'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy crap! I wasn't expecting this to continue, but I hadn't really considered whether it would. Part of me still doesn't believe we're getting Pepper.

So, hmmm... Now that I AM thinking about it, Abbey Road can't be far away! But will we ever get Revolver...

Holy crap! I wasn't expecting this to continue, but I hadn't really considered whether it would. Part of me still doesn't believe we're getting Pepper.

So, hmmm... Now that I AM thinking about it, Abbey Road can't be far away! But will we ever get Revolver...

I would love to have Revolver, The White Album and Abbey Road in 5.1. I suspect that going back further would run into limitations due to the number of source tracks available. However, if feasible, Rubber Soul would also be great. At least stereo remixes of that and Help! would be nice to replace the ones done by George Martin for the original CD releases using the rather limited digital technology available at the time.

I would love to have Revolver, The White Album and Abbey Road in 5.1. I suspect that going back further would run into limitations due to the number of source tracks available. However, if feasible, Rubber Soul would also be great. At least stereo remixes of that and Help! would be nice to replace the ones done by George Martin for the original CD releases using the rather limited digital technology available at the time.

Not trying to be negative I just know how these things go but can you foresee the wailing, moaning & gnashing of teeth at the price of a Super Dooper Deluxe White Album set? Ai-Yi-Yi
According the Giles Martin, The Beatles did a ton more takes & versions recording the White Album than ever before.
The outtakes could be a boxset unto themselves.

But then again, Revolution #9 in 5.1???
Mind-blowing :)

Great news !!

The White Album in surround would be fantastic .I know that Giles had mentioned in the past that he would love to specifically remix it .

One of my uppermost favourite Beatles album and it should sound superb in surround ! (The White Album and Abbey Rd .both my top ten or twenty faves !!!! ) :smokin

If it's true that Sir George Martin originally intended for the White Album to be a collection of only 14 tracks, I'd love to see that tracklist.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I don't think so.

The 5.1 mixes on the Help! Blu-ray are superb IMHO - a million times more to my liking than anything from messrs Giles and Sam.

And I don't think that there is anything wrong with the original analogue stereo mixes.

I'm glad they are looking at The White Album as the next remixed box set, and I'm sure they are also considering the same reissue approach for "Abbey Road" for its 50th anniversary in 2019.
After that I can't see much in the way of further remixed box sets (except for maybe "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver") unless they put together a Beatles Early Years box (a la Pink Floyd)

Of course this all becomes more of a moot point if we get the "Sgt Pepper" box set next week and the surround mix sucks.
However, if it's great, then I say, "Please sir, may I have some more?"

;)

Yup. I've already been imagining how amazing a potential Let It Be set would be complete with the Glyn Johns Get Back sessions, a better remixed LIB Naked mix, not to mention the movie - in its entirety (hopefully). ☺️

The surround mix is NOT going to suck.
Nothing about the Sgt. Pepper box is going to suck.

The surround mix is NOT going to suck.
Nothing about the Sgt. Pepper box is going to suck.

I really, truly hope you're right about the "Sgt Pepper" surround mix, but until I hear it for myself, I'm tampering my expectations so to not be as disappointed as I was with many of the surround mixes on the "1+" and "Magical Mystery Tour" Blu-Rays.

If it's true that Sir George Martin originally intended for the White Album to be a collection of only 14 tracks, I'd love to see that tracklist.

From Wikipedia......a little background on The WHITE ALBUM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album)

Yes, George Martin originally wanted the Beatles to release the White Album as a single disc thinking it overindulgent!

"Giles Martin has achieved a sweet and happy balance here, creating an immersive listening experience while maintaining a somewhat traditional Stereo sound stage that honors the richness of the Mono mix. So fear not Dear Readers-who-are-haters-of-overly-immersive-surround-sound-mixes.."
:mad:@:

Pretty much the worst thing to read in a review.

http://audiophilereview.com/audioph...-at-50-part-1-the-new-surround-sound-mix.html

Boy, I'm sure glad the 5.1 mix is faithful to the mono mix. :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

How is that even possible???

Mono delivers all sound from the same point of origin(providing NO imaging whatsoever). Stereo gave the ability to "place" a sound in a certain point between two points in space, more importantly allowing to separate the instruments physically, providing a quantum leap in clarity. 5.1 simply provides additional space to showcase musical parts, vocals or instruments.

