Where Are The Multichannel DSD Downloads?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Sure.

This is the reason the next generation have gone to the likes of Spotify I guess..

Dug their own graves with this sort of nonsense with "discs".....

Go Figure.. :mad:@:

Those download sites are 'crapshoots' as well because you never know exactly what resolution [or master source] they're utilizing for these downloads. It may sound good but is it really exactly what you paid for?

My philosophy: you can live 10 lifetimes and NEVER quite figure out the music business. Sometimes I think they don't even know what the hell they're doing........Way too many hands in THAT pot! And Waaaayyyyy too much GREED:yikes

Those download sites are 'crapshoots' as well because you never know exactly what resolution [or master source] they're utilizing for these downloads. It may sound good but is it really exactly what you paid for?

Yep.

Have a 5.1 DSD capable set up right now Exasound (E28) with Audirvana Plus.
Accoustic Sounds have a download store selling Hi Rez tracks including DSD tracks right now..

So if this "theory" is so true - about them being all so "open" and modern and all - and always wanting to sell to meet "the market" without letting the secondary market gouge em.. what's stopping Accoustic Sounds selling em as a download?

Yep.

Have a 5.1 DSD capable set up right now Exasound (E28) with Audirvana Plus.
Accoustic Sounds have a download store selling Hi Rez tracks including DSD tracks right now..

So if they are all so "open" and modern and all and always want to sell to "the market" without letting the secondary market gouge em.. what's stopping Accoustic Sounds selling em as a download?

Although I'm NOT into downloads at present, I can pretty much verify that Acoustic Sounds offers QUALITY downloads at the advertised resolutions but even they're limited to what they can and cannot offer. I've heard pros and cons regarding HDtracks but my biggest problem comes from the fact if you're disappointed [or disgusted] by the quality of the download....can you get a refund....or a credit without a MAJOR hassle?

And who knows what's going to happen when the Majors get into downloading full time. Are we still going to get compressed downloads at questionable resolutions, etc.? My guess: MOST probably YES........and THEY control the masters.

Although I'm NOT into downloads at present, I can pretty much verify that Acoustic Sounds offers QUALITY downloads at the advertised resolutions but even they're limited to what they can and cannot offer. I've heard pros and cons regarding HDtracks but my biggest problem comes from the fact if you're disappointed [or disgusted] by the quality of the download....can you get a refund....or a credit without a MAJOR hassle?
Sure you can.

A digital file is just a file.. whether it's on a CD, SACD in a box set.. it's just a series of 1's and zeros.. the file doesn't know or care if it's on the disc or a cloud server somewhere.

Once the download is done and the two ends have checked the 1's and zeros are complete it is exactly the same file..

So what is the "excuse" for Accoustic Sounds not offering the WYWH 5.1 DSD files in this format as well??

NONE IMHO.. there is ZERO excuse for Accoustic Sounds for not offering the files this way IMHO..

I want to pay for them. I want the files. They clearly have them. Why wont they sell them to me?

Although I'm NOT into downloads at present, I can pretty much verify that Acoustic Sounds offers QUALITY downloads at the advertised resolutions but even they're limited to what they can and cannot offer.

So yes.. with this statement we *are* getting to the bottom of it..

YES there *is* gouging going on.. clearly. KBOOM proven!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&CategoryID=394 Here is a link to the currently available DSD 5.1 AS downloads.. So KBOOM.. they can do it alright. It's a proven format. These are in their store right now.. So all this other "talk" why they can't release them is cr@p IMHO "oh we can't Do another run because we don't know the market" etc etc? I say HUMBUG! This IMHO is just an excuse and is clearly utter nonsense.. What is the price of just putting the tracks on their website for download and just have em sitting there?? Peanuts! They are clearly capable of doing it. So why not WYWH as well????

Those download sites are 'crap shoots' as well because you never know exactly what resolution [or master source] they're utilizing for these downloads.

It depends on the music download source (record label) and download site.
When you visit Blue Coast Music and NativeDSD they both offer good information on the source of the downloads.

