help me code a digital decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfBoff

I was gifted a few quad records. I was not gifted a decoder. Being a student/code monkey, I decided to program my own. While I have decoders working for matrix formats (no CD-4 yet) I don't know what a quad record should sound like. If anyone would be so kind as to hook me up with hardware decoded snippets of an album I have to compare with. The records are...
  • The Fisher Test & Performance Standard Quadradisc
  • An Introduction To The World Of SQ Quadraphonic Sound
  • Quadraphonic, The Spectacular Sound Of Four Channel Stereo
  • Perspectives - The New Sound Of Koss A Psycho-acoustic Odyssey
  • Sylvania CD-4 Quadradisc DPD 1-0084
  • They Only Come Out At Night
  • The Planets MQ 31125
  • Switched-On Bach

Furthermore, If you speak MatLab and want to check out the code, I have it here: https://github.com/Pr0fB0ff/SQDecoder.

Thank you so much!

hi there Prof and welcome to QQ :)

i can help you with clips of most of those (SQ & QS LPs decoded by the Involve Surround Master)
i don't have that specific CD-4 disc but can possibly provide sample clips of some things from it.
however i'm just about to go sleep now so i will PM you in the morning.

in the meantime you could play the Perspectives headphone sampler disc thru PLII Music and that would give a rough idea as to how it pans out? it would give a better and more accurate Quad effect when the QS is properly decoded of course but PLII can be fun with QS records and there's no harm in giving it a try is there!

all the best!

Back