Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Cooke - The Fall I Fell - Tenth Anniversary - New surround mixes

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ian Cooke - The Fall I Fell - Tenth Anniversary - New surround mixes

FLAC download! https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-i-fell
    19 songs in 5.1 FLAC to be downloaded from dropbox. Not the most elegant delivery, but not bad for now I hope. This includes the 2017 mix of The Fall I Fell, plus the unreleased track (which is stereo on the DVD), plus six live songs. Three of these live songs are quad live-style (two stereo pairs) and three of these are full discrete mixes with symphony in the rears and band in the front and center.
    Thanks for your comments, and thanks to HomerJAU for helping me out with the tagging.
    Please let me know if there are any issues!
    Ian O

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ian Cooke - The Fall I Fell - Tenth Anniversary - New surround mixes

Great effort!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes popshop liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popshop View Post
    FLAC download! https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-i-fell
    19 songs in 5.1 FLAC to be downloaded from dropbox. Not the most elegant delivery, but not bad for now I hope. This includes the 2017 mix of The Fall I Fell, plus the unreleased track (which is stereo on the DVD), plus six live songs. Three of these live songs are quad live-style (two stereo pairs) and three of these are full discrete mixes with symphony in the rears and band in the front and center.
    Thanks for your comments, and thanks to HomerJAU for helping me out with the tagging.
    Please let me know if there are any issues!
    Ian O
    That's great ! A quick question: is there any discount on the purchase of the 5.1 flac download for those who have bought the disc version?

5. Thanks popshop thanked for this post
    Likes popshop, Robert van Diggele liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, why not? PM me with your email. If you've purchased the disc, let's consider the flac price to be a donation of your choice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7. Thanks Robert van Diggele, grill thanked for this post
    Likes Robert van Diggele, grill, JanBakker liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, why not? PM me with your email. If you've purchased the disc, let's consider the flac price to be a donation of your choice.

Thanks a lot. Imho this release is one of those less and less digital audio albums which is still worth purchasing in physical format, too.

9. Likes popshop liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Just rec'd my copy this afternoon. Nice package and artwork. There are a few issues with the disc however - the main menu has a song "Waltz" playing in the background - unfortunately, it is obscured by a very loud white noise - pretty sure that is not intended. When you select your audio option (stereo or surround), the noise disappears and everything proceeds nicely. The mixes are very well done, although I would have preferred lossless to lossy DTS 24/48. There is a ton of content on this disc - which makes it quite a discrete, surround value. One other little quirk is the "Story from 2009" Feature. It appears to be at the wrong speed - Ian sounds as if he just took a few hits of helium. It's not essential but I can't imagine that it's intentional either. Would love to hear if others are experiencing the same.

11. Thanks svengaleekie thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elmer, I'm sorry to hear this. I authored it, so I take responsibility for any issues. I'll PM you with a flac download, which includes waltz in 5.1.
    I hope you enjoy the music and mixes, my apologies!

13. Thanks elmer thanked for this post
    Likes elmer liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    Just rec'd my copy this afternoon. Nice package and artwork. There are a few issues with the disc however - the main menu has a song "Waltz" playing in the background - unfortunately, it is obscured by a very loud white noise - pretty sure that is not intended. When you select your audio option (stereo or surround), the noise disappears and everything proceeds nicely. The mixes are very well done, although I would have preferred lossless to lossy DTS 24/48. There is a ton of content on this disc - which makes it quite a discrete, surround value. One other little quirk is the "Story from 2009" Feature. It appears to be at the wrong speed - Ian sounds as if he just took a few hits of helium. It's not essential but I can't imagine that it's intentional either. Would love to hear if others are experiencing the same.

Yep, I got mine delivered this morning and I just put the DVD in the Oppo and I'm getting the same white noise on the starting menu, what a shame, the quality of the songs is great though

15. Likes popshop liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by svengaleekie View Post
    Yep, I got mine delivered this morning and I just put the DVD in the Oppo and I'm getting the same white noise on the starting menu, what a shame, the quality of the songs is great though
    I suppose I should have commented as well. I get the white noise. sort of forgot...

17. Likes popshop liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elmer, I'm sorry to hear this. I authored it, so I take responsibility for any issues. I'll PM you with a flac download, which includes waltz in 5.1.
    I hope you enjoy the music and mixes, my apologies!

Thank you! I look forward to the Flac files.

19. Likes popshop liked this post
    800 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge sync issues near the end of one of the live clips as well. Curiously, the sync problem AND the chipmunk on helium issue both go away if the disc is ripped to MKV and played via SMB on an Oppo BDP-103.

There's an issue with the chapters on the main album when trying to use AudioMuxer to just extract the audio from the MKV, but that isn't something a disc author should be expected to worry about...technically I'm not even supposed to TRY that!

Tech whining aside, Mr. Cooke is a serious talent who made a great album!

