Woodstock 48 this year

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
48 year already! I did not go, I was in the Army in Germany. But here are some unpublished pics I ran across
Enjoy while you feel old!
17.jpg22.jpg30.jpg

Hey! Tell us if you went! If all the people who claimed they went did really go, it would have been 12 x's the size it was.

Last edited:
I was 12. The parents just would not allow it. I lamented for years after hearing about all those topless girls.

I was also 12 and regret to this day not going. I had enough cash on hand from my newspaper routes and there was a 2 vehicle caravan from our neighborhood going (including my best friend). But at that time I wasn't into anything​ but music and of course the female body. So I had to weigh the pros and cons about running away, leaving my paper route customers etc. And decided it wasn't the right thing to do at the time.
But my friends mother was a war bride from the UK and the previous fall his parents went back to visit her kin and brought me back an authentic Union Jack. Since it was a gift from my friends parents I let him take it to Woodstock to fly outside his tent.
I was surprised to get it back in decent condition and washed it after his story of fornicating on it.....Ha......(I gave it to his son a couple years ago when his mother passed)........I've looked before on the documentary movie and couldn't see the flag/tent for confirmation........

I was also 12 and regret to this day not going. I had enough cash on hand from my newspaper routes and there was a 2 vehicle caravan from our neighborhood going (including my best friend). But at that time I wasn't into anything​ but music and of course the female body. So I had to weigh the pros and cons about running away, leaving my paper route customers etc. And decided it wasn't the right thing to do at the time.
But my friends mother was a war bride from the UK and the previous fall his parents went back to visit her kin and brought me back an authentic Union Jack. Since it was a gift from my friends parents I let him take it to Woodstock to fly outside his tent.
I was surprised to get it back in decent condition and washed it after his story of fornicating on it.....Ha......(I gave it to his son a couple years ago when his mother passed)........I've looked before on the documentary movie and couldn't see the flag/tent for confirmation........

It did not hit me at first, I saw articles in the Stars and Stripes news for GI's overseas. It was not until I was home and the movie was out did I realize the scope of what I had missed out on!:(

I was Only 2 and live in the UK so my chances of going to woodstock were always small ;)

I did do a lot of Glastonbury Festivals before that got to big though good times

I was 9, and though I did not live very far from Woodstock I was in Sweden for the Summer. So yeah, missed that and the moon landing. Sweden had 2 television channels at that time, I'm not sure they even covered the moon! Now, I was 13 for the much bigger Watkins Glen Summer Jam which was only 20 miles from my house.... but my mums wouldn't let my brother and I go. :(

I am beyond envious of anyone who went to Woodstock. I mean, how...freaking...cool.
For me, the whole idea of that moment in time almost doesn't seem real...like it's some sort of religious event. :mad:@:

OK, I know - acid and tons of reefer probably made it an event for many...lmao
Probably a good thing I wasn't there.....back in my youth I was never afraid to try anything....just once.

I was 9, and though I did not live very far from Woodstock I was in Sweden for the Summer. So yeah, missed that and the moon landing. Sweden had 2 television channels at that time, I'm not sure they even covered the moon! Now, I was 13 for the much bigger Watkins Glen Summer Jam which was only 20 miles from my house.... but my mums wouldn't let my brother and I go. :(

I was 16 when the Summer Jam took place at Watkins Glen. I was allowed to attend that one, being chaperoned by an older brother who could drive. In spite of buying a ticket ($10 or $12 I think), it didn't matter. Half the people there got in for free anyway. I remember a lot of sound towers. No real view of the stage from where I was (and large TV projection monitors weren't yet in use), so all you could do was listen. Massive traffic jams getting there and back, much of it on single lane country roads. And most sadly, no topless girls frolicking in mud. None that I saw anyway.

It was only bigger with respect to the reported size of the audience. There were only three bands, The Dead, The Band, and the Allman Brothers. Hardly a legendary event on the scale of the original Woodstock Festival.

By the time Jimi came on stage most people left as the whole place really started to stink with all the wet garbage. Only the true Hendrix fans stayed to the end.

Some Woodstock trivia I thought some of you might enjoy. A lot of it surprised me when I first learned of it.

