Thanks Thanks:  501
Likes Likes:  844

View Poll Results: Rate the BDA of The Beatles - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Great Surround, Great Content, Great Fidelity

27 28.13%
  • 9:

32 33.33%
  • 8:

21 21.88%
  • 7:

6 6.25%
  • 6:

5 5.21%
  • 5:

1 1.04%
  • 4:

2 2.08%
  • 3:

2 2.08%
  • 2:

0 0%
  • 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

0 0%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Beatles, The - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [BluRay]

600 Club - QQ All Star sukothai's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beatles, The - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [BluRay]

Of course this album is a classic, but I was tired of it years ago and I was hoping a new surround mix would revive my original excitement from when I first heard it. It didn't and my score reflects my disappointment. I adjusted the levels and really tried to find that original joy - it never came.

Better surround mixes have spoiled me.

2. Likes fredblue, colsky, JediJoker, oxenholme liked this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sukothai View Post
    Of course this album is a classic, but I was tired of it years ago and I was hoping a new surround mix would revive my original excitement from when I first heard it. It didn't and my score reflects my disappointment. I adjusted the levels and really tried to find that original joy - it never came.

Ahhh..expectations will f*ck with you every time...that's why I've tried to not have high hopes for many things...

Funnily enough, I am a HUGE FAN of "Wild MCH mixes" and I find this one is VERY GOOD...of course, like I say, we would ALL have done things differently to our own liking...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sukothai View Post
    I think a lot of expectations for this one were set by the Love DVD-A and the Yellow Submarine BD-V. We know how the album could have been mixed differently.
    Multichannel FLAC downloads and more:
    https://surroundmusic.one
    hi-res 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 & 5.1 available!

Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave it a 7. I posted this in what now appears to have been the wrong thread, so I'll put it here as well...

Well, a good friend invited me over to hear this. I really see this mix as a missed opportunity, which is quite disappointing given the wonderful job I thought they did on the "Love" surround mix. In particular, LSD and Mr Kite were very underwhelming. Given the work that Giles had already done cutting apart the Lucy track, I totally expected a psychedelic treatment where the notes were floating around the room randomly like colored dots in front of your eyes when the Mescaline kicks in (or so I've heard). In the same way, when Henry the Horse starts dancing, I felt it would have been entirely appropriate to center the organ but have the effects spinning around you in a dizzying manner, the way the organ on a carousel would remain stationary as you ride, but all of the sounds from outside would be spinning as the ride twirls. "Day in the Life" was nice, but pedestrian. A treatment completely not befitting that song. Only two songs actually benefited from the surround mix in my estimation. The separation given the small ensemble in "When I'm Sixty-Four" gave an interesting freshness to that tune (not one of my favorites on the album) and "Penny Lane" was literally the only mix that had me hearing things I hadn't before. Again, the fact that the whole album didn't do this is a wasted opportunity.

I've yet to even mention the most egregious blunder of all. The LFE channel is an awful mess. For starters, it is entirely too loud. My friend had to turn his sub down twice just to get it to "play nicely" with the other channels. Once that was accomplished, it was horrible "flubby" and indistinct. Plus, it seemed to only carry far too much of Paul's bass fundamental but I heard little to none of the kick drum fundamental. It's really all but inexcusable IMHO.

In a way, this is probably appropriate for a 50th Anniversary release. For fifty years I've heard about how the mono was the go to mix and the stereo was an afterthought. With this release it seems that the stereo is finally the go to mix and the surround was treated as an afterthought.

6. Thanks ar surround, Plan9, Snood, tedhead thanked for this post
    Likes ar surround, Snood liked this post
    500 Club - QQ All Star ar surround's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I listened to this the other night after not playing it for quite some time. Despite the underwhelming multi-channel mix, the thing that bothers me is amount of compression. I actually found listening to it a bit tiresome this time around. Perhaps I will need to dink with the LFE channel. You know, it is funny how quickly one becomes used to a new and better sounding recording of an old favorite. Once the new recording becomes the norm it becomes subject to nit picking for sonic flaws.

8. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes j9, JediJoker, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted 7. Kind of a weak 7. The mix has been discussed to death. It is stronger, IMO, if you lower the fronts by 2 or 3 db.
    This is mastered pretty freakin' loud, so I wouldn't raise the rears.
    Anyhow, other than blasting this record on my friend's hi-fi in mono, this is a good as this album gets for me.
    It's such a great and important album that I'm glad I have a weak 7 for surround, rather than nothing at all.
    Multichannel FLAC downloads and more:
    https://surroundmusic.one
    hi-res 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 & 5.1 available!

10. Thanks Clint Eastwood, skherbeck, Snood thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted a 9. Loved the sound and the extras that are included were excellent IMHO.

12. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

After a revisit around 6 months of listening I would just bump my original vote down 1 to a 9. This iconic album sounds great on my 7.2 Yamaha system (prefer Dolby True HD over DTS Master) it has the surround backs in a front height position. Haven't listened to it on the Integra Atmos system 5.1.2 yet ?
    Smoke em if you got em.....DVD-AUDIO-47; SACD-34; Blu-Ray-46; Blu-Ray-3D-80, & counting

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ChristopherLees's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish Steve Wilson had played with these tapes in his own studio..so many blunders here its annoying....the mix here needs help in the rears and the sound quality throughout has rolled top end..even my mono lp pressing from 1967 has more extended highs than any 5.1, stereo or mono mix from this collection..at least lovely rita is an improvement on the rather strange original stereo mix we've always had...other than that the whole new set bored me with the dullness..maybe Giles Martin will get it right one day..I wonder if he's ever heard a cymbal...I can get all my old sgt pepper lp's( mono and stereo) to sound like this if I throw a blanket over the speakers...

15. Likes seremetcc liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLees View Post
    I wish Steve Wilson had played with these tapes in his own studio..so many blunders here its annoying....the mix here needs help in the rears and the sound quality throughout has rolled top end..even my mono lp pressing from 1967 has more extended highs than any 5.1, stereo or mono mix from this collection..at least lovely rita is an improvement on the rather strange original stereo mix we've always had...other than that the whole new set bored me with the dullness..maybe Giles Martin will get it right one day..I wonder if he's ever heard a cymbal...I can get all my old sgt pepper lp's( mono and stereo) to sound like this if I throw a blanket over the speakers...
    How does the mono version in the box sound to you? This is the only version I have.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ChristopherLees's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seremetcc View Post
    How does the mono version in the box sound to you? This is the only version I have.
    original mono has decent top end.....new mono is rolled...even the vinyl box sets of a few years ago were rolled top end compared to virtually anything analogue from the 60's and 70's on vinyl...could be an abbey rd problem i guess maybe something in their chain is screwing things up...but ultimately it's just boring the way it is sounding these days...compared to what was previously done.

18. Thanks seremetcc thanked for this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLees View Post
    original mono has decent top end.....new mono is rolled...even the vinyl box sets of a few years ago were rolled top end compared to virtually anything analogue from the 60's and 70's on vinyl...could be an abbey rd problem i guess maybe something in their chain is screwing things up...but ultimately it's just boring the way it is sounding these days...compared to what was previously done.
    you may be forgetting a very important factor...AGE!!!!!

It has been 50 years and it's a minor miracle we can still play those...of course you all know, EVERY TIME it gets played, a Baby Unicorn dies ...no, wait , that was fredblue's post...so , of course it's not gonna sound nearly as goods as it did FIFTY (count'em , fifty) yeas ago...
    And you'll be DAMN lucky to get a "barely played" mono LP ...especially a UK version....The Beatles GOT PLAYED...it was THE group back then ....and still is!..I have a Mono Wide Spine one, which looks good , but when played, you can tell it was played with a bad needle ;( ...it still sounds great , but...oh, maaaaannn!!!!

Crank up the treble!!!!
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

20. Thanks Clint Eastwood, OdysseyMusik thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, OdysseyMusik, GOS, Snood liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910