2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame HBO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The notion of Joan Baez being Rock and Roll would make me laugh out loud except for how depressing it is, when true rock acts like the Moody Blues and Johnny Rivers are still left out (AFAIK).

Not that I dislike Joan, although I've never been that much of a fan. The most I can say about her rock connection--beyond an occasional uptempo thing like her only big AM hit, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"--is that she sang a lot of Dylan's songs (by that logic, let's induct, among others, Peter, Paul and Mary, if they haven't been already).

I assume, however, is that it's her activism and politics that are getting her in, because her body of music is simply NOT rock music, or blues, or soul, or psych, or whatever tag merits inclusion.

This said, being the masochist I am, I'll be watching, 'course. But IMO, this is among the weakest batch of inductees ever,

ED :)

The RRHOF is a joke, plain and simple. I take nothing they do seriously.

The RRHOF is a joke, plain and simple. I take nothing they do seriously.

Agreed. But with slight inconsistency I will say that it was great to see my favourite band Yes finally get inducted!

I saw Yes's part from the induction, and the performance of Roundabout (with Geddy Lee on bass!) was excellent, but their speeches were ruined by the idiotic Rick Wakeman. He used his speech for a fairly crude (and long) stand up routine, but worse he overran their allotted time (when they had time reminders in front of them) meaning that Chris Squire's widow couldn't speak about the late great bassist as she had planned.

I really believe that the reason that so many great bands have waited a long time to be (or still haven't been) inducted is that they are not American. That is why the 'Rock and Roll' Hall of Fame would rather toss in some wanky hip hop act than great rock bands like Deep Purple and Yes.

Tupac Shakur? ... Rock and Roll? Come on now! Let's face it, they are running out of American 'Rock and Roll' bands, but they seem to feel pressured to populate the Hall with American acts. I take no issue with the blues and jazz legends though. Let's face it, there would be no rock and roll without them.

Joan Baez? Come on. This is a ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame? I can understand that blues and soul and jazz are the foundations of R&R, and those pioneers deserve to be in there, but Joan Baez? Folk is folk, and folk has a great history, and I would probably, reluctantly admit that she might qualify for a Folk Hall of Fame, but when I think of all of the REAL Rock and Roll bands that have yet to be inducted over acts like Joan Baez, it makes me want to puke.

The problem with this R&RHOF is that it is headed by Jann Wenner and he has some serious prejudices that control who gets nominated. Politics spoils the broth, and the R&RHOF is soiled with politics. The voters cannot vote on acts that do not get nominated, and he controls the nominations.

Joan Baez? Come on. This is a ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame? I can understand that blues and soul and jazz are the foundations of R&R, and those pioneers deserve to be in there, but Joan Baez? Folk is folk, and folk has a great history, and I would probably, reluctantly admit that she might qualify for a Folk Hall of Fame, but when I think of all of the REAL Rock and Roll bands that have yet to be inducted over acts like Joan Baez, it makes me want to puke.

The problem with this R&RHOF is that it is headed by Jann Wenner and he has some serious prejudices that control who gets nominated. Politics spoils the broth, and the R&RHOF is soiled with politics. The voters cannot vote on acts that do not get nominated, and he controls the nominations.

Technically, Joanie ain't NO rocker but the term rock 'n roll literally means to F**K and Joanie ain't exactly a virgin.

Her latest AP SACD "Recently" includes her rousing version of Peter Gabriel's BIKO and although it isn't in Gabriel's exalted league, it does quality as r 'n r lite.

And, com'on, Jon, her excellent version of the Band's The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is somewhat of a classic.

And since they don't have a Folk Hall of Fame, Joan Baez deserves some recognition for her longevity in the cockamamy music biz! Approaching six decades!:yikes

Now, if they decided to nominate Florence Foster Jenkins, then we'd all be in a deep pile of S**T!

Am currently DVRing the HBO broadcast for a much anticipated Midnight Viewing.

