Next XTC remix according to Andy Partridge is BLACK SEA!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RT, why haven't you rated it yet? Not that there's any mystery to it. ;)

So, how would you rate Black Sea versus the existing XTC SW issues?
Just curious.

So, how would you rate Black Sea versus the existing XTC SW issues?
Just curious.

It's better than "Drums & Wires" (and I LOVED "Drums & Wires") but it's not necessarily better than "Skylarking" and "Oranges & Lemons". It's just very different than those two records.
I'll try to write a thorough review of the disc tomorrow, but for now, let me just say, it's one of the easiest '10's this year.

:)

It's better than "Drums & Wires" (and I LOVED "Drums & Wires") but it's not necessarily better than "Skylarking" and "Oranges & Lemons". It's just very different than those two records.
I'll try to write a thorough review of the disc tomorrow, but for now, let me just say, it's one of the easiest '10's this year.

Different in which way?

Different in which way?

I find "Black Sea" to be a very different record musically than albums like "Skylarking" & "Oranges & Lemons".
"Black Sea" has a very raw & energetic sound to it, and it was recorded at the height of XTC as a live band.

"Skylarking" and "Oranges & Lemons" have a much more dense, layered, & refined sound, and they were recorded at the height of XTC as a studio band, not to mention that Andy & Colin's songs became more refined as the years went on as well.

In terms of the 5.1 surround mixes, "Black Sea" is not necessarily a better mix than albums like "Skylarking" and "Oranges & Lemons", but despite the more sparse arrangements, Steven Wilson still managed to create an engaging & satisfying 5.1 surround mix that does nothing to diminish the energy of the record.
My favorite 5.1 mixes on the album are definitely "Living Through Another Cuba" and "Travels In Nihilon", cause he utilizes the frenetic energy of those songs to create very immersive and playful 5.1 surround mixes of those two songs!

I find "Black Sea" to be a very different record musically than albums like "Skylarking" & "Oranges & Lemons".
"Black Sea" has a very raw & energetic sound to it, and it was recorded at the height of XTC as a live band...

Thanks for clearing that up and not leave us hanging. ;)

I can’t comment on “Black Sea” because, other than a couple of songs, I haven’t heard it in years. I’ve been too busy listening to “English Settlement”, “The Big Express” and “Oranges and Lemons” the most, since they are my three top favorites. Although, recently, “Skylarking” has been gaining my attention too. I guess, I could blame that on the 5.1 Mix. :)

To me, "Black Sea" was the beginning of the latter XTC, I find it was more "approachable" than "Drums and Wires", which I must confess, I don't like NEARLY as much as the latter XTC...
And as for the mix...well it's a BEAUT, as usual....definitely worth it!!!

I received my copy with the signed Postcard today via Burning Shed. I’m going to keep it sealed in its shipping box because my other copy is arriving from Amazon tomorrow. I ended up paying about forty nine US dollars to store one copy and play the other. It was worth every penny, I’m sure. :)

Roland Orzabal of Tears For Fears at SDE talking about The Black Sea:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/r...a-roland-orzabal-reviews-xtcs-latest-reissue/

I love the title of the review and the corresponding image: "A Partridge and the Black Sea" (lol, love it!)
BLACK-SEA-XMAS-TREE_notext_2.jpg

This is my favorite part of the review:
So, we have another re-release to consider. Why buy it? Well, it’s the first 5.1 mix to be had from this album, and, unsurprisingly (cos I’ve worked with him), the mixing by Steven Wilson is superlative. Sit in the centre of the speakers like you’re supposed to or sit with the main mix on the right and the sub-mix on the left and it’s quite amazing. It’s like being in the perfect rehearsal room with the band; the acoustic guitar overdub on Generals and Majors popping out of the back-left speaker is a revelation, the metallic percussion on Paper and Iron too – it’s a new, for me, way of listening to a very familiar record, it plays with your ears and spatial awareness while making you, despite the odd ping-pong-related injury, want to dance like a drunken teenager.

And this too:
Unfortunately, the pre-Padgham recordings are just not on the same level as Black Sea, the additional tracks are merely, in my opinion, additional tracks, but the surround-sound remixing of Smokeless Zone and Don’t Lose Your Temper brings those songs a lot closer to the quality of the main album.

There is a gulf between this audio experience and what you hear on streaming services. Maybe they will catch up one day? Until then, stay cheerful!

I'm still waiting for my XTC-Black Sea from Burning Shed here in Maryland (shipped on 11/20). The last time a shipment from them took this long, it never arrived. Anybody else in the US still waiting for this from Burning Shed?

I'm still waiting for my XTC-Black Sea from Burning Shed here in Maryland (shipped on 11/20). The last time a shipment from them took this long, it never arrived. Anybody else in the US still waiting for this from Burning Shed?

No, mine arrived several days ago from them. I'm in Illinois.

No, mine arrived several days ago from them. I'm in Illinois.

Shoot. I hope it's not lost because the last time a shipment from them went missing, they made me wait a couple of months before they would refund or replace it.

I should add that was with standard shipping (no tracking or insurance) with which they aren't obligated to replace or refund at all, but they did eventually. Unfortunately, I ordered this with standard shipping also.

I'm still waiting as well. Shipped the same day as yours.

Shoot. I hope it's not lost because the last time a shipment from them went missing, they made me wait a couple of months before they would refund or replace it.

I should add that was with standard shipping (no tracking or insurance) with which they aren't obligated to replace or refund at all, but they did eventually. Unfortunately, I ordered this with standard shipping also.

Yeah - I should have clarified. I did choose expedited and as a result, I had to sign for it. Forgot about that.

Still waiting on my Bill Bruford box. Shipped 24/10 from Flaming Farm, but never arrived in the Netherlands.
Greetings,
Fred.

Back