I think it may be the name "5.1" that freaks people out like its some kinda techie-trick. Perhaps if the industry had adopted the term, Ultra-Stereo or SuperStereo, we wouldn't have this fallacy of a 5.1 mix being a gimmick.

A mono, stereo or multi-channel mix will always be unique to itself without the possibility of being similar to each other. Such complete ignorance would be akin to saying: "we are proud to offer chocolate ice cream that retains all the taste sensations of strawberry!"

So what is this imbecile talking about that it "honors the richness of the Mono mix".???

Sorry guys, I just hate utter & abject stupidity, hence the mini-rant.

5.1 is no trick or gimmick. It upsets me to see morons like this reviewer continue to promulgate this ignorant and false perception. And of course much worse that remixing engineers completely fail in the opportunity to allow an honest 5.1 remix to take the music to where we all know it can go...

Ryan,
If I may.
I realize that the general consensus on The Beatles 1+ was disappointment.
After doing a lot of reading and listening to the set, I have the exact opposite opinion.

Given the tape sources he had to work with, I'm convinced that Giles Martin did a fantastic job on this set.
The tapes were from Live performances, not the painstakingly created studio constructs that the albums were.
You can't create something out something that isn't there to begin with.
In my multi-channel room, Beatles 1+ creates a 3D wall of sound unimaginable given what they had to work with.

People constantly mention Love in reference to what they would like to see in a 5.1 mix.
The thing is that project was commissioned by Cirque du Soleil and not as a pure re-issue of Beatle songs in 5.1.
In one aspect, I was terribly frustrated by the Love mashups as it showed just what could be done with these fantastic recordings\music
only to be yanked out of the immersion by a switch from one song to another and back or whatever.

I do fully understand your POV of not having heightened expectations in order not to be let down.
Trust me, that ain't gonna here. Pepper is the creme de la creme of The Beatles canon.

Not directed at you but 5.1 isn't Quad. Never was Quad, isn't supposed to be Quad and I don't want Quad.

"Giles Martin has achieved a sweet and happy balance here, creating an immersive listening experience while maintaining a somewhat traditional Stereo sound stage that honors the richness of the Mono mix. So fear not Dear Readers-who-are-haters-of-overly-immersive-surround-sound-mixes.."
:mad:@:

Pretty much the worst thing to read in a review.

http://audiophilereview.com/audioph...-at-50-part-1-the-new-surround-sound-mix.html

Boy, I'm sure glad the 5.1 mix is faithful to the mono mix. :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

How is that even possible???

Mono delivers all sound from the same point of origin(providing NO imaging whatsoever). Stereo gave the ability to "place" a sound in a certain point between two points in space, more importantly allowing to separate the instruments physically, providing a quantum leap in clarity. 5.1 simply provides additional space to showcase musical parts, vocals or instruments.

I think it may be the name "5.1" that freaks people out like its some kinda techie-trick. Perhaps if the industry had adopted the term, Ultra-Stereo or SuperStereo, we wouldn't have this fallacy of a 5.1 mix being a gimmick.

A mono, stereo or multi-channel mix will always be unique to itself without the possibility of being similar to each other. Such complete ignorance would be akin to saying: "we are proud to offer chocolate ice cream that retains all the taste sensations of strawberry!"

So what is this imbecile talking about that it "honors the richness of the Mono mix".???

Sorry guys, I just hate utter & abject stupidity, hence the mini-rant.

5.1 is no trick or gimmick. It upsets me to see morons like this reviewer continue to promulgate this ignorant and false perception. And of course much worse that remixing engineers completely fail in the opportunity to allow an honest 5.1 remix to take the music to where we all know it can go...

Thank you for sharing that review. BTW, I found the review VERY positive and wasn't offended by the exclusion of a wildly discrete 5.1 remix. If clarity is gained [which it IS] and individual parts are fully realized [which they ARE] then all isn't lost. NO ONE loves an immersive surround mix more than me but keep in mind....we ARE a niche market and this set will probably sell in the thousands [hopefully] so it also has to appeal to non surround listeners as well. But then again, they wouldn't be buying it for the surround mix, would they? Since Sgt. Pepper was intended as a MONO release [at least in the mind of the Beatles/George Martin AT THE TIME] and there are some discrete elements in the new remix...........I'll settle for that.

Hopefully, the White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be, etc. will ride that roller coaster of immersive surround that we at QQ know and LOVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back