0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (DTS DVD)

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (DTS DVD)

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 release celebrating the 40th anniversary of Jethro Tull's classic album "Songs from the Wood".
    This new 40th anniversary edition features the original 1977 album, unreleased songs, and alternative versions remixed to stereo & 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson.
    The set also features a live concert video from November 1977 mixed in stereo & 5.1 surround by Jakko Jakszyk.

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (DTS DVD)

Another high point in this excellent series. Once again I've had to break my self-imposed rule to give it a 10. The 5.1 remixes are very entertaining as we've come to expect. But then the concert video is truly astonishing when you consider the huge effort taken to compile it into a coherent event. All in all it's better than I could have dared to wish for!
    Ian

3. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (DTS DVD)

I can't vote yet. Its too early. But I can tell its just a question of if this gets a 9 or 10. The 5.1 studio mixes that I sampled (I haven't gotten to them all yet) are of the high standard you would expect based on the track record Steven Wilson has with this Tull re-issue series. The title track turns it up a notch. It is awesome with the vocal harmonies presented in a very discreet manner and coming from everywhere. Demo material for sure. There are more standouts, many more, not the least of which are the remixed 5.1 extra tracks.

The concert video I really need to explore more. Don't expect any high res images. In fact, a lot of what I saw was full of artifacts (horizontal lines across dark areas in the video, lots of fuzz and video noise, 4:3 presentation). The concert audio seems like different feeds are being used between songs. And it seems like the audience noise isn't anchored anywhere, but when music is playing the audio is very clean and well done, another great job on a live 5.1 soundtrack mix from J.J. But its the content here that's gonna stand out for you. It might be the best overall Tull performance I've seen, made even better for me because I did not catch this tour live back in the day.

I realize the Sgt. Pepper release is getting a lot of attention right now, but this set is very worthy. Its going to take some time to get through all the extras, but its gonna be a great listen.

5. Thanks edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker, edisonbaggins liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyQuad View Post
    I can't vote yet. Its too early. But I can tell its just a question of if this gets a 9 or 10. The 5.1 studio mixes that I sampled (I haven't gotten to them all yet) are of the high standard you would expect based on the track record Steven Wilson has with this Tull re-issue series. The title track turns it up a notch. It is awesome with the vocal harmonies presented in a very discreet manner and coming from everywhere. Demo material for sure. There are more standouts, many more, not the least of which are the remixed 5.1 extra tracks.

The concert video I really need to explore more. Don't expect any high res images. In fact, a lot of what I saw was full of artifacts (horizontal lines across dark areas in the video, lots of fuzz and video noise, 4:3 presentation). The concert audio seems like different feeds are being used between songs. And it seems like the audience noise isn't anchored anywhere, but when music is playing the audio is very clean and well done, another great job on a live 5.1 soundtrack mix from J.J. But its the content here that's gonna stand out for you. It might be the best overall Tull performance I've seen, made even better for me because I did not catch this tour live back in the day.

I realize the Sgt. Pepper release is getting a lot of attention right now, but this set is very worthy. Its going to take some time to get through all the extras, but its gonna be a great listen.

You really shouldn't demerit a 1977 video for having a 4:3 aspect ratio. Widescreen would NOT be faithful to source.

7. Likes Neil Palfreyman, svengaleekie liked this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    You really shouldn't demerit a 1977 video for having a 4:3 aspect ratio. Widescreen would NOT be faithful to source.
    Oh I'm not demeriting it at all. It is what it is. Its the audio that is the real standout aspect of it.

But isn't synching it to a different audio track an even larger degree of unfaithfulness to the source than making it widescreen? And indecently, regarding the selections I viewed so far, I saw no hint of any disparity when it comes to the alignment of audio and video.

Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I loved it! These Tull packages are just phenomenal... The 5.1 is truly immersive for an excellent album that really deserves it. And then it is encased in all the extra music, videos (wow - the concert in 5.1 too!), and the now typical tremendous booklet, full of great essays and info. What a great way to spend a weekend! Big praise for all involved... Favorite moment - apart from the title track? Pibroch (Cap In Hand) - that wonderful opening guitar conflagration, and then the "jig and reel" in the middle, all nicely placed in surround. What a remarkbale Tull series - well done to Ian and the team for making it happen in 2017!! Who woulda thought it, 40 years later?