Did you know that...

... Presale cost of a ticket for all 3 days was $18

... of all the acts who appeared at Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix was the top paid performer

... because of the rain, Hendrix didn't take the stage until Monday morning after the festival was already supposed to have been ended

... Blood, Sweat, and Tears, The Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Band, and Johnny/Edgar Winter (among several other acts) also performed at the festival, but did not appear in the film or the official soundtrack due to legalities with their respective record companies

... Bands that either backed out or turned down an invitation to appear include Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Moody Blues, Frank Zappa, The Doors, The Byrds, and Jethro Tull. The latter, according to Ian Anderson, refused the gig because they feared there would be too many hippies and rampant nudity. Iron Butterfly was scheduled but couldn't make it to the venue because of the traffic issues

... The ashes of Richie Havens were scattered at Woodstock after he died

... there were two deaths and two births during the festival

Some Woodstock trivia I thought some of you might enjoy. A lot of it surprised me when I first learned of it.

Did you know that...

... Presale cost of a ticket for all 3 days was $18

... of all the acts who appeared at Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix was the top paid performer

... because of the rain, Hendrix didn't take the stage until Monday morning after the festival was already supposed to have been ended

... Blood, Sweat, and Tears, The Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Band, and Johnny/Edgar Winter (among several other acts) also performed at the festival, but did not appear in the film or the official soundtrack due to legalities with their respective record companies

... Bands that either backed out or turned down an invitation to appear include Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Moody Blues, Frank Zappa, The Doors, The Byrds, and Jethro Tull. The latter, according to Ian Anderson, refused the gig because they feared there would be too many hippies and rampant nudity. Iron Butterfly was scheduled but couldn't make it to the venue because of the traffic issues

... The ashes of Richie Havens were scattered at Woodstock after he died

... there were two deaths and two births during the festival

And, the Who refused to go on without a cash payment up front. They had to get the investor out of bed to get the money.

It is my understanding that Johnny Winter was top paid and he actually was paid where many did not get paid.
Also, Johnny was going in a hard rock blues direction and his management did not want him typecast as the hippie band, reason for not being in the film.

In November of 2016, I was able to get the chock full 3 BD~V set of Woodstock for a paltry $5 BRAND NEW. I already had the previously released Boxset with all the memorabilia. Doubtful it will look better even if it's released in 4K as the event was shot in 16mm [unless they attempt to do a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which, IMO, would be OVERKILL]. At the time of the 'event' I was vacationing in California but my 'hippie' cousin actually had tickets but she couldn't get near the place and had to turn back.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Woodstock-3-Days-of-Peace-and-Music-Blu-ray/101648/

BTW, I caught the recent Jimi Hendrix bio 'All Is By My Side' on FIOS and was pretty disappointed with its lethargic pacing. Trailer: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B966862A337ECBE481B5B966862A337ECBE&FORM=VIRE following the trailer for the film, there's a 30+ minute FINAL interview with Hendrix conducted on September 11th, 1970.

BTW, I caught the recent Jimi Hendrix bio 'All Is By My Side' on FIOS and was pretty disappointed with its lethargic pacing. Trailer: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B966862A337ECBE481B5B966862A337ECBE&FORM=VIRE following the trailer for the film, there's a 30+ minute FINAL interview with Hendrix conducted on September 11th, 1970.

I watched All Is By My Side on Netflix. I agree about the slow pace of the film. It was interesting to see how his career began though. I do wonder how much of it was embellished in the film. I actually didn't realize he was such a big sensation in the UK before he broke through in the US.

It is my understanding that Johnny Winter was top paid and he actually was paid where many did not get paid.
Also, Johnny was going in a hard rock blues direction and his management did not want him typecast as the hippie band, reason for not being in the film.

Apparently not so with regard to Winter's paycheck. see here

Even more surprising to me are the artists and bands that fell to the low end of the scale.

Apparently not so with regard to Winter's paycheck. see here

Even more surprising to me are the artists and bands that fell to the low end of the scale.

Wow! Now that is interesting....I seriously didn't realize that at the time, Santana was unknown. Guess I should have figured that out, but what a weird scenario. Amazing...

Back