Akai crss80

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it was loose set screws, there are 2 90 degrees to each other. One sets further in than the other.

Was disappointed to find out TEAC in Montebello Ca. no longer stocks parts and allows willcalls(since no parts stocked).
Ordered belts for my 3340s and also disappointed to find out they no longer sell test tapes.

I last bought a 3 3/4 test for r2r and wound it in a TDK quad recordable shell(best shell made,I think).
Has tones from 14k to .5hz and 0/-10 db reference full track. Since tape is about 5 mins it works great even without lube backing.
Wanted extra tape and one for r2r.
I've decided to recap cr80ss and found several poor caps so far but, those IC were never really lo noise.
Haven't played quad 8s in years and wanted to get back to listening/recording quad8s.
If recapping doesn't yield improvement I will either build new circuits with op amps or reconnect to my Tascam 424.
I wanted use of 424 again and can't figure out mod to made both usable at the same time.

One of my favorite episodes of Star Trek NG was the one Beverly finds her world is disappearing.
I feel the same way, gone Radio Shack, Teac parts and numerous other things I grew to expect would always be there.

I feel any minute I might disap

The left front had 1 or both transistors that are the head preamps bad. The pinout of the NTE199 was a bit vague, end up just following
the old ones and the Niagra Falls was gone.
The ld3141 in both the R/F and L/R were randomly clicking. Also found several bad caps, actually had leaked on board.
It still could be quieter but enough for now.

my unit has just started switching tracks non stop after playing about 5 minutes...once it really warms up. I have no idea how to fix it, will probably just get another quad player. I record from q8 to quad reel, making quad 8 tracks is just not good enough anymore, especially with 7.5 ips quad reel ability.

something conductive might have shorted across switching contacts ( the side of the erase head and guide post).
Although 5 minute wait it's not as likely

Back