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those mixes that immediately makes me feel like I'm experiencing something magical. It's as if the album were transformed into some spectacular amusement park ride, and the listener gets to step inside. Brilliant.
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

11. Thanks 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star privateuniverse's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great addition to an already excellent reissue campaign. If you've enjoyed the other Tull sets, then you'll love this. SW has worked his usual magic. I won't ramble on about the mix as I think it's all been covered above, so I'll just quote Adrian Belew: "I LIKE IT!"

As for the concert footage, I have no complaints at all. Given the limitations of the source material, it's done very well. Concert footage of any band in 1977 is rare enough, so to see the band in top form at a time when they were still packing the largest venues is quite a treat. It's a killer performance. The technical challenges Jakko faced to bring the project to fruition were pretty immense, so kudos to him for pulling it off. When I think of who else was on the road that year..... Pink Floyd was touring to promote Animals, Genesis with Wind & Wuthering, Yes with Going For the One, Peter Gabriel with his first album, the list goes on..... What I would give to have a concert video of equal caliber from any of those tours....

As with all the Tull sets, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Lots of A+ content at a very affordable price. I won't knock off any points for not giving us a blu-ray option (but I really wish they would!)

13. Likes GOS, vegas liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all you expect from this series. Same great packaging and loaded with extras and a great Steven Wilson mix. Although I just like the mix a lot without loving it as much as some of other Tulls.

Since I like others better, I'll give this one a "9"

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted 9. Very good mix and music, great extras.

16. Likes fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a 10 no question for me. My favourite Tull album. The live concert is excellent too

18. Likes fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by privateuniverse View Post
    Another great addition to an already excellent reissue campaign. If you've enjoyed the other Tull sets, then you'll love this. SW has worked his usual magic. I won't ramble on about the mix as I think it's all been covered above, so I'll just quote Adrian Belew: "I LIKE IT!"

As for the concert footage, I have no complaints at all. Given the limitations of the source material, it's done very well. Concert footage of any band in 1977 is rare enough, so to see the band in top form at a time when they were still packing the largest venues is quite a treat. It's a killer performance. The technical challenges Jakko faced to bring the project to fruition were pretty immense, so kudos to him for pulling it off. When I think of who else was on the road that year..... Pink Floyd was touring to promote Animals, Genesis with Wind & Wuthering, Yes with Going For the One, Peter Gabriel with his first album, the list goes on..... What I would give to have a concert video of equal caliber from any of those tours....

As with all the Tull sets, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Lots of A+ content at a very affordable price. I won't knock off any points for not giving us a blu-ray option (but I really wish they would!)
    saw Yes with Donovan the day Elvis died in that arena, likewise Heart an Queen in '77 there. still waiting on my box, will give review when it arrives.it will help me heal from the nightmare that was Sgt. Pepper.

10.[/QUOTE]

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

5.1 icon Re: Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (DTS DVD)

Listening to it just now. What interested me most when I started the DVD was that there is also a Original Quad Mix of 4 tracks on it. Little is written about it in the release, but the screen Shows an Image of the reel box. In fact loggend on to the forum to find out more, but it seems nobody mentioned it yet?
    Anyway I compared Track 1 "Songs from the Woods " and both versions are completely different.
    The original Quad Mix gives me the feeling I'm in the wood and surrounded by musicians and it opens up a very wide space , the Wilson Mix sounds more down to earth, a piece from a Rock band and I'm Center stage. Not sure which I like more concerning the Quad Mix , of course the sound quality and the Basses are much better in the new mix.
    Anybody known more about the Original Quad mix?
    What's your opinion?

21. Thanks peterzach, edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes sbrom, peterzach, edisonbaggins liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally pressed the button and ordered this a couple weeks ago. I need a few more listening sessions before voting. This will be either a 9 or 10. Mix and SQ excellent, just not sure how accessible the music is to my tastes. So far I prefer Aqualung, but lets see where it goes....

If I calculate correctly, polling results so far have this in a number 2 slot behind DSOTM. Not bad!

Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Tull album (TAAB is second, then AQUALUNG, ymmv), so I was looking forward to this dearly, having those two with SW mixes already. Wow! Gave it a 9 simply because there was no blu ray, but that's petty, I know.

