SQ Decoder Recomendations to use as upgrade with QRX-9001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumGuitar

So this is a bit of a follow up to my previous thread asking about the quality of the SQ decoder in the QRX-9001, which I am basically using as my all in one Legacy Quad decoder and phono preamp. However, I have been unsatisfied with the results of the half-logic SQ decoding onboard (though very satisfied with the QS and CD-4) and am looking to "upgrade". I'm hoping for something that I can run the stereo tape-1 rec into and then back into the quad aux inputs (everything then goes out the quad tape-2 rec into the multichannel inputs on my Sony STR-DA3300ES). Can anyone confirm that tape-1 rec ->(any 2:4)-> quad aux -> tape-2 rec ->... should be possible functionality? It would mean that the phono input would need to be outputted through the 2-channel tape-1 rec while simultaneously the 4-channel aux would need to be outputted through the 4-channel tape-2 rec...Anyone have any advice before I try it myself?

Anyway...What I'm really after in this thread is SQ decoder recommendations. I know the Fosgate Tate II 101a is supposed to be a holy grail piece, but it also seems pretty hard to get and worth a pretty penny. I was hoping to find some recommendations for full-logic SQ decoders that will help really showcase what my SQ encoded records can do.

The 9001 is also pretty short on 4-channel inputs that also output via the 4-channel tape-2 rec (seems to be just the 4-channel aux) and i currently have my Teac a2340 running into them so it would be potentially useful for this decoder to have 4-channel input with decoding bypass, which, if it has a superior quad synthesizer to the qrx-9001, would also be nice to be able to run on my stereo reels.

But anyway like I said I'm really just looking for some suggestions on SQ decoders.
Thanks again.

Two that come to mind are the Sony SQD-2010 (or to a lesser extent, the 2020) and the Lafayette SQ-W, but you should try an upgraded stand-alone phono preamp with the Sansui's SQ decoder. I have a Tate decoder, and it is indeed the one to get ... however I also have a Sansui QSD-2, which I believe uses the same SQ decoder as your receiver. The Tate is absolutely better, but using a modern phono preamp (a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE) improves the SQ performance of BOTH of them. It would probably cost less money than a high-end SQ decoder that likely needs recapping by now, and might have other issues as well.

SQ decoding is VERY phase-dependent, and it is unlikely that the aging phono stage in your receiver is working at its peak. I said this in answer to one of your other posts about SQ decoding quality, but I get the impression that it isn't what you want to hear. It is quite likely though, that even a Tate decoder would not perform properly using the phono preamp in your 40+ year-old receiver. I have a Sony SQR-8750 (which has a full-logic SQ decoder) in my home office, and I use a Rega Fono phono preamp instead of the receiver's phono input because the difference is night and day in terms of sound quality and SQ decoding.

Two that come to mind are the Sony SQD-2010 (or to a lesser extent, the 2020) and the Lafayette SQ-W, but you should try an upgraded stand-alone phono preamp with the Sansui's SQ decoder. I have a Tate decoder, and it is indeed the one to get ... however I also have a Sansui QSD-2, which I believe has the same SQ decoder as your receiver.

The Tate is absolutely better, but using a modern phono preamp (a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE) improves the SQ performance of BOTH of them ... and it would probably cost less money than a high-end SQ decoder that likely needs recapping by now, and might have other issues as well. SQ decoding is VERY phase-dependent, and it is unlikely that the aging phono stage in your receiver is working at its peak.

I said this in answer to one of your other posts about SQ decoding quality, but I get the impression that it isn't what you want to hear.

I do remember you saying that, however my main hesitation in bypassing the Sansui's phono pre-amp is regarding maintaining my CD-4 setup. Right now I have 4 feet of low capacitance cables connecting my turntable to the phono input. Which my tech seemed to think was the maximum length for efficient transport of the high frequencies. Anyway, I have basically been worried that putting anything between my turntable and the sansui could interfere with the CD-4, though it might be worth a shot (The question is do I need very short low capacitance cables following the preamp as well? Probably?).

But assuming I can get the QRX-9001 to do a better job, I'm still not sure that a half-logic decoder is going to cut it. Looking through the Owner's manual again online it looks like I can get 12 dB separation center front to center rear, which it seems like I'm not even achieving. I've read that SQ at its peak was capable of 20 dB, which I'm assuming is the Tate IIs performance?

Anyway I'll give it a shot, thanks again for the reminder.

I do remember you saying that, however my main hesitation in bypassing the Sansui's phono pre-amp is regarding maintaining my CD-4 setup. Right now I have 4 feet of low capacitance cables connecting my turntable to the phono input. Which my tech seemed to think was the maximum length for efficient transport of the high frequencies. Anyway, I have basically been worried that putting anything between my turntable and the sansui could interfere with the CD-4, though it might be worth a shot (The question is do I need very short low capacitance cables following the preamp as well? Probably?).

But assuming I can get the QRX-9001 to do a better job, I'm still not sure that a half-logic decoder is going to cut it. Looking through the Owner's manual again online it looks like I can get 12 dB separation center front to center rear, which it seems like I'm not even achieving. I've read that SQ at its peak was capable of 20 dB, which I'm assuming is the Tate IIs performance?

You will have to connect the turntable directly to the