan I've beaten the lack of their induction to death; it's simply ludicrious, plain and simple. And why Rivers and Crewe have yet to make it is equally inexplicable. Crewe may have begun his career as a would-be pop crooner and rock teen idol, but he also wrote songs and began producing in the late '50s The 4 Seasons (who are deservedly in) were his best knwon act, but he worked a lot of pop magic for many acts. He was also a workaholic yet not a hack; unlike some producers, he seemed genuinely committed to making good, strong music (and like many producers, started a side project of his own, and he got one big hit out of it). He rode his wave of success into the mid'70s, even being the mastermind behind the silly "Get Dancin' (Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes) from 1975, recorded in the tried and true 'fake live' Mitch Ryder style (another of his successful acts).

Johnny, of course, needs no introduction beyond "Secret Agent Man," "Poor Side of Town," "Summer Rain" and a bunch of savvy, enjoyable covers of Chuck Berry, Harold Dorman, and others. He too was a songwriter and producer of considerable talent.

The Guess Who and Doobies? Maybe. Dire Straits? Given who runs the Hall, I'm surprised they're not already in. As for rap acts like Tupac, that's beyond my web of interest, but can't really condemn the Hall for inducting rappers, they are connected to rock even if many of us white guys could care less. No, I'm more bothered by some of the stupid exclusions to date, and the occasional inclusion of acts that don't really belong at all except by some committee's whim or fiat (Baez, Brenda Lee, for example) whose connections to rock music are tenuous (or brief) at best. Nothing personal, though: Brenda had her rock moments, but that was mostly in her early career; most of the rest was pure pop or neo-country.

We will hash over this forever but what the hell, gotta bitch about something, right? :mad:@:

ED :)

Watched it last night. I personally feel, my own tastes in music aside, acts like 2Pac and Baez deserve to be in. "Rock and Roll" means more than just a style of music (which if you want to break it down into that, when I hear that term on it's own I think of the guys from the 50's) but people who rattled the cages of the uptight establishment. In their own ways, they both did that.

Bingo. When I first started putting all my CDs on a server, I was trying to be somewhat fussy about genres. It didn't take long before I realized that pretty much everything that wasn't classical or blatant country or spoken word just worked best for me when lumped together as "Rock". Of course, when applicable, I also make sure to include a genre tag for QS, SQ and DTS!

Back