Ian Cooke - The Fall I Fell - Tenth Anniversary - New surround mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popshop

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello QQ! Many of you have asked when this would be back in print. Here's a new release instead! https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-i-fell
The Fall I Fell - 2017. Includes the original stereo and 5.1 album mixes, plus the original live performances, all by Bob Ferbrache.
In addition there is a new 5.1 album mix (with less compression and volume), new album commentary, new live performances, plus music videos, lyrics, and an unreleased instrumental from the TFIF sessions. There are twelve songs on the album, with an additional nine live performances of those songs. All audio was recorded at and is presented at 48k/24bit.
I did the mixes more recent than 2009 - so I'm biased - but for me the highlight is "Music" and "Vasoon" played with 24 members of the symphony. The listener is in the middle, with band in front and the symphony in rear. Here is a (stereo) sample of the video: https://youtu.be/pXz2mCmL-aY
live songs included:
Trouble Process Report, Darkening, & The Rot solo 2007
Flood, Vasoon, & The Rot, band 2011 (stereo board mix in front, ambient balcony in rears)
Music with string quartet 2015 (discrete, band in front, quartet in rears)
Music and Vasoon with symphony 2015 (discrete, band in front, symphony in rears)

Musically this album is very different from Antiquasauria. The Fall I Fell is personal, intimate, and less dense musically. Cello, piano, and vocals dominate. Ten years later, most people I know still think it's the best Ian Cooke album.
DVD/CD version is in a handmade origami jacket. The DVD/LP version is opaque orange vinyl. Both include a digital download in the hi-res format of your choice.
Feel free to ask me any questions about the release! :banana:
IMG_9557_CD.jpg
IMG_9557 - Copy.jpg

I'm working on Burning Shed and other options, but for now it's just me. Unfortunately, international shipping cost on the LP is just insane. I'll be shipping some CD/DVDs today so I'll continue to adjust shipping costs. Feel free to message me if you've got questions.

This is a really good album and the 5.1 mix is well done on the original release.
Will need to revisit this one soon but if anyone doesn't have this yet, this is a good time to pick it up,very solid song writing and musicianship on this one and great that Ian O. has toned down the compression and loudness as that would have been my only criticism after getting this a few years ago:)

peter

Let's keep this thread high profile because this release is worth purchasing imho. Hats off to Ian :worthy .

Good to hear that some of these are arriving at their destinations! I hope folks enjoy the new mixes, especially the symphony songs.
This past weekend we recorded five additional songs with the symphony. Very different type of show and very different arrangements but lots of fun - and video/audio recorded.
Shoot me any questions about TFIF if you've got any. The DVD serves almost like a history of the past ten years - some stuff more memorable than others. :mad:@:

I'm interested in buying this but $26 for shipping to Australia alone (double the DVD price!) is giving my hard earned to the shipping company.

Any chance of paying $26 for a FLAC 5.1 download? At least payment then gets into the Artist/Production team's pocket - not the shipping company.

I'm not happy about the shipping prices either. Last week I shipped a record to Mexico and the cheapest option was $30. Anything over 8 ounces international is just insane. Paying for oil to send a record made of oil is so silly and sad to me. I drive an electric car and don't eat animals specifically to avoid oil and inefficiency, so why do I ignore my morals for music format? :yikes There are so many sides to this conversation, and it's one I've been thinking about a lot.

Where do you typically buy 5.1 flac downloads? I've been trying for years to convince bandcamp to be 5.1 friendly and their answer is always the same "Not currently, no – but that's still something we might think about down the road." I know I could just put them on dropbox and have people paypal me, but there must be a better way.

I used VHX to host digital video files for the Cassowary project Cooke and I did years back. Since then they've been bought by Vimeo. I just looked and they do offer 5.1 video downloads (specs below) though I don't see anything about 5.1 flac audio.

Homer, to answer your immediate question: I don't have 5.1 flac files for it. The original mix is one album-length DTS file, and my mixes were all exported as six mono wav files. I could make some of them, I'm just don't currently have them. I'll see what it would cost to ship a CD/DVD (less than 8 ounces) to you in OZ and report back.

I'd be interested to hear from QQers about your thoughts on the future of Surround. I had actually started a new thread yesterday, but didn't have the time to finish it.
Where do we go from here? I've been releasing DVDs because I can author them and they're cheap to manufacture. Blu-ray I can't author. Is 5.1 streaming around the corner? Is physical media still preferred? Is there a format better than 5.1 flac? etc etc. Thoughts?

- Ian O

Vimeo/VHX 5.1 video specs:
VIDEO CODEC: H.264
VIDEO BIT-RATE: 8,000 kbps – 13,000 kbps
FRAME RATES: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, & 60 FPS
CONTAINER: MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, etc.
AUDIO CODEC:
AAC (No PCM for 5.1 surround)
AUDIO BIT-RATE: 320 kbps
SAMPLE RATE: We accept most sample rates, but common ones for video are 44.1kHz & 48 kHz.
AUDIO CHANNELS: C, L, R, Ls, Rs, LFe (This may seem like a strange arrangement, but it works well for video).

Great work Ian and Popshop!

I only need to find a way selling digital download from my web without been ruined, and I could help you selling high res flac. Hope I'll find out the next weeks....
Have also asked Bandcamp to take the small step for Bandcamp but giant leap for music and support multichannel flac. But no reply.

Someone has to offer that! And I will soon I hope!

I'm also testing 5.1 streaming as ac3 ( high rez flac will lack for some) in a similar way as Bandcamp offer. But think it will be best to offer some tracks from the albums as free streaming and fans can get all tracks bying full album.

Only once I've seen and bought an album as mc flac zipped from Burning Shed, but nowhere else....

Slight update. Vimeo/VHX got back to me today. While they don't offer 5.1 steaming support, any type of file can be included in a zip file as an "extra" to a video sale so this would include 5.1 video or audio.
Very cool Odyssey! True about Burning Shed, I'll ask Tim too.

I am sure there is a reason why you say bandcamp don't offer 5.1 flac downloads but I have just input fire garden in the artist search on the bandcamp website and it takes you to a page offering a 5.1 flac download of their latest album. I don't know enough about how bandcamp works nor have I purchased from them to know why it seems it can be done yet the consensus here suggests it cannot. Just throwing this into the pot but am sure someone will soon confirm what stops it being done.

Indeed, what they're doing is clever. They're using bandcamp to host the stereo download, then when a customer buys that package, the band or someone is sending a separate email to the customer with a link to the flac files on dropbox or some storage place. It's not a bad system at all. Pretty cool!

I am sure there is a reason why you say bandcamp don't offer 5.1 flac downloads but I have just input fire garden in the artist search on the bandcamp website and it takes you to a page offering a 5.1 flac download of their latest album. I don't know enough about how bandcamp works nor have I purchased from them to know why it seems it can be done yet the consensus here suggests it cannot. Just throwing this into the pot but am sure someone will soon confirm what stops it being done.

Th Fire Garden page says
you will receive a separate email with instructions to download 5.1 mix

Th bandcamp situation is ridiculous. A flac file is a flac file right? What does it matter it it contains 2 or 6 channels.

Back