24. Likes sbrom, Suffolk David liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

5.1 is a perfect sound fit for me.

Actually gets an 11 for including my name...

26. Thanks GOS, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, peterzach, kap'n krunch, 360 SOUND, elroy liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post

Finally! Well deserved my man. Great work as always.

28. Thanks JohnN thanked for this post
    Likes JohnN liked this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post

Cool...it's always a boost to your ego when you see your name in some CLASSIC recordings that are reissued...I got mine in a few ...and some that don't even include mine that I also did some QC....I always get amused when I see them in a store and go.."hey, I was part of this!"...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

30. Thanks JohnN thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, JohnN, elroy, edisonbaggins liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well , this was another no brainer for me...not even the fact that it's DTS 96/24 made me take a point off...

The mix is , as usual , perfect beyond words, the extras, and MIGHTY KUDOS to Jakko (who is a genius, and although NOT very popular amongst our members, I think he has his own style of mixing that is masterful!) for the synching and mixing of the concert , which is what is called in Spain "trabajo de chinos" because it's SOOOOO labor INTENSIVE....I can't see basically ANYTHING out of synch..not even the DRUM SOLO!!!! and the mix, although, quite "safe", is very good (hey, he only had 8 tracks to work with).. ("I see that you recognize the song..Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Brick",,,btw...Ian has always DENIED doing any dr*gs but me thinks he was a BIG FAN of the marching powder judging by his FRANTIC stage behavior..even Robert Plant said so...but , then , people are misquoted or other people make things up)

And as usual, you get MORE than your money's worth with the CDS, TWO DVDs and a really nice book! (not even a booklet)..

an 11!!!!
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

32. Thanks peterzach, mrcond thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine just needs to hurry the hell up and get here. Only 1 more week of paternity leave...

Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I was surprised how good this album is. I didn't really get into Tull much after War Child but I am liking this album a lot reminds me of Thick as a Brick in places. I will give it a 9. The concert footage is crazy! Those were the days.

35. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

pretty much everything you could hope for and more! great surround, tons of extras, a nice album to boot....what more could ya want? solid 10.

37. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41, svengaleekie liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdrive
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

5 minutes ago just got this from the mailman-via "the shed ".

20170622_114526.jpg

Hurray !!! To-nite some More Tull.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fizzywiggs41 View Post
    5 minutes ago just got this from the mailman-via "the shed ".

20170622_114526.jpg

Hurray !!! To-nite some More Tull.
    You're in for a real treat!!!

40. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star Fourplay's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Short take: Unless you hate Jethro Tull, this is essential listening.

The two most anticipated surround releases of the last 12 months have been delayed to my sweet spot for various reasons. The other one (sorry Beatles) was the Pink Floyd Early Years box. I finally got Songs From The Wood two days ago, a full month after the release date (my May was intense).

I have noted elsewhere (http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...l=1#post316800) that this WAS my 2nd most anticipated unreleased surround release, and now it is here.

A Blu-ray release would have been nice, but I can find no fault in the audio quality, and the vintage 1970s video would not have seen any appreciable benefit from the greater resolution that Blu-ray can offer. So that is not a stumbling block for me.

I had been hoping that the title track would receive a mix treatment similar to the Eagles "Seven Bridges Road," and I am delighted to say that the 5.1 mix does not disappoint. I have not yet isolated the tracks for deeper scrutiny, but I do not need that level of analysis to know that this mix is delightful to the ears.

The album occupies the sweet spot of my nostalgia, as I was 15 years old on the date if its' release. I wore the groove of this LP through to the flipside, and have loved the songs ever since.

I consider Velvet Green to be nothing less than a masterpiece, and in my opinion it stands as at lease among their best work, if not their very best. To have this particular song in both 5.1 and original unreleased quad is beyond my best hopes. I really thank the compilers of this box for digging up and including the four quad mixes. I too am a little surprised that there has not been more discussion of their inclusion. I need to do more listening before I can properly compare and contrast the quad & 5.1, but I have always believed that having two different surround mixes is great. Adds perspective to the music, particularly when they were mixed in two different eras.

The video is excellent. I am still warming to the mix on the video, but the fact that it was mixed in surround at all is a delight. Most video from the 70s is mono or stereo audio only.

No surprise to find that I voted a 10 on this.
    Head for the roundhouse...
    They'll never corner you there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast