DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 release celebrating the 40th anniversary of Jethro Tull's classic album "Songs from the Wood".
This new 40th anniversary edition features the original 1977 album, unreleased songs, and alternative versions remixed to stereo & 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson.
The set also features a live concert video from November 1977 mixed in stereo & 5.1 surround by Jakko Jakszyk.

(n) :) (y)

R-10331165-1496251114-9621.png.jpg

R-10331165-1496251114-5608.png.jpg

Another high point in this excellent series. Once again I've had to break my self-imposed rule to give it a 10. The 5.1 remixes are very entertaining as we've come to expect. But then the concert video is truly astonishing when you consider the huge effort taken to compile it into a coherent event. All in all it's better than I could have dared to wish for! (y)
Ian

I can't vote yet. Its too early. But I can tell its just a question of if this gets a 9 or 10. The 5.1 studio mixes that I sampled (I haven't gotten to them all yet) are of the high standard you would expect based on the track record Steven Wilson has with this Tull re-issue series. The title track turns it up a notch. It is awesome with the vocal harmonies presented in a very discreet manner and coming from everywhere. Demo material for sure. There are more standouts, many more, not the least of which are the remixed 5.1 extra tracks.

The concert video I really need to explore more. Don't expect any high res images. In fact, a lot of what I saw was full of artifacts (horizontal lines across dark areas in the video, lots of fuzz and video noise, 4:3 presentation). The concert audio seems like different feeds are being used between songs. And it seems like the audience noise isn't anchored anywhere, but when music is playing the audio is very clean and well done, another great job on a live 5.1 soundtrack mix from J.J. But its the content here that's gonna stand out for you. It might be the best overall Tull performance I've seen, made even better for me because I did not catch this tour live back in the day.

I realize the Sgt. Pepper release is getting a lot of attention right now, but this set is very worthy. Its going to take some time to get through all the extras, but its gonna be a great listen.

I can't vote yet. Its too early. But I can tell its just a question of if this gets a 9 or 10. The 5.1 studio mixes that I sampled (I haven't gotten to them all yet) are of the high standard you would expect based on the track record Steven Wilson has with this Tull re-issue series. The title track turns it up a notch. It is awesome with the vocal harmonies presented in a very discreet manner and coming from everywhere. Demo material for sure. There are more standouts, many more, not the least of which are the remixed 5.1 extra tracks.

The concert video I really need to explore more. Don't expect any high res images. In fact, a lot of what I saw was full of artifacts (horizontal lines across dark areas in the video, lots of fuzz and video noise, 4:3 presentation). The concert audio seems like different feeds are being used between songs. And it seems like the audience noise isn't anchored anywhere, but when music is playing the audio is very clean and well done, another great job on a live 5.1 soundtrack mix from J.J. But its the content here that's gonna stand out for you. It might be the best overall Tull performance I've seen, made even better for me because I did not catch this tour live back in the day.

I realize the Sgt. Pepper release is getting a lot of attention right now, but this set is very worthy. Its going to take some time to get through all the extras, but its gonna be a great listen.

You really shouldn't demerit a 1977 video for having a 4:3 aspect ratio. Widescreen would NOT be faithful to source.

You really shouldn't demerit a 1977 video for having a 4:3 aspect ratio. Widescreen would NOT be faithful to source.

Oh I'm not demeriting it at all. It is what it is. Its the audio that is the real standout aspect of it.

But isn't synching it to a different audio track an even larger degree of unfaithfulness to the source than making it widescreen? And indecently, regarding the selections I viewed so far, I saw no hint of any disparity when it comes to the alignment of audio and video.

Oh I loved it! These Tull packages are just phenomenal... The 5.1 is truly immersive for an excellent album that really deserves it. And then it is encased in all the extra music, videos (wow - the concert in 5.1 too!), and the now typical tremendous booklet, full of great essays and info. What a great way to spend a weekend! Big praise for all involved... Favorite moment - apart from the title track? Pibroch (Cap In Hand) - that wonderful opening guitar conflagration, and then the "jig and reel" in the middle, all nicely placed in surround. What a remarkbale Tull series - well done to Ian and the team for making it happen in 2017!! Who woulda thought it, 40 years later?

This is one of those mixes that immediately makes me feel like I'm experiencing something magical. It's as if the album were transformed into some spectacular amusement park ride, and the listener gets to step inside. Brilliant.

Another great addition to an already excellent reissue campaign. If you've enjoyed the other Tull sets, then you'll love this. SW has worked his usual magic. I won't ramble on about the mix as I think it's all been covered above, so I'll just quote Adrian Belew: "I LIKE IT!"

