Where can I get a QSD-1 repaired nowadays?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolbox149

I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin
New to this board

Someone good anywhere in North America.

Thanks
Toolbox

New to this board

Thanks
Toolbox

I've had analog stuff worked on by Stereoadvisor in Sacramento. He was unable to get my Tate going again but was able to determine it was one of the magic chips that died. He's also serviced some turntables and a cassette deck. He's local to me so I can't comment on his mail-order business. One-man shop that's a lot of fun to walk into.

New to this board

Thanks
Toolbox

If you cannot get it repaired
The best thing to get if you still want a 3 Band QS decoder as good as the QSD1
and a 3 band SQ decoder as good as TATE in 1 unit
Get the Surround Master
This unit has been the best thing as all the old decoders
will stop and are not able to be repaired
After all they are all over 40 years old

What kind of problem are you having?
Most parts for these critters are not too difficult to find, and it may be a simple problem.
Best regards
Nite

I would fix it because it's a beautiful model, but I'm from Poland. What's the problem? Maybe I can help

^^

How did the QSD1 repair work from Jim turn out? how much did it cost?

^^

How did the QSD1 repair work from Jim turn out? how much did it cost?

I've noticed your question and I will answer you in a few days. I want to make another attempt at making the QSD-1 work out for me, but right now I am SUPER disappointed.
I want to give it another try and test it again in my good system, as well as in a second system I have. I need to make some adjustments to isolate the QSD-1 so I'm sure that a problems I hear are still coming from the QSD-1 and are not a result of some other piece of equipment.

I might try to send it to the guy in Sacramento.

I've noticed your question and I will answer you in a few days. I want to make another attempt at making the QSD-1 work out for me, but right now I am SUPER disappointed.
I want to give it another try and test it again in my good system, as well as in a second system I have. I need to make some adjustments to isolate the QSD-1 so I'm sure that a problems I hear are still coming from the QSD-1 and are not a result of some other piece of equipment.

I might try to send it to the guy in Sacramento.

Sounds (!) good. The reason I asked is I scored one off Ebay last week at a "reasonable" price ($585 so not the $1000+ ones for sale thank goodness). It powers up but the sound on all channels is harsh, scratchy or possibly some distortion, esp the rears and in the high freq range. Scratchy and somewhat shallow sounding. So it needs some kind of work. I knew that was a possibility when I bid on it. I had good luck with Chris Ready in PA on my QRX9001 but that was 7 yrs ago and I don't know if he still is around.

Please let me know your end results. I sent an email to Jim today and planned to call him but I'll hold off until I see your next post.
Thanks!

Thank you all. My Qsd-1 has been sent to Jim at QRX Restore.
His site doesn't work as of this morning.

What would be really cool once you get a hold of him is if he knows how to remove the blend resistors increasing the separation from 35 db's to 50 db's.

His site doesn't work as of this morning.

What would be really cool once you get a hold of him is if he knows how to remove the blend resistors increasing the separation from 35 db's to 50 db's.

His site works now, tried at 11:45AM est. However, he hasn't as yet responded to both an email on Sunday and a call Monday - I left detailed message with my phone numbers. No call or reply as yet; I'll let you know when/if he does, in all fairness to him.

In the meantime, I sent email to Chris Ready in PA and he responded right away. He's still doing restoration work and we have talked on the phone yesterday. Unless I hear back from Jim in the next few days, I'll send the unit to Chris this week for evaluation; Chris said he's done couple QSD1's. I do have a time issue since I probably have a time limit in which to pursue a return with the ebay seller.

Maybe Jim is busy, away on a trip or somehow indisposed. Or it's possible he no longer wants to do restoration work...don't know.

Got email from Jim yesterday and at my request he called me last night. So we're good which is very nice to see!

Any update on yours, Toolbox?

It's been three months since the last update.

Have the QSD-1 issues been resolved?

Mine is working fine, but since it's never been opened up, I've been considering sending it out to QRX-Restore to make it like new (or better than new).

Hi. All

Yes I highly recommend Jim Showker at ( http://www.qrxrestore.com/ ) for any repair work, he specialize in Sansui Quad units but he will tackle any think if you have a full service manual.

He totally done my QRX8001 superb job. and I got him to recap & recalibrate a Lafayette SQ-W unit and that was his first time doing a SQ unit and he was very surprised in the Quad separation he said at the time he might look for one on eBay for him self..
Bill...

Back