Woodstock 48 this year

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Now that is interesting....I seriously didn't realize that at the time, Santana was unknown. Guess I should have figured that out, but what a weird scenario. Amazing...

Thing is lots of the bands were unknown. Only to those on the east coast, the folks from Cal. probably were aware more of most of them. Due to the music scene then. The 'hardest" rock I knew of then was Sgt. Peppers, Vanilla Fudge, and the rest were not heard of due to the fact they were not promoted and the music was not played here, until the 70's. and even then it was 'underground" only after 11PM at night.
actually I will never forget one day I went outside and heard Led Zep - during the day! I was a bit surprised at that. It was the Woodstock film that opened up the music to everyone. AM radio was the leader then pop music only.

Some Woodstock trivia I thought some of you might enjoy. A lot of it surprised me when I first learned of it.

Did you know that...

... Presale cost of a ticket for all 3 days was $18

... of all the acts who appeared at Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix was the top paid performer

... because of the rain, Hendrix didn't take the stage until Monday morning after the festival was already supposed to have been ended

... Blood, Sweat, and Tears, The Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Band, and Johnny/Edgar Winter (among several other acts) also performed at the festival, but did not appear in the film or the official soundtrack due to legalities with their respective record companies

... Bands that either backed out or turned down an invitation to appear include Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Moody Blues, Frank Zappa, The Doors, The Byrds, and Jethro Tull. The latter, according to Ian Anderson, refused the gig because they feared there would be too many hippies and rampant nudity. Iron Butterfly was scheduled but couldn't make it to the venue because of the traffic issues

... The ashes of Richie Havens were scattered at Woodstock after he died

... there were two deaths and two births during the festival
I was bummed that Iron Butterfly did not show up. Was looking forward to hearing them.
They did play the whole Ball album Saturday morning on the p.a. while getting day 2 ready, but that was it.

Back