Dolby B encoded prerecorded Q4 tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumGuitar

So I have a couple of prerecorded Q4 Tapes that are Dolby B encoded that I'm playing on my Teac a-2340 through my Sansui QRX-9001 and so on down the line... The Sansui unit is only capable of stereo Dolby noise reduction, so I am unable to listen to these tapes "as they were intended". They do however sound AMAZING as they are. However, I am unable to compare to, like i said, how they were "intended" to be played back. My B&W 801 series 80s (and rear B&W dm3000s) are very forward with their high end so I am a bit weary of dampening that high end, which is what I have gathered may be a product of the noise reduction.I have also heard that dropping some Treble in the EQ may be similarly effective in countering the encoding, though I have not tried it. Either way I was just wondering what people think of the results of proper Dolby B noise reduction on these specifically encoded tapes, and if recommended, what hardware could be used to do the job.

I use a TEAC AN-300 4-channel Dolby B unit, but you can use two AN-60 or AN-80 (stereo) units if you can't find an AN-300.
I have a working AN-300 parts unit if you get one that needs some help. I also have an A-2340 parts unit if you need anything.
This is what an AN-300 looks like, but hopefully yours won't have the feet pillaged and a knob confiscated for another unit ...
... or a wonky LF VU meter.

Attachments

• P1020561.jpg
    P1020561.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 105
I too have a TEAC AN-300 4-channel Dolby B unit. Actually I've seldom used it, but if your archiving (say, recording the Q4 to your hard drive) ideally the Dolby B should be decoded properly, although the slight increase in treble doesn't really sound too bad. Back in the day we often preferred to leave the Dolby off when playing back cassettes, the treble boost was welcome! Q4's usually have recorded test tones used to calibrate the unit to the particular tape. Q8's lack the test tones so you would have to set by ear, I usually leave them undecoded.
Check eBay often, I almost bought another one on a whim; I think it only went for about $100. Stereo units should also be available cheaply.
I remember looking for a VST plugin to use in Adobe Audition and found one that approximated Dolby B decoding, but think an actual hardware decoded would be more accurate.

Back