Ian Cooke - The Fall I Fell - Tenth Anniversary - New surround mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Th Fire Garden page says

Th bandcamp situation is ridiculous. A flac file is a flac file right? What does it matter it it contains 2 or 6 channels.

I agree, the bandcamp thing does seem totally tedious and confusing at best (pertaining to multi-channel that is).

Long shot, but maybe for some reason the space required for 6 channels vs 2 is huge. But, I really don't know.

Indeed, what they're doing is clever. They're using bandcamp to host the stereo download, then when a customer buys that package, the band or someone is sending a separate email to the customer with a link to the flac files on dropbox or some storage place. It's not a bad system at all. Pretty cool!

Maybe an option for you too? I bought a couple of Enid 5.1 downloads where the download was a DTS DVD ISO and a separate email contained a link to download 5.1 96/24 FLAC.

There are some here on QQ that don't like DTS (or prefer lossless and/or hires) so ideally with FLAC you'd offer lossless 5.1 (if not lossless hires). Personally DTS on DVD is not a showstopper - though for others it is.

Indeed, what they're doing is clever. They're using bandcamp to host the stereo download, then when a customer buys that package, the band or someone is sending a separate email to the customer with a link to the flac files on dropbox or some storage place. It's not a bad system at all. Pretty cool!

Ian, maybe you can do something similar.
It does make sense to save cost to do a download of 5.1 for customers and as much as I like to get physical product, getting a lossless 5.1 flac or dvda image is a fantastic option and does appear to be a win/win for artist as well as customers looking for new surround music.

peter

Th bandcamp situation is ridiculous. A flac file is a flac file right? What does it matter it it contains 2 or 6 channels.

Bandcamp is only setup to handle one master. That is their shortcoming. It would be a disservice to stereo-only listeners to derive a fold down of the 5.1 mix to stereo. And that's what they would have to do if you only delivered the 5.1 master flacs to them.

Before too long this will mature more and we'll have stores that support multiple masters. (I'm planning on it anyway.)

The alternative would be to flip it and make the 5.1 master the focus and make anyone who only had stereo follow an additional download link. As well as that would go over around here...

Ultimately the fact that we can deliver an album available in all formats (even if it takes an extra download step) and get away from the selling of different formats for different price points (the shortest way I can describe the major label SOP) overshadows any awkwardness for me. I miss album covers and physical things too but when you hit play and a new surround release plays out your speakers it becomes pretty tangible. Of course I'm preaching to the choir around here! :D

FLAC download! https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-i-fell
19 songs in 5.1 FLAC to be downloaded from dropbox. Not the most elegant delivery, but not bad for now I hope. This includes the 2017 mix of The Fall I Fell, plus the unreleased track (which is stereo on the DVD), plus six live songs. Three of these live songs are quad live-style (two stereo pairs) and three of these are full discrete mixes with symphony in the rears and band in the front and center.
Thanks for your comments, and thanks to HomerJAU for helping me out with the tagging.
Please let me know if there are any issues!
Ian O

FLAC download! https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-i-fell
19 songs in 5.1 FLAC to be downloaded from dropbox. Not the most elegant delivery, but not bad for now I hope. This includes the 2017 mix of The Fall I Fell, plus the unreleased track (which is stereo on the DVD), plus six live songs. Three of these live songs are quad live-style (two stereo pairs) and three of these are full discrete mixes with symphony in the rears and band in the front and center.
Thanks for your comments, and thanks to HomerJAU for helping me out with the tagging.
Please let me know if there are any issues!
Ian O

That's great (y):banana:! A quick question: is there any discount on the purchase of the 5.1 flac download for those who have bought the disc version?

Sure, why not? PM me with your email. If you've purchased the disc, let's consider the flac price to be a donation of your choice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sure, why not? PM me with your email. If you've purchased the disc, let's consider the flac price to be a donation of your choice.

Thanks a lot. Imho this release is one of those less and less digital audio albums which is still worth purchasing in physical format, too.

Just rec'd my copy this afternoon. Nice package and artwork. There are a few issues with the disc however - the main menu has a song "Waltz" playing in the background - unfortunately, it is obscured by a very loud white noise - pretty sure that is not intended. When you select your audio option (stereo or surround), the noise disappears and everything proceeds nicely. The mixes are very well done, although I would have preferred lossless to lossy DTS 24/48. There is a ton of content on this disc - which makes it quite a discrete, surround value. One other little quirk is the "Story from 2009" Feature. It appears to be at the wrong speed - Ian sounds as if he just took a few hits of helium. It's not essential but I can't imagine that it's intentional either. Would love to hear if others are experiencing the same.

Hi Elmer, I'm sorry to hear this. I authored it, so I take responsibility for any issues. I'll PM you with a flac download, which includes waltz in 5.1.
I hope you enjoy the music and mixes, my apologies!

Just rec'd my copy this afternoon. Nice package and artwork. There are a few issues with the disc however - the main menu has a song "Waltz" playing in the background - unfortunately, it is obscured by a very loud white noise - pretty sure that is not intended. When you select your audio option (stereo or surround), the noise disappears and everything proceeds nicely. The mixes are very well done, although I would have preferred lossless to lossy DTS 24/48. There is a ton of content on this disc - which makes it quite a discrete, surround value. One other little quirk is the "Story from 2009" Feature. It appears to be at the wrong speed - Ian sounds as if he just took a few hits of helium. It's not essential but I can't imagine that it's intentional either. Would love to hear if others are experiencing the same.

Yep, I got mine delivered this morning and I just put the DVD in the Oppo and I'm getting the same white noise on the starting menu, what a shame, the quality of the songs is great though(y)

Hi Elmer, I'm sorry to hear this. I authored it, so I take responsibility for any issues. I'll PM you with a flac download, which includes waltz in 5.1.
I hope you enjoy the music and mixes, my apologies!

Thank you! I look forward to the Flac files.

Huge sync issues near the end of one of the live clips as well. Curiously, the sync problem AND the chipmunk on helium issue both go away if the disc is ripped to MKV and played via SMB on an Oppo BDP-103.

There's an issue with the chapters on the main album when trying to use AudioMuxer to just extract the audio from the MKV, but that isn't something a disc author should be expected to worry about...technically I'm not even supposed to TRY that!

Tech whining aside, Mr. Cooke is a serious talent who made a great album!

I appreciate that the music and mixes are being enjoyed! Interesting issues, and sad for me. I spent so much time authoring and testing that disc! Are all issues being experienced on Oppo players?

I appreciate that the music and mixes are being enjoyed! Interesting issues, and sad for me. I spent so much time authoring and testing that disc! Are all issues being experienced on Oppo players?

Possibly. In my case it's two different Oppos, a BDP-93 and a BDP-103, both behaving identically. I've got a really old pre-Blu-ray Oppo I can try at some point as well as a first-generation Panasonic Blu-ray I could probably dig up if that would help.

I've got the mashup that includes "The Rot" and "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" stuck on a loop in my head!

This is a full version of the third song from that mashup: Joanna Newsom's monkey and bear, covered by Cooke/us.
https://youtu.be/81f0bMRDpLk

Again, anyone having issues, shoot me a PM or an email and I'll send you flac.

Back