Next XTC remix according to Andy Partridge is BLACK SEA!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, other posts indicate it is not English Settlement...Mummer or Black Sea I guess? I'm still hoping for Mummer myself but I'll take (and buy) either.

Anyone think there is any chance of The Dukes of Stratosphear being mixed into 5.1? I like the Dukes far more than XTC itself

Anyone think there is any chance of The Dukes of Stratosphear being mixed into 5.1? I like the Dukes far more than XTC itself

If that did happen, it would not happen until after all of the main XTC albums were mixed and released and in 5.1 surround, and at the rate they are going of 1 album per year, they are not going to finish until 2024... :yikes :mad:@: :confused:

If that did happen, it would not happen until after all of the main XTC albums were mixed and released and in 5.1 surround, and at the rate they are going of 1 album per year, they are not going to finish until 2024... :yikes :mad:@: :confused:

Not so sure - if there's issues with finding tapes and the Dukes ones are available, maybe they'll go for it....and it'd be awesome. So much in that stuff for a 5.1 mix to be very adventurous, keeping with the psychedelic aura of the records...maybe not Flaming Lips extreme but I bet Steven would love to let loose a little and some fun with that stuff.

Not so sure - if there's issues with finding tapes and the Dukes ones are available, maybe they'll go for it....and it'd be awesome. So much in that stuff for a 5.1 mix to be very adventurous, keeping with the psychedelic aura of the records...maybe not Flaming Lips extreme but I bet Steven would love to let loose a little and some fun with that stuff.

Well I don't even know about the status of the Dukes' tapes. They could very well be missing too right now, but hopefully after the 5th surround sound series release this Fall, they will either find another full set of tapes from the '80s era, or they will just have Steven Wilson remix "Apple Venus" or "Wasp Star".
Either way, there's still lots of great albums from their catalogue to get through!

:)

If I remember rightly Andy ahs said that some of the Dukes stuff was recorded live in the mix which was gong to make a 5.1 difficult as some re-recording would have to take place

I would love them to get the 5.1 treatment and I am sure there is someone who could 'demix' the live elements.

The tweet we have all been waiting for. Hold onto yer butts!

Just passed all the new stereo mixes by Steven Wilson, now to next stage, the surround mix.
Oh, forgot to mention, it's BLACK SEA

Now that we know that "Black Sea" is the next Surround Sound Series title, time for a little speculation concerning extra tracks and whether or not they will be remixed!

There's three bonus tracks on the current CD edition: "Smokeless Zone", "Don't Lose Your Temper", and "The Somnambulist".
There's also a song called "Take This Town" that was recorded during the "Black Sea" sessions for the film "Times Square". It later appeared on the "Rag & Bone Buffet" CD.
Then we have alternate single versions of album tracks like "Respectable Street" (with different lyrics) and "Towers of London", so I'm very curious to know how many of these tracks have also been remixed for this edition!

Also it would be cool if they manage to include this documentary on the Blu-Ray as well!

[video=youtube;ne35P7kbucs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne35P7kbucs[/video]

Very happy that it's Black Sea! This and Big Express were the two I was most hoping for.

Now that we know that "Black Sea" is the next Surround Sound Series title, time for a little speculation concerning extra tracks and whether or not they will be remixed!

There's three bonus tracks on the current CD edition: "Smokeless Zone", "Don't Lose Your Temper", and "The Somnambulist".
There's also a song called "Take This Town" that was recorded during the "Black Sea" sessions for the film "Times Square". It later appeared on the "Rag & Bone Buffet" CD.
Then we have alternate single versions of album tracks like "Respectable Street" (with different lyrics) and "Towers of London", so I'm very curious to know how many of these tracks have also been remixed for this edition!

All likely candidates for this edition! And that BBC documentary is great, I hope they add it. Of course there's also the music videos for "Respectable Street", "Towers of London" and "Generals & Majors". The other thing that I'd like to see here would be some live material. XTC was still touring at the time and they were a great live band. Some live audio (or video if they have it) would be great.

Fabulous!! Black Sea was my introduction to XTC back in '81. It made a huge impact on me and remains my personal fave (along with English Settlement).

The other thing that I'd like to see here would be some live material. XTC was still touring at the time and they were a great live band. Some live audio (or video if they have it) would be great.

If the other XTC Surround Sound Series releases are any indication, I would not expect any live audio or video material to be included.
I would expect to see demos & rehearsal audio, along with the promotional videos too.

I made the mistake of buying Nonsuch, and I won't make the same mistake with any more XTC releases.
I tried to sell it, but eventually gave up and traded it in for next to nothing. As D.T. would say ... "Sad".

I made the mistake of buying Nonsuch, and I won't make the same mistake with any more XTC releases.
I tried to sell it, but eventually gave up and traded it in for next to nothing. As D.T. would say ... "Sad".

I listen to Drums and Wires ten times more than I listen to Nonsuch. Glad I have both however.

Back