New Quad Member, Boston debut album on Quad, is it available. My first post

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quadmickey

Hi guys Mickey here in Rochester NY. I'm setting up a audio room and I'm taking the deep dive into Quad. Little about me. I'm 53 years old I restore Jukeboxes from the 1930 to 1962. I have always loved vintage electronics and now I'm going full in with doing Quad set-up with 8-track, Vinyl and Reel to Reel. So this is my first post. Boy quad equipment and the different formats can be confusing. So my question is, one of my favorite albums is Boston's debut album. Did this come out on Quad on any formatt back in the day. Also I keep seeing these half speed audiophile albums, correct me if I'm wrong but those are not Quad mastered right. Anyways looking forward to talking quad and meeting new friends

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see more young people logging in! :)

There was no official Boston quad released on tape or LP. However, this is one of those titles that have drawers full of rumors and reports of secret quad mixes existing and being "out there" somewhere.

I am sure others will chime in with that info, but I can say that there were no quad releases from Boston. The Half-Speed Mastered albums were stereo only, however confusion exists because they were pressed on "quad vinyl". :confused:

Thanks for making me feel welcome Jon I appreciate that. Well that's disappointing to say the least. Man just can't believe with all these other great artist and bands on Quad that some how Boston was not put out on Quad. Oh well I'm hoping something turns up some day even if it's not a commercial release. Maybe a bootleg quad version, here's hoping it does.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see more young people logging in! :)

There was no official Boston quad released on tape or LP. However, this is one of those titles that have drawers full of rumors and reports of secret quad mixes existing and being "out there" somewhere.

I am sure others will chime in with that info, but I can say that there were no quad releases from Boston. The Half-Speed Mastered albums were stereo only, however confusion exists because they were pressed on "quad vinyl". :confused:

Hi there, Boston is one of my favorite albums as well. There was no official release of this album at the tail end of the quad era. But a quad mix was made, and I verified that with Brad Delp in person. According to rumors, there were test SQ pressings made, but none have surfaced. Back when SACD was being pushed there was a magazine (I think it was Sound and Vision?) that claimed a remastered SACD would get released including the original quad mix, not just the stereo that was released by Sony. This never happened, and I've never seen an explanation, although Tom Scholz is a likely suspect. The next best thing is making 5.1 or quad mixes from the Rock Band extractions, I have done some and they can sound fantastic, so I'm not as fanatic about finding a unicorn SQ pressing as I once was.

Hi Dan great info to know. I tried to send you a private message don't know if you got it. Would love to start my Quad collecting career the right way. Would love to get my hands on your 5.1 Quad home brew mix. Let me know what I have to do. Check out my profile I just updated it. Full speed ahead on this Quad equipment. This community is great.

Hi there, Boston is one of my favorite albums as well. There was no official release of this album at the tail end of the quad era. But a quad mix was made, and I verified that with Brad Delp in person. According to rumors, there were test SQ pressings made, but none have surfaced. Back when SACD was being pushed there was a magazine (I think it was Sound and Vision?) that claimed a remastered SACD would get released including the original quad mix, not just the stereo that was released by Sony. This never happened, and I've never seen an explanation, although Tom Scholz is a likely suspect. The next best thing is making 5.1 or quad mixes from the Rock Band extractions, I have done some and they can sound fantastic, so I'm not as fanatic about finding a unicorn SQ pressing as I once was.

Hi guys Mickey here in Rochester NY. I'm setting up a audio room and I'm taking the deep dive into Quad. Little about me. I'm 53 years old I restore Jukeboxes from the 1930 to 1962. I have always loved vintage electronics and now I'm going full in with doing Quad set-up with 8-track, Vinyl and Reel to Reel.
Welome Mickey!

Too bad you do jukebox restore only up to 1962... Seeburg did in 1973/4 some quad jukebox, and some quadraphonic LLP were released. Technically speaking, it was a basic Hafler passive circuit to be connected after the amplifier, so nothing special about separation, but they looked cool. Nice page about that:

http://www.west.net/~jay/fmillera/fmillera/quad_decoder.htm

Greetings from the only country that in summer 1967 had jukeboxes everywhere playing "Sgt. Pepper Lonely Heart Club Band".

