HiRez Poll Beatles, The - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

• Total voters
I get what you are saying, but the problem is the ratings are suggested to be based on "Surround," "Content" and "Fidelity" with no option to add points because it was an early recording. Using these guidelines, the best I can give this is a 7: Content:3 Fidelity:3 Surround:1. I might bump it up to 8 with the extra point available from the 10 possible, but right now I'm inclined to leave it at 7 since I usually reserve the extra point for extraordinary surround mixes.

Another way to look at it if you want to compare apples to apples, is to compare this to "Love." I think everyone would agree the "Love" surround mix is at least a couple points better than "Sgt. Pepper"; so at best "Sgt. Pepper" is an 8.

Of course this rating system is just a suggestion, but it helps me give more meaningful ratings. I have to force myself to some sort of disciplined rating system so that I don't end up giving everything a 10.

I think a 7 is a very fair rating.

Hey y'all! :smokin

The content/surround/fidelity is a guideline, it's not a hard code. It's just a way to keep everyone on sorta the same level. If you feel strongly one way or the other, say the content is 50%, and the rest of the stuff less, than that's your choice. We all feel strongly one way or another, and something can sound great and have super surround, but if you don't like it, you're not going to give it a 10.

The origin of the original HiRez Poll's was to let members choose their favorite releases. The "rules" were a suggestion, not enforceable structure.

I mean, really, can someone rate a Steven Wilson solo album a '1'? You can hate the music but you can't say it sounds horrible and it has a shitty surround mix. Still, you may just not like the content. Does that make it a '1'. I don't think so, but you could really hate it and unless a vote is made maliciously (as a past incident) your vote will stand. We have the 'outlier' factor created by Cai Campbell that will balance out the 1 or two out of range votes when the polls are created.

So please, if you think a title is bad, vote your heart. If you think it's great, do the same. Do not vote because someone else thinks a title is the greatest because all opinions count. Whether we agree is totally a personal preference. And it's really not our jobs to change anyone's mind, because that is IMPOSSIBLE on the internet.

You all know that! ;)

Well said Jon and thanks. Although I've not yet received mine, I'd also like to see a poll on the stereo re-mix and its Surround Master upmix. I'm somewhat more interested in the stereo re-mix than the 5.1 just now, but can't wait to hear all.

John R

The content/surround/fidelity is a guideline, it's not a hard code. It's just a way to keep everyone on sorta the same level. If you feel strongly one way or the other, say the content is 50%, and the rest of the stuff less, than that's your choice. We all feel strongly one way or another, and something can sound great and have super surround, but if you don't like it, you're not going to give it a 10.

The origin of the original HiRez Poll's was to let members choose their favorite releases. The "rules" were a suggestion, not enforceable structure.

I mean, really, can someone rate a Steven Wilson solo album a '1'? You can hate the music but you can't say it sounds horrible and it has a shitty surround mix. Still, you may just not like the content. Does that make it a '1'. I don't think so, but you could really hate it and unless a vote is made maliciously (as a past incident) your vote will stand. We have the 'outlier' factor created by Cai Campbell that will balance out the 1 or two out of range votes when the polls are created.

So please, if you think a title is bad, vote your heart. If you think it's great, do the same. Do not vote because someone else thinks a title is the greatest because all opinions count. Whether we agree is totally a personal preference. And it's really not our jobs to change anyone's mind, because that is IMPOSSIBLE on the internet.

You all know that! ;)

I think in the "big scheme of things", as long as we're all consistent with our individual rating systems (however much they may deviate from the "guidelines"), every album will eventually fall into it's correct place in the polls:)

You all know that! ;)

Well said Jon and thank you for your efforts here. I learned a long time ago to ignore the user reviews of anything that are way too glowing or way to destructive. There are always people with a problem and they think that everyone on the Internet hangs on their every word. I just ignore the highs and the lows and read the reviews in the middle to find the truth.