How true is the fact she is not a R&R act. BUT! They do need someone to play while everyone goes to the bathroom, This is why she played a long set a Woodstock, the toilets were far away. :smokin

and, at they needed an act at the R&R hall to let everyone go pee!

How true is the fact she is not a R&R act. BUT! They do need someone to play while everyone goes to the bathroom, This is why she played a long set a Woodstock, the toilets were far away. :smokin

and, at they needed an act at the R&R hall to let everyone go pee!

A little harsh, don't ya think since she performed numerous times with Bob Dylan?

Let's not forget for a second that Joan Baez released a lot more quad LPs than Tupac Shakur did. :confused:

Besides, I always thought that a 'Tupac' was for really lightweight beer drinkers. :)

I'm not cutting Joan, just make a joke- she really is no rocker. I was 18 when Woodstock happened, so I'm that generation.
Anyway just watched Yes, with Geddy Lee on bass, a great performance. They did Roundabout and Owner of ALH. Rick Wakeman told some good jokes, best hall of fame show to date.

I'm not cutting Joan, just make a joke- she really is no rocker. I was 18 when Woodstock happened, so I'm that generation.
Anyway just watched Yes, with Geddy Lee on bass, a great performance. They did Roundabout and Owner of ALH. Rick Wakeman told some good jokes, best hall of fame show to date.
Joan Baez was never a rock and roller by any stretch of the imagination. I do not own anything with her, unless she is on Dylans 30th Anniversary Blu Ray which I am sure I fast forwarded.

Guys ... 'Diamonds and Rust' is a great song, especially the CD-4 Quadradisc version ... and the Judas Priest cover is a serious rocker!

Let's not forget for a second that Joan Baez released a lot more quad LPs than Tupac Shakur did. :confused:

Besides, I always thought that a 'Tupac' was for really lightweight beer drinkers. :)

Don't like Tupac either. Sorry, just this whole Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame bugs me and Eddie Trunk. Should be called the Modern Music Hall of Fame and then it would all make more sense. Can't wait for Chuck Berry's new release to be delivered that I pre ordered.

If ONLY they'd broadcast the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in FULLY DISCRETE 5.1 surround. Another missed opportunity to introduce the world to its MANY pleasures.

BTW, thank you Jesus that I embrace ALL forms of music.

Before Rock 'n Roll there were the BIG BANDS and if you don't think that music swung BIG TIME and inspired many musicians well into the present..........:banana:

The notion of Joan Baez being Rock and Roll would make me laugh out loud except for how depressing it is, when true rock acts like the Moody Blues and Johnny Rivers are still left out (AFAIK).

Couldn't agree more. The Moody Blues deserve to be in the HOF more than any of the inductees that made it in this year.
They helped to pave the way for acts like Yes and ELO.

no love for Pearl Jam??

I will say the 5.1 seemed way different this year than last. The center vocals were mostly out of the fronts instead of the center like last year.

Funny how different mixers can have such a different take on what sounds good? Maybe that's why surround never took off, stereo mixers never had a choice?

Neo (from The Matrix): "Choice. The problem is choice."

......BTW, thank you Jesus that I embrace ALL forms of music.....

Hey 4EW, I embrace all types too. One of the first 45s I bought with my own money was "Puff the Magic Dragon" by PP&M. Loved them, loved Arlo, Gordon Lightfoot, Tom Rush, many other folk artists. No mistake. But they weren't R&R, IMHO. That's all I'm saying. Heck, I have the Joan quads, and Diamonds and Rust is decent, but still, not R&R.

My problem is with the HOF, not with Joan. To my own drummer, the Moodies, Bon Jovi, Harry Nilsson and even the likes of Badfinger are more R&R than Joan.

PS - Been watching the show. Not too bad. The guy that replaced Steve Perry in Journey does a pretty good job but it's a shame they didn't share the mic. Probably would have been a bad A/B comparison. "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World!!" :)

Back