I have a good friend in the Chicago suburbs who worked at Seeburg for 6 years when those Quad jukeboxes
came out. He can fix any other those Jukeboxes. The one I want is the SQS3 Quad Seeburg Sunstar. I Love that jukebox, for a console one that not show the records it's a looker. I've owned over 400 Jukeboxes in the last 17 years. Never have I run across a Quad Seeburg jukebox. I still hoping to find one. The problem would be there was not a lot of quad 45rpm with the big hole in the record or the 33 1/3 mini 7 inch mini LP that you could get to fill one of those jukeboxes and play all Quad vinyl in it. Just to be clear these Seeburgs could play both types of records. 45rpm big hole vinyl records and 33 1/3 mini LP 7 inch records with the small hole. But a lot of times when you find these jukeboxes they a missing the auto speed units. So it won't be able to switch over to 33 1/3 speed to play the mini 7 inch LP. It will pick and play the record but your speed would be at 45rpm unless of course you had the auto speed unit. Also note I can do a wall box and have it play off a iPod nano. I've done many of them. So the hot set up would be to have 100 MP3's that were all in quad or 5.1 and then I could take that feed from the iPod put it into a Quad decoder or Quad amplifier and then you would have a Quad wall box that you could put coins in and make selections. So you get a iPod to wallbox adaptor and it will take the analog signal from the wallbox and then it will select the song off a click wheel iPod. From there you have 2 RCA audio plugs coming out to go into your Quad reciever. Then you would get Quad out of your Quad speakers either 4 speaker set up of 5.1 setup. Anyone want to send me 100 Quad MP3's on a couple of Dvd's I will do one. Here is an example.
Of course we would not use the internal wallbox speakers on this 1968 Rowe-Ami 200 select wallbox
Jukebox Wallbox converted in MP3, https://youtu.be/xgpNor0BHR0 or we could use a Seeburg 1950's chrome 3W-1 100 select for the project. Here is another example. https://youtu.be/sqTLIJvw8SU
I welcome comments or thoughts on this. Note this is not a offer to sell these on this site, it's to show my work off, Enjoy guys.

Mickey

Welome Mickey!

Too bad you do jukebox restore only up to 1962... Seeburg did in 1973/4 some quad jukebox, and some quadraphonic LLP were released. Technically speaking, it was a basic Hafler passive circuit to be connected after the amplifier, so nothing special about separation, but they looked cool. Nice page about that:

http://www.west.net/~jay/fmillera/fmillera/quad_decoder.htm

Greetings from the only country that in summer 1967 had jukeboxes everywhere playing "Sgt. Pepper Lonely Heart Club Band".

I have a good friend in the Chicago suburbs who worked at Seeburg for 6 years when those Quad jukeboxes
came out. He can fix any other those Jukeboxes. The one I want is the SQS3 Quad Seeburg Sunstar. I Love that jukebox, for a console one that not show the records it's a looker. I've owned over 400 Jukeboxes in the last 17 years. Never have I run across a Quad Seeburg jukebox. I still hoping to find one. The problem would be there was not a lot of quad 45rpm with the big hole in the record or the 33 1/3 mini 7 inch mini LP that you could get to fill one of those jukeboxes and play all Quad vinyl in it. Just to be clear these Seeburgs could play both types of records. 45rpm big hole vinyl records and 33 1/3 mini LP 7 inch records with the small hole. But a lot of times when you find these jukeboxes they a missing the auto speed units. So it won't be able to switch over to 33 1/3 speed to play the mini 7 inch LP. It will pick and play the record but your speed would be at 45rpm unless of course you had the auto speed unit. Also note I can do a wall box and have it play off a iPod nano. I've done many of them. So the hot set up would be to have 100 MP3's that were all in quad or 5.1 and then I could take that feed from the iPod put it into a Quad decoder or Quad amplifier and then you would have a Quad wall box that you could put coins in and make selections. So you get a iPod to wallbox adaptor and it will take the analog signal from the wallbox and then it will select the song off a click wheel iPod. From there you have 2 RCA audio plugs coming out to go into your Quad reciever. Then you would get Quad out of your Quad speakers either 4 speaker set up of 5.1 setup. Anyone want to send me 100 Quad MP3's on a couple of Dvd's I will do one. Here is an example.
Of course we would not use the internal wallbox speakers on this 1968 Rowe-Ami 200 select wallbox
Jukebox Wallbox converted in MP3, https://youtu.be/xgpNor0BHR0 or we could use a Seeburg 1950's chrome 3W-1 100 select for the project. Here is another example. https://youtu.be/sqTLIJvw8SU
I welcome comments or thoughts on this. Note this is not a offer to sell these on this site, it's to show my work off, Enjoy guys.

Mickey

Hello! I have a DS160 and some wall boxes! Haven't used it in a while though. I was the juke guy for a route with about 300 record jukes and the first CD jukes came out while I was there in the 80's. Good times. I got the DS160 because it is cool, but also to learn the model. Took a while and would have taken a lot longer but I found someone in the suburbs who graciously helped me over the phone. I think it was Doug. Wanted to do a converter between the Seeburg pulse code to newer Rowe digital control, to use the boxes in a restaurant but never found time and the place was sold. I still have some TI-2 stepper and cancel units. We were a Rowe route, mostly TI-2 and R-90 types.
I'll check out your converter. Arduino, Pi?

Good to see another jukebox person here!

-john

Good to see another jukebox person here!
-john

Good to see there is still some TLC for jukeboxes. Former owner of Rhapsody 2 160 and a NSM cd.

Since here we had the best jukebox title strip of the world, i like to collect and compile these kind of CD:

1970_3.jpg

They may be graphically restored, but the mistakes stays as they were (on this one there are some...)

Wow! that sounds fantastic! I am drooling here .... Imagine if that was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back