Quad LP/Tape Poll Seals & Crofts: I'll Play for You [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "I'll Play for You"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Their last quad album, from 1975.

Side 1:

I'll Play for You
Golden Rainbow
Candles in the Sand
Blue Bonnet Nation
Ugly City

Side 2:

Wayland the Rabbit
Freaks Fret
Truth Is But a Woman
Fire and Vengeance

ED :)

It had been just a few years past their SUMMER BREEZE breakthrough, but by this time S&C were getting ever more dull and predictable. At best this is a pleasant collection of songs, nothing more, with, IMO, little of distinction. Decent mix, but the artistic clock was tickin' away fast. A '6.'

ED :)

Only 2 votes? How come this Seals and Crofts album gets no love in the polls?

I think Ed’s review is a little harsh. (Well, okay: on a bad day I might also call Summer Breeze and Diamond Girl little more than “pleasant collections of songs,” even if Seals & Crofts are up there with Bread and Loggins and Messina in the narrow category of Soft Rock Albums I Actually Feel Like Listening To Every Once In a While.) Still: beyond “I’ll Play For You,” which rivals their other big hits, “Castles In the Sand” is pretty good, as is the jazzy instrumental samba “Freaks Fret” and the closer “Fire and Vengeance.” And “Wayland the Rabbit” is ambitious, if a bit precious.

Great David Paich arrangements and rock-steady performances throughout. The band and the horn section consist of impeccable Wrecking Crew types, anchored by Wilton Felder & Jeff Porcaro.

I listened to a nice conversion of the quad reel. Good, clean sound, and the discrete mix is totally solid, if unadventurous. I’m teetering between a high 7 and a low 8, and I guess I’ll tip the scales toward the 8.

The S&C quads would make a nice “Quadio” box, no? Though there’s probably not a big enough paying clientele for it.

Last edited:
Back