Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (Japan BluRay Box)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure you have the system hooked up properly? That just doesn't sound right. Try playing a test disc if you have one and make sure all the channels are properly oriented. What player are you using?
Well I have been a union electrician since 1966, and I have been an audiophile since 1967 so I am pretty sure I can hook up a receiver. The system will automatically correct phase errors in the speakers but there are none since I did a killer job of wiring the speakers. All my speakers are properly oriented. Kind of hard to screw it up. There are hundreds of different speakers, hundreds of different surround systems and a whole vast array of different listening environments so they won't all be identical.

I'm getting really close to purchasing the Japanese version of this deluxe box. What I think I'm going to do with the original box that I already purchased and still haven't opened is take out the Blu-ray disc and sell the rest of the original box. That way, I can keep the Japanese box sealed. Or, my alternative is to send back the original deluxe box.

I'm getting really close to purchasing the Japanese version of this deluxe box. What I think I'm going to do with the original box that I already purchased and still haven't opened is take out the Blu-ray disc and sell the rest of the original box. That way, I can keep the Japanese box sealed. Or, my alternative is to send back the original deluxe box.
It comes with two copies of the surround stuff so if you remove one the set will basically still be complete. Advertise it on that other forum and it won't last long.

It comes with two copies of the surround stuff so if you remove one the set will basically still be complete. Advertise it on that other forum and it won't last long.

Basically, yes but does the DVD contain the documentary making of too? I heard it doesn't or is missing something the BD contains, besides lossy versus lossless.

Basically, yes but does the DVD contain the documentary making of too? I heard it doesn't or is missing something the BD contains, besides lossy versus lossless.

I did not compare the contents of the two discs. I could not hear any difference between the two. But if you can then sell the lossy one.

very interesting that literally every single person hears something different on this mix

I still think it's the way it was encoded and the way everyone's different receivers are decoding it.

I've read other reviews where they say the Dolby TrueHD defaults to EX.

It's almost like Giles made a mistake and encoded as Dolby TrueHD 6.1. Who does that now days? I mean I own 6.1 mixes from like 10 years ago (when they were a new technology, phenomenon) but have not run across one in the last 5 years. It's either 5.1 or 7.1

I think the incorrect encoding is confusing everyone's receiver and everyone's receiver is handling it a different way.
1. Is there even such a thing as TrueHD 6.1? Dolby EX had single back\rear channel that was a matrix of the surrounds. DTS had a discrete 6.1 version, ES(?) but both of those are pretty old codecs.
2. I would highly doubt that beyond working with the digital music files, Giles Martin did anything else involved with the encoding\authoring of the disc.

the Dolby Digital 5.1 on the DVD is 48 kHz and the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 on the Blu-ray is 96 kHz, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

very interesting that literally every single person hears something different on this mix

I still think it's the way it was encoded and the way everyone's different receivers are decoding it.

I've read other reviews where they say the Dolby TrueHD defaults to EX.

It's almost like Giles made a mistake and encoded as Dolby TrueHD 6.1. Who does that now days? I mean I own 6.1 mixes from like 10 years ago (when they were a new technology, phenomenon) but have not run across one in the last 5 years. It's either 5.1 or 7.1

I think the incorrect encoding is confusing everyone's receiver and everyone's receiver is handling it a different way.

I just used AudioMuxer to look at the MKV I extracted from the Blu-ray. The lossless Dolby track shows as standard 5.1 while the core lossy AC-3 shows as EX.
Pepper.jpg

I just used AudioMuxer to look at the MKV I extracted from the Blu-ray. The lossless Dolby track shows as standard 5.1 while the core lossy AC-3 shows as EX.

Even more interesting, the FLAC fingerprint of the 5.1 extracted from the DTS HD-MA track is not the same as the extraction from the Dolby TrueHD track. That suggests that there really is a difference between the two. Having said that, I've never performed this experiment with any other title that includes both lossless codecs. I would EXPECT identical input to create identical FLACs, but I was hired for my looks and not my brain. I could be missing something obvious.

Even more interesting, the FLAC fingerprint of the 5.1 extracted from the DTS HD-MA track is not the same as the extraction from the Dolby TrueHD track. That suggests that there really is a difference between the two. Having said that, I've never performed this experiment with any other title that includes both lossless codecs. I would EXPECT identical input to create identical FLACs, but I was hired for my looks and not my brain. I could be missing something obvious.

Seems unlikely there are two different surround mixes. Are the differences just volume levels? Did you compare wave forms?

Seems unlikely there are two different surround mixes. Are the differences just volume levels? Did you compare wave forms?

I didn't do anything at all beyond extracting and comparing fingerprints...but you've given me an idea...pulling up both files in Foobar2000 I see that the 5.1 from DTS-HD MA runs 396:44.512 while the Dolby TrueHD is 39:44.515. That alone would explain the fingerprint difference. As for volume, ReplayGain calculates the same adjustment and peak for both files.

I didn't do anything at all beyond extracting and comparing fingerprints...but you've given me an idea...pulling up both files in Foobar2000 I see that the 5.1 from DTS-HD MA runs 396:44.512 while the Dolby TrueHD is 39:44.515. That alone would explain the fingerprint difference. As for volume, ReplayGain calculates the same adjustment and peak for both files.

Uhhh...that's 39:44.512, not 396:44.512!

Back