Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (Japan BluRay Box)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I figured I'd create a new thread to cover the Japanese release of this Sgt. Pepper Box. Why? Because I can! ;)

So if you have the Japanese box and want to comment on it, or if you don't but still wish to comment on it, this is the thread for that.
I haven't opened mine yet. I am pondering that decision. Stay tuned.

Anyway, here's a peek as my box from Amazon.jp showed up and was opened. I was packed very well. Not quite CDJapan standards, but it arrived in perfect shape, shipped via DHL

IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG

Awesome idea, Jon.
Mine is out for delivery today.
C'mon DHL! Go, Go, Go dammit.

Edit1:
3PM DHL just arrived.
Externally the box is in perfect shape. No crushed corners etc. :banana:
Just as I hoped, the packaging is top drawer Japanese quality.
I can't compare to the US or UK as I don't have those.

FYI, for those ordering from Amazon JP & delivery by DHL, a signature is required.

I put off running an errand and got back exactly 10 minutes before the delivery. Whew!

Edit2:
The outer plastic surrounding the box is not shrink wrap but a heavy plastic re-sealable jacket. Like the after market jackets for jewel boxes & digi-packs
The set has a huge thick booklet I guess you'd call it with what look like extensive notes about each track on all of the discs.
The bummer is that except for the track titles, it's all in Japanese. No multi-language at all. Oh well.

Last edited:
No other comments? How many others went for this version?
I am still contemplating opening mine. :yikes

Sure looks nice sitting there though. However, I got the old wife logic "Why did you buy 2 of these? Is one bad?" :rolleyes:

No other comments? How many others went for this version?
I am still contemplating opening mine. :yikes

Sure looks nice sitting there though. However, I got the old wife logic "Why did you buy 2 of these? Is one bad?" :rolleyes:

My wife doesn't even realize I bought 2. :) :yikes

Hi Jon, Great idea having this page but I am off to Hawaii and will unplug. Unfortunately I didn't have time to listen to the 5.1 but will when I get back. Love the Japanese box, it is always nice to get anything from CDJapan as it all gets delivered in such pristine condition. I ordered two, one accidentally, and like you all my wife doesn't know, she doesn't like me spending her retirement. Having the separate back box cover and the inner white track sheet in Japanese is cool but i always wonder what they say. I think they are good liner notes, but who knows, obviously some is lyrics. They always send a survey and in the comments box I have frequently suggested they include English along side the Japanese writing but I don't think there listening.

I would love to know if there is a difference in sound between the CD's with the original version and the Japanese version from people that have both. This is in reference to the Japan SHM-CD. Also, is there a mastering difference between the two as far as compression, which I doubt.

I am back from 10 days on the Big Island, Hawaii. I was able to listen to the 4 CD's before I left but not the 5.1's. Listening to the Blu Ray now, so very cool, life is complete.

I am back from 10 days on the Big Island, Hawaii. I was able to listen to the 4 CD's before I left but not the 5.1's. Listening to the Blu Ray now, so very cool, life is complete.

Do you have 7.1? If so, try the Dolby True HD mix. It is said it sends surround info to the rears, similar to boosting the rears, which some of us have done manually.

I would love to know if there is a difference in sound between the CD's with the original version and the Japanese version from people that have both. This is in reference to the Japan SHM-CD. Also, is there a mastering difference between the two as far as compression, which I doubt.
You will have to visit that other forum where they have very vivid imagination about differences.

Do you have 7.1? If so, try the Dolby True HD mix. It is said it sends surround info to the rears, similar to boosting the rears, which some of us have done manually.
I have a 7.1 system and the rears are virtually silent on either DTS or Dolby. And I have my rears and surrounds all boosted. I keep them boosted because the rears are too quiet on just about every surround disc I have.

I have a 7.1 system and the rears are virtually silent on either DTS or Dolby. And I have my rears and surrounds all boosted. I keep them boosted because the rears are too quiet on just about every surround disc I have.

crank down the center, I mean like -1 to -3 dB, especially on Within You Without You and see if you get the same experience.

Also, on my receiver the Dolby TrueHD 6.1 defaulted to Dolby Pro Logic IIx (PLIIx)

Well, I guess I am lucky, no need whatsoever to boost rears. I find the mix fantastic, very powerful and strong. There is definitely a difference with the two 5.1 versions the Dolby being a little softer and the HD being a stronger version. I did like both versions. Watching the last video, Penny Lane now, all quite fun. All anyone needs to understand is in the making of video, where George Martin, breaks down every song with the 4 tracks, brilliant. I have read every thread fo a month and I am keeping it very simple, this entire box set is perfect. I feel strongly that the Japanese version is superior and the SHM CD's are not 16/44.1 hogwash , but rather a clarity that is appreciated with critical listening.

very interesting that literally every single person hears something different on this mix

I still think it's the way it was encoded and the way everyone's different receivers are decoding it.

I've read other reviews where they say the Dolby TrueHD defaults to EX.

It's almost like Giles made a mistake and encoded as Dolby TrueHD 6.1. Who does that now days? I mean I own 6.1 mixes from like 10 years ago (when they were a new technology, phenomenon) but have not run across one in the last 5 years. It's either 5.1 or 7.1

I think the incorrect encoding is confusing everyone's receiver and everyone's receiver is handling it a different way.

Just opened my Japanese box set and inside the cardboard box is some green thing rolled up. Looks like a small roman candle. The sticker on the outside says TOKUTEN-3505. Don't know whether to open it or smoke it. Does anyone know what it is before I attempt to unroll it. Looks very fragile. May be a poster inside.

Just opened my Japanese box set and inside the cardboard box is some green thing rolled up. Looks like a small roman candle. The sticker on the outside says TOKUTEN-3505. Don't know whether to open it or smoke it. Does anyone know what it is before I attempt to unroll it. Looks very fragile. May be a poster inside.
That is an extra poster with the Japanese edition and you will also have the Japanese edition cut and fold diorama.

That is an extra poster with the Japanese edition and you will also have the Japanese edition cut and fold diorama.
Thanks. That's what I thought it was but just wanted confirmation before unrolling it. It's rolled up so special that once it's open I will probably never get it back the same way.

Are you sure you have the system hooked up properly? That just doesn't sound right. Try playing a test disc if you have one and make sure all the channels are properly oriented. What player are you using?

Back