VLC to the rescue!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
(Dear Mods or Rockers; please feel free to move this to whichever section you think it belongs to..)

I mentioned it a few months ago but I recently found out that you CAN play DVD-As (and their DTS contents too) on a Mac and thru my receiver.

I did not follow thru when I got my system many years ago (an "old" iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and a MOTU 828 mkII) because Jon Urban said that it would not play back the contents-and , of course, him being the guru I accepted his teachings....but, I guess I was bored or felt like experimenting and found out that, using the analogs out of the MOTU, you CAN play back DVD-As and DTS-CDs..oh, and MCH FLACs...

So. I'm guessing I can back up a bunch of discs in an external drive...

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have NOT tried playing .iso files from watermarked DVD-As (for those I'd use another method that is not allowed to be posted in this section)

Here is the overall setup...(the numbers under the "Analog Out" is the corresponding one
FLACS_zps0l3ghoy7.jpg

Thanks for the post. The MOTU 828 mkII is a great multitrack recording unit. I used to own a MOTU 8 Pre which I used for multitrack recording my band a few years ago. This was an older Firewire unit. Never thought of using such a device for 5.1 playback, fortunately I have an AVR for that now. In case you're looking for other software players, Vox will play MC Flac and pretty well any other audio file format on a Mac. And like VLC, It's free.

https://vox.rocks/mac-music-player

Back