Perhaps not surprising since each download site is owned and operated by a independent record company producer and recording engineer.

Examples:

Sibelius Piano Trios (DSD 256 Stereo and DSD 256 Surround Recording and Download)

Cables:
Power cords for our most sensitive analog equipment were made for us personally by Gary Koh from Genesis Advanced Technologies. Digital components used power cords from Aural Symphonics

Digital Converters: Merging Technologies (Hapi for stereo and SonoruS Holographic Imaging, and Horus for 5.0 Surround Sound) and Merging Technologies Pyramix software
Editing Software: Pyramix
Mastering Engineer: Bob Attiyeh
Microphones: AKG C-24 for stereo, and 2 additional Schoeps M222 mics for SonoruS Holographic Imaging mixes. Four DPA 4006A mics and one 4041 mic for 5.0 Surround Sound.

Notes:
We recorded the stereo version of both volumes of Sibelius Piano Trio using an AKG C-24 stereo microphone from Ancona Audio, with a special new-old-stock RCA 6072 vacuum tube in it supplied and calibrated by David Bock, Yarlung’s microphone technician. We chose an Elliot Midwood vacuum tube microphone preamplifier and fed the signal into our Merging Technologies Hapi converter to record DSD256 using Pyramix Software

Our friend NativeDSD mastering engineer Tom Caulfield came from Boston to record The Sibelius Piano Trio in 5 channel surround sound using four DPA 4006A microphones, and one 4041 microphone in the center. Tom built a carbon fiber array to hold the microphones which takes inspiration from a standard Decca Tree with three forward microphones and two additional surround microphones about twelve feet to the rear. Tom fed these microphones directly into his Merging Technologies Horus converter to record in 256DSD.

Using our two principal microphones from the String Quartet and song cycle, and adding two additional mid-hall Schoeps M222 vacuum tube microphones, Arian Jansen fed into the SonoruS Holographic Imaging processor to create a 2 channel mix that uses a proprietary matrix incorporating phase, timing and EQ information from the four microphones to reproduce a three-dimensional listening experience from two speakers. Arian captured this Holographic Imaging version using his SonoruS ATR12 analog tape recorder using EMTEC 528 broadcast tape which we then converted from the analog tape using the Merging Technologies Hapi converter at DSD256fs.

Additional information about SonoruS Holographic Imaging: with the correct playback setup, this format can fill the room with musical information, with sound coming from up to 270 degrees around the listening position. Holographic Imaging only works for one person in that exact listening position, however, and it only works if every component in the playback chain is phase coherent. Please don’t be offended if your super-expensive system cannot accurately reproduce the holographic effect. Not all premium audiophile systems are designed to incorporate this degree of phase representation. Please download our Holographic Imaging test track first to determine if your system can accurately portray the signal circling around your listening position. If it can, enjoy! If it cannot, we recommend the stereo or surround sound versions of this album instead. The test tracks are available at www.yarlungrecords.com/sonorus

Producer: Bob Attiyeh
Recording Engineer: Bob Attiyeh, stereo; Tom Caulfield, 5.0 Surround Sound; Arian Jansen, SonoruS Holographic Imaging
Recording location: Samueli Theater at Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Costa Mesa California
Recording Software: Merging
Recording Type & Bit Rate: DSD256
Speakers: formats were monitored on speakers from Genesis Advanced Technologies.

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/YAR54765DSD-sibelius-piano-trio-vol-ii

Into The Mist - Fiona Joy (DSD 256 Stereo release)

Provenance:
Recorded in DSD256 and mixed through analog console to DSD256.

Fiona Joy: 1885 Steinway Piano Recorded, Mixed and Mastered by
Cookie Marenco

ESE Logo
Extended Sound Environment (E.S.E.)

Produced by Cookie Marenco
Executive Producer: Bob Rogers
Assistant Engineers: Patrick O'Connor, Elena Brewster
Special Thanks to David Robinson of Positive Feedback for the use of his Pyramix system.

http://bluecoastrecords.downloadsnow.net/fiona-joy-into-the-mist

Back