Can you hear the dog whistle tone at the end of Sgt Pepper?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you hear the dog whistle tone at the end of Sgt Pepper?

• No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm over 40, are you kidding?

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Faintly, if I use my imagination

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Absolutely, and no one should rate another title if they can't hear it, too.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I had forgotten this little bit of lore about the 16 kHz tone between the last chord of Day in the Life and the run-out groove nonsense.

I never heard it on the Capitol LP, but might have the excuse that supposedly it wasn't on those pressings.

I sure as heck can't hear it now that I'm only six months short of Side 2 Track 2, if you get my drift.
I stopped hearing the flyback transformers on CRTs by the time I was 35.

The waveform following the vertical green line on my rip from the 2017 stereo mix below, so I know it's there.

But no amount of eq boost makes it audible to me.
Not that there's anything surprising, much less wrong, with that.

How about you?

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 4.57.30 PM.jpg

Somewhere I read the frequency was 1 kHz different between British and US pressings? :mad:@:

That sounds like a whole lot of hassle. The tone wasn't on the U.S. edition on the album on Capital. I can still hear it - despite being in my 40s - although I didn't on the De Agostini cut because it wasn't there!

There's a track on the outtake CDs called "the final chord" (I think) and you can hear it well there (it was the first time I've ever heard it!)

That would be track 14 on disc 2. I played it and still did not hear it. I really got everyone up in arms over on that other audio forum when I mentioned I did not like the two outtakes disc. They cannot stand a contrary position over there.

I feel you.
Delight in the fact that you hear 99% of the musical spectrum and a surround field. :music

With my new hearing aids (set to MUSIC mode) or +12 dB @ 12k EQ, I can just make it out.
Believe me I am happy I can still hear 99%. I bought some hearing aids a few years ago but I stopped wearing them because they caused too much distortion when listening to music.

Back