You all know that! ;)

That's why I started utilizing my own system of giving each piece of criteria (content, surround mix, and fidelity) a maximum of three points, and since that only adds up to 9 points, the final point is a binary point (either '1' or '0') simply on the basis of what format the release falls under.
If it's a high-res format (like Blu-Ray, DVDA-V, or SACD) it gets the extra point, and if it's anything else, it doesn't.

So, with that being said, how do I breakdown my 'Pepper' vote?

Content: 3/3 (It's the f*cking Beatles "Sgt Pepper" after all) ;)
Surround Mix: Really a 2.5/3 cause there are a few songs that have extremely underwhelming mixes, but I round up because there's so many others where I would not change much at all.
Fidelity: 3/3 (I almost didn't want to go this high at first cause I thought there were some moments that were over compressed/limited, but after a few more listens, that impression completely went away.)
High-Res Disc: 1/1

So like I said before, it's a 10, and you'll really be missing out if you don't get this box set as soon as you can!
(Don't sit around waiting for a single Blu-Ray release, cause I'm 97% certain it will never happen!)

:)

I'm quite surprised how effective raising the volume of the surround channels elevates this mix to a pretty good surround mix. I still think Giles could have been just a little more adventurous in places, I'm especially at a loss as to why the aaaahs in ADITL don't pan around, the original stereo mix did this for God's sake. For my goto versions I raised the back channels 3-5dB. I also used spectral editing to move the alarm clock to the back channels. I rated the surround mix a 7 before, but now a 9 with the tweaking(y).

The presentation of the package is SUPERB.

I will find some jewel cases for the Blu-ray and the outtakes CDs.

Then it will all be put back in the cardboard box in which it arrived and kept in pristine condition.

I remember receiving that box set of The Doors albums on DVD-Audio, excitedly putting on my favourite Strange Days disc, and wondering what in hell was supposed to be happening in the rear speakers.

Sgt Pepper and Fixing A Hole have got sod all happening in the rears. Oh, and the authoring is not what it might be. When I'm Sixty-four is a bit better. Not keen on the other tracks, but some of them seemed to have action behind.

I cannot abide Strawberry Fields. Annoyingly it seems to have the best mix. Penny Lane isn't too bad either.

Now I will have to find out how to whack up the level in the rear speakers by a few decibels and see if that helps.

It's highly unlikely to be a 10.

The sound quality on the Love project was great, but this Sgt. Pepper release is much better. A new level of clarity.

Many have opined that the 5.1 mix should be more discrete. I understand that view, in a perfect world perhaps it could/should have been. I suspect this is as good as it gets given source constraints and other considerations.

To me this mix adds a sense of space and instrumental separation that fits the music well. I agree with many that adding 2-3 dB to the rear channels is worth trying.

My only gripe - the Bluray menu system. It's always blurting "With a Little Help From My Friends" when I'm not actively playing a track. I'd prefer silence until I decide what I want to listen to.

Overall the package is extremely satisfying, I'll give it a 10.

Many have opined that the 5.1 mix should be more discrete. I understand that view, in a perfect world perhaps it could/should have been. I suspect this is as good as it gets given source constraints and other considerations.

History has shown that very discrete mixes are perfectly possible. They are on the DVD Anthology and on the Yellow Submarine DVD. I don't think that there are any source constraints.

I'm quite surprised how effective raising the volume of the surround channels elevates this mix to a pretty good surround mix. I still think Giles could have been just a little more adventurous in places, I'm especially at a loss as to why the aaaahs in ADITL don't pan around, the original stereo mix did this for God's sake. For my goto versions I raised the back channels 3-5dB. I also used spectral editing to move the alarm clock to the back channels. I rated the surround mix a 7 before, but now a 9 with the tweaking(y).

That alarm clock DESERVES to be in one of the back channels, by itself. (y)

That alarm clock DESERVES to be in one of the back channels, by itself. (y)

Well, Jon, it was a choice of either the rooster or the alarm clock....and Cock~a~doodle~doo won out!:ugham:

If you want alarm clocks in the rears, I suggest you play DSOTM...either the Guthrie or Parsons remixes!:yikes

I tossed on the blu-ray (MCH) tonight and cranked it (after raising the rears +3db). It sounds really good, better than I expected. The clarity is breathtaking, I'm hearing things that like someone else pointed out, were muddled in previous stereo mixes...now all the instruments are standing out on their own. Lots of air and the fronts/center sound big & expansive, filling the room. There's discrete elements blended in the fronts and in the rears. Like others, I was hoping for a wild ride of a mix, but this works very well.

