Quad LP/Tape Poll Stardrive with Robert Mason: Intergalactic Trot [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Intergalactic Trot"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Elektra EQ-5058 from 1973.

Side 1:

Rushes
Strawberry Fields Forever
Stardrive

Side 2:

Dr. Tandem (Takes a Ride)
Want to Take You Higher
Everything at Once
Intergalactic Trot

On the Q8, "Strawberry Fields" and "Everything at Once" exchanged sides to even out the timings.

ED :)

This is one of my favorite quad mixes, and if you thought the CD-4 vinyl sounded good the QR blows it out of the water! Almost constant synthi quad motion over tight fusion grooves (Steve Gadd holds it down for God's sake!). Michael Brecker adds some amazing sax playing to add to the fusion vibe. Robert Mason put together one of the first polyphonic synthesizers and this album is an outfit to show it off, and boy does he! Swirling synths and fusion grooves, it doesn't get too much better than that in my book. 10

Can this one be found as a download anywhere? Sounds like it's a killer.

When WEA were getting in to QuadraDisc in mid-1973, Jac Holzmann did a big interview with Billboard to promote it and he mentioned this album as being specifically recorded for quad, and it definitely shows in the mix. Having Steve Gadd and Michael Brecker (arguably the top two New York session musicians of the 70's) playing on it doesn't hurt either.

Stardrive moved to Columbia the following year and did one more album, and then Robert Mason kind of falls off the face of the earth - he's credited for playing synth on BS&T's Mirror Image ('74) and New City ('75), and possibly a songwriting credit on the Star Trek soundtrack from the late 70's and then nothing after that. Wonder what happened to him?

ETA: Turns out the music on the Star Trek LP (which is from '76) is just reused from the LP that Stardrive for Columbia in '74, as per the notes from the discogs entry. So there's really no sign of Mr. Mason after the BS&T album in 1975. Curious..

robertmason_assault_Billboard-Nov-2-1974.jpg
robertmason_assault_Record_World_Oct_26_1974.jpg
robertmason_assault_Cash_Box_Oct_26_1974.jpg

The more I look in to this guy, the weirder it gets! Still can't find a single mention of Mason or Stardrive in 1975.

the first time I heard this I loved it (and that was in plain ol' Stereo) when I learned there was a Quad.. wow.. real demo worthy this one.. maybe one day it'll see a reissue, hope so.. oh and good luck with the sleuthing, Dave! :upthumb

edit: it gets a "9" from me in the QQ Poll.

Last edited:
Back in the quad days, this was actually considered a rare CD-4. Well, not quite "Tubular Bells" rare, but for a US Quadradisc, this was a find around '74-'75. I honestly don't think I ever actually saw it in a record store (other than in the cut-outs, and even there, still rare)

There is one track ( Rushes) attibuted to Stardrive featuring Bob Mason on the WEA demonstration disc.
Maybe he goes by Bob Mason? Stardrive is one of my faves.

vinylguy4

Damn all these killer reviews are making me nuts. :confused:

I need to hear this ASAP. Someone please send a link!

Bruce Ditmas, the percussion player on the album, sent me the following message...."Bob made a very interesting instrument ..... the band on the record was not the same as the band we had before........I believe the record label wanted something more commercial....after Stardrive finished (after second record) bob somehow opened a recording studio that didn't last long.....I have no idea what happened to him"

I guess this one doesn't bowl me over as it seems to many others. I mean, the production and mix are good but the synthesized music just seems too busy with too many unnecessary doo-dads going on in the background. Kind of cartoonish. His instrumentation choices seem to be too much the same from number to number, too. My taste in electronic music runs more to Tomita or Carlos. 7

Doug

Back