As for the concert footage, I have no complaints at all. Given the limitations of the source material, it's done very well. Concert footage of any band in 1977 is rare enough, so to see the band in top form at a time when they were still packing the largest venues is quite a treat. It's a killer performance. The technical challenges Jakko faced to bring the project to fruition were pretty immense, so kudos to him for pulling it off. When I think of who else was on the road that year..... Pink Floyd was touring to promote Animals, Genesis with Wind & Wuthering, Yes with Going For the One, Peter Gabriel with his first album, the list goes on..... What I would give to have a concert video of equal caliber from any of those tours....

As with all the Tull sets, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Lots of A+ content at a very affordable price. I won't knock off any points for not giving us a blu-ray option (but I really wish they would!)

It's all you expect from this series. Same great packaging and loaded with extras and a great Steven Wilson mix. Although I just like the mix a lot without loving it as much as some of other Tulls.

Since I like others better, I'll give this one a "9"

I voted 9. Very good mix and music, great extras.

It's a 10 no question for me. My favourite Tull album. The live concert is excellent too

Another great addition to an already excellent reissue campaign. If you've enjoyed the other Tull sets, then you'll love this. SW has worked his usual magic. I won't ramble on about the mix as I think it's all been covered above, so I'll just quote Adrian Belew: "I LIKE IT!"

As for the concert footage, I have no complaints at all. Given the limitations of the source material, it's done very well. Concert footage of any band in 1977 is rare enough, so to see the band in top form at a time when they were still packing the largest venues is quite a treat. It's a killer performance. The technical challenges Jakko faced to bring the project to fruition were pretty immense, so kudos to him for pulling it off. When I think of who else was on the road that year..... Pink Floyd was touring to promote Animals, Genesis with Wind & Wuthering, Yes with Going For the One, Peter Gabriel with his first album, the list goes on..... What I would give to have a concert video of equal caliber from any of those tours....

As with all the Tull sets, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Lots of A+ content at a very affordable price. I won't knock off any points for not giving us a blu-ray option (but I really wish they would!)
saw Yes with Donovan the day Elvis died in that arena, likewise Heart an Queen in '77 there. still waiting on my box, will give review when it arrives.it will help me heal from the nightmare that was Sgt. Pepper.

10.[/QUOTE]

Listening to it just now. What interested me most when I started the DVD was that there is also a Original Quad Mix of 4 tracks on it. Little is written about it in the release, but the screen Shows an Image of the reel box. In fact loggend on to the forum to find out more, but it seems nobody mentioned it yet?
Anyway I compared Track 1 "Songs from the Woods " and both versions are completely different.
The original Quad Mix gives me the feeling I'm in the wood and surrounded by musicians and it opens up a very wide space , the Wilson Mix sounds more down to earth, a piece from a Rock band and I'm Center stage. Not sure which I like more concerning the Quad Mix , of course the sound quality and the Basses are much better in the new mix.
Anybody known more about the Original Quad mix?
What's your opinion?

Finally pressed the button and ordered this a couple weeks ago. I need a few more listening sessions before voting. This will be either a 9 or 10. Mix and SQ excellent, just not sure how accessible the music is to my tastes. So far I prefer Aqualung, but lets see where it goes....

If I calculate correctly, polling results so far have this in a number 2 slot behind DSOTM. Not bad!

My favorite Tull album (TAAB is second, then AQUALUNG, ymmv), so I was looking forward to this dearly, having those two with SW mixes already. Wow! Gave it a 9 simply because there was no blu ray, but that's petty, I know.

5.1 is a perfect sound fit for me.

Actually gets an 11 for including my name...:smokin

5.1 is a perfect sound fit for me.

Actually gets an 11 for including my name...:smokin

Cool...it's always a boost to your ego when you see your name in some CLASSIC recordings that are reissued...I got mine in a few ...and some that don't even include mine that I also did some QC....I always get amused when I see them in a store and go.."hey, I was part of this!"...

Well , this was another no brainer for me...not even the fact that it's DTS 96/24 made me take a point off...

The mix is , as usual , perfect beyond words, the extras, and MIGHTY KUDOS to Jakko (who is a genius, and although NOT very popular amongst our members, I think he has his own style of mixing that is masterful!) for the synching and mixing of the concert , which is what is called in Spain "trabajo de chinos" because it's SOOOOO labor INTENSIVE....I can't see basically ANYTHING out of synch..not even the DRUM SOLO!!!! and the mix, although, quite "safe", is very good (hey, he only had 8 tracks to work with).. ("I see that you recognize the song..Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Brick",,,btw...Ian has always DENIED doing any dr*gs but me thinks he was a BIG FAN of the marching powder judging by his FRANTIC stage behavior..even Robert Plant said so...but , then , people are misquoted or other people make things up)

And as usual, you get MORE than your money's worth with the CDS, TWO DVDs and a really nice book! (not even a booklet)..

an 11!!!!

Back