HiRez Poll Pete Cater Big Band - UPSWING! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of the Pete Cater Big Band - UPSWING!

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
just refreshing the ears/memory, this disc in Surround (never played the Stereo, I will try just for the hell of it sometime :eek: ) has a lively in-room feel, it sounds great.

the surround mix fits the mood with lead instruments (naturally the drums are very much upfront in the mix) right up in the Front L&R channels and only subtly bled through to the back which stops things getting too dry and keeps it full of gusto on the uptempo stuff and suitably atmospheric on the more sultry numbers. if there's anything going on in the Centre and/or Sub I couldn't tell (maybe it's just that cohesive a mix? although I couldn't resist walking upto each speaker a few times.. I know, its crazy isn't it.. and it didn't seem like they were doing much if anything.. maybe its a 4-channel mix? i dunno.. I'd need to run it thru the computer to tell exactly what each channel is doing I'm just going on what I'm hearing in the room at this time.. I'm trying to have a holiday from doing this surround stuff on the computer tbh its kinda.. life-sapping.. haha!) it doesn't clobber you over the head with whizzy effects and wild panning (which I love with the right kinda material, don't get me wrong) here its classy, much like the music.

tbh I hadn't played this in a while (no big reason there's just been so much new stuff in the years since I got it I guess I forgot about it!?) but thanks to Ryan creating a new QQ Poll for the disc now prompted me to give it an airing and even though its not a discrete crash bang wallop surround affair like Dutton Vocalion's more recent Surround SACDs of remastered Quads, I know I'll be enjoying this one in Surround over the Summer along with all the other goodies we've got to come.

if the weather's kind I'll fling the french doors open and with a warm breeze blowing thru the room and a G&T in hand, with some fabulous musicianship and a brilliantly engineered recording from this disc as part of the background music, roll on Summer.. cool man, cool..! :smokin

thanks BK, its not gonna set the world on fire from a surround pov but it sounds nice and musically cool.
who would've guessed all these years down the line from this release, Dutton Vocalion would come to be synonymous with superior surround music, they're my heroes!! :love:

OT: right now i'm miffed to discover yet more inexplicably disappearing imgur images... grr..!!! o_O

Back