21. Thanks peterzach, elmer thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach, elmer, Robert van Diggele liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate that the music and mixes are being enjoyed! Interesting issues, and sad for me. I spent so much time authoring and testing that disc! Are all issues being experienced on Oppo players?

800 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate that the music and mixes are being enjoyed! Interesting issues, and sad for me. I spent so much time authoring and testing that disc! Are all issues being experienced on Oppo players?
    Possibly. In my case it's two different Oppos, a BDP-93 and a BDP-103, both behaving identically. I've got a really old pre-Blu-ray Oppo I can try at some point as well as a first-generation Panasonic Blu-ray I could probably dig up if that would help.

I've got the mashup that includes "The Rot" and "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" stuck on a loop in my head!

24. Likes popshop liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine also is Oppo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Likes popshop liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a full version of the third song from that mashup: Joanna Newsom's monkey and bear, covered by Cooke/us.
    https://youtu.be/81f0bMRDpLk

Again, anyone having issues, shoot me a PM or an email and I'll send you flac.

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=popshop;335415]I appreciate that the music and mixes are being enjoyed! Interesting issues, and sad for me. I spent so much time authoring and testing that disc! Are all issues being experienced on Oppo players?/QUOTE]

I've tried it in my Pioneer BDP-450 and the issue is the same as the Oppo BDP103D, the root menu comes up with white noise/static, until the audio choice is made and I start playing the songs themselves or watching video, if I go back using Top menu or Popup Menu the static is again there, so its just the menu.
    By the way thanks for the flac files in 5.1 they work well.

29. Likes GOS liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Same "white noise" issue on my Oppo 203 - the main album versions seem to play OK but I'm also getting the helium effect on the documentary.

800 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    Possibly. In my case it's two different Oppos, a BDP-93 and a BDP-103, both behaving identically. I've got a really old pre-Blu-ray Oppo I can try at some point as well as a first-generation Panasonic Blu-ray I could probably dig up if that would help.
    Just dug out the dusty Panasonic DMP-BD30. Real music and not noise under the menu and no helium/chipmunk for the interview! I didn't test the live clip for sync issues.

It might be worth sending a copy to Oppo just to see if they either have any advice or just admit the problem is on their end. It's fascinating to me that the interview plays fine on an Oppo as an MKV. In theory, it's the same bits in a different container.

800 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Oppo DV-970HD: Noise for the menu, chipmunk for the interview. But this time the audio for the interview is also out of sync, which I don't believe is the case with the other players.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

The same issue on my Oppo 105D, too. FYI here are the dynamic range (DR) values of the 5.1 flac tracks:

foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-05-21 19:12:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Ian Cooke / The Fall I Fell
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR14 -0.20 dB -17.41 dB 3:43 01-Music
    DR10 -2.16 dB -18.41 dB 3:31 02-Trouble Process Report
    DR12 -2.38 dB -17.22 dB 3:03 03-Vasoon
    DR11 -2.46 dB -19.03 dB 5:08 04-Flood
    DR6 -5.59 dB -18.76 dB 2:42 05-Trade Places
    DR14 -2.36 dB -21.86 dB 3:20 06-The Owner and The Origin
    DR13 -1.96 dB -20.38 dB 5:08 07-Kursk
    DR15 -2.16 dB -24.18 dB 3:35 08-All Of Us
    DR13 -2.16 dB -20.91 dB 4:49 09-Birds Of A Feather
    DR15 -1.96 dB -19.76 dB 3:43 10-Darkening
    DR14 -2.06 dB -20.48 dB 2:08 11-Imaginary Contracts
    DR12 -2.06 dB -19.77 dB 4:54 12-The Rot
    DR12 -0.10 dB -14.93 dB 2:44 13-Waltz
    DR10 0.00 dB -19.14 dB 4:38 14-Flood (live 2011)
    DR11 -0.38 dB -18.08 dB 2:50 15-Vasoon (live 2011)
    DR11 -0.31 dB -18.67 dB 4:19 16-The Rot (live 2011)
    DR11 -0.64 dB -15.70 dB 3:56 17-Music (live quartet 2015)
    DR12 -0.40 dB -17.90 dB 3:08 18-Vasoon (live symphony 2015)
    DR12 -0.40 dB -17.57 dB 4:05 19-Music (live symphony 2015)

Number of tracks: 19
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 6
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3824 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================== ==============================

34. Thanks popshop thanked for this post
    Likes popshop, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Grill - Thanks for posting the DR values. The main point of re-mixing the album was to have a quieter and less compressed mix overall so it's nice to see it in print!
    I spent a couple days in your beautiful city of Budapest. We played on A38 on the Danube - fantastic venue.
    All - I'm back now so shipping and flac downloads will be quicker and easier. My apologies!

36. Thanks GOS thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, GOS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12