Raising the volume on the rears definitely helped immensely. I head-banged, tapped my feet and swayed side-to-side, a sign I enjoyed this mix and I'm looking forward to listening to it on repeat.

The only quirk I noticed (and maybe it has to do with my Oppo BDP-103) is that when I skipped a track the first split second appears to cut off. Anyone else experience this?

Rated it a 9.

Wanted to give 7 points. Went with 8 after lowering the fronts by 2db (3db was a bit too much and made the whole mix too messy for my taste).

Winners: "A Day in the Life", "Good Morning, Good Morning", "Within You Without You" and of course that double A-side.

Still not my favourite Beatles album by any stretch. Nice to have. The box arrived one day before the Kraftwerk set which makes the included book stand out even more. Half the pages but multiple times more enlightening. Really well done.

This disc isn't for me. I just don't get on with the way Giles and Sam do things.

I am not interested in having to mess around with whacking up the rear channels. There is far too much up front for my liking. I don't see the point of putting a load of stuff into the centre speaker. It doesn't change the overall impact significantly. It isn't used at all in 2 channel stereo.

I listened to 3 of my favourite 5.1 discs (Shangri La, Matt's Mood, The Stranger) and then went back to Sgt Pepper. No thank you.

It's gone upstairs to gather dust with Endless River, Rattle That Lock, and the other failures.

well..I only had to have one listen to this to vote....
after reading about boosting the rears, YES, you'll get the best results, but , then...I basically change the levels on EVERY disc I play because ...what I have said endless times..everybody's perception/gear/etc. is different...what will sound perfect for SW or ES , will need some tweaking on your system because you are not them and you don't have their gear/setup....

That having been said; Giles and co. played it very safe but very nicely...the bass is round and great; they "respected" the mono version..UP TO A POINT; and it's a great MCH experience...

boys and girls, we got Sgt. Pepper's IN MCH!!!!
HOLY SHEEEEIT!!!!
Is this a WET DREAM COME TRUE OR WHAT????

Now...I loved mostly everything...the rears get a workout (and PLEASE keep in mind that Lennon RECORDED his vocals WITH the FX all the time, so , that is why you don't get him in the rears!) and it's "a splendid time is guaranteed for all"...

now, my -1 point:
- we don't get Paul's "Thank you very much...(whatever he says)" in Sgt Pepper's Reprise nearly as loud as the Mono -nor the extra guitars , and there were some main things missing (sitar, maybe?) in SFF
AAAAAANNNNNND
they committed the ULTIMATE sin...(have they NOT learned??)
NO (EDIT:..F*CKING)
MUSIC
IN
THE

MENU!!!!

Now, bring on the White album and the rest!!!

BTW, love the book!

..where are my marbles ;) ???

Last edited:
This disc isn't for me. I just don't get on with the way Giles and Sam do things.

I am not interested in having to mess around with whacking up the rear channels. There is far too much up front for my liking. I don't see the point of putting a load of stuff into the centre speaker. It doesn't change the overall impact significantly. It isn't used at all in 2 channel stereo.

I listened to 3 of my favourite 5.1 discs (Shangri La, Matt's Mood, The Stranger) and then went back to Sgt Pepper. No thank you.

It's gone upstairs to gather dust with Endless River, Rattle That Lock, and the other failures.

sorry to go (v.briefly, I promise) on a tangent in a QQ Poll but seeing as you mentioned it and nobody online in surround circles ever does, that Matt Bianco SACD is exemplary in Surround imho and I agree makes this Sgt. Pepper 5.1 sound rather underwhelming by comparison, to members here who haven't heard it yet, I urge you to track it down, its great! apologies, back to Poll business! :upthumb

Back