"When I'm Sixty Four" - YSS vs 50th Ani Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellow Sub
Eleanor Rigby
All Together Now
When I'm 64
Only a Northern Song
Nowhere Man
Lucy in the Sky
Sgt Pepper
All you need is Love
Hey Bulldog
It's all too much
All together now (reprise)

The DVD has an isolated music track, but it's DD only, plus the speed is different from the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray doesn't have the isolated music. I went ahead and ripped both to my computer, then took the music from the Blu-Ray and spliced in elements from the DVD's isolated music track to patch over the bits that had movie effects or dialogue mixed over the songs. Took some editing and speed correcting, but I think it's worth the trouble. The 5.1 mixes are very good.

The isolated lead guitar in the right rear speaker on Sgt. Pepper is fantastic!

I understand why us surround fanatics would have wished that Giles got more adventurous (and i'd like to hear a mix with more discrete elements), but what we have in the 2017 5.1 mix is really stunning and faithful.

The more I listen to this mix the more logical it seems. If I have any real issue with it, it's with isolated areas where some playful speaker movement would have been a delight, as in: the audience sounds of the opening track and reprise, where a rush of sound from speaker to speaker in places would have been fun; Lennon's vocals on "Lucy"; the last minute of "Kite"; some parts of "Within You"; and of course anything pertaining to "A Day in the Life" that would have given it more depth without sounding gimmicky (easier said than done, I'm sure).

The pity is that we may never get official MC remixes of REVOLVER, MMT, WHITE or ABBEY ROAD. That would be unfortunate, for these albums have brilliance all over them, and their potential in 5.1 blazingly obvious. We should drink in this package, even if the potion leaves a slight aftertaste. Kind of like the old Moxie soft drink, for those old enough to remember it.

For those with the DVD and DVD Audio Extractor, here is where the isolated track is located. Note it's called out as being "Directors comments 1", but it's not. The clue for you all is that it's 6CH.

Here's where to find it:

View attachment 29648

You might have tried this and it failed, but : if you load the disc then click the yellow 'pencil' icon in the upper right, it will populate the track titles if that metadata was ever entered and uploaded by another user.

The more I listen to this mix the more logical it seems. If I have any real issue with it, it's with isolated areas where some playful speaker movement would have been a delight, as in: the audience sounds of the opening track and reprise, where a rush of sound from speaker to speaker in places would have been fun; Lennon's vocals on "Lucy"; the last minute of "Kite"; some parts of "Within You"; and of course anything pertaining to "A Day in the Life" that would have given it more depth without sounding gimmicky (easier said than done, I'm sure).

The pity is that we may never get official MC remixes of REVOLVER, MMT, WHITE or ABBEY ROAD. That would be unfortunate, for these albums have brilliance all over them, and their potential in 5.1 blazingly obvious. We should drink in this package, even if the potion leaves a slight aftertaste. Kind of like the old Moxie soft drink, for those old enough to remember it.
They still make Moxie but it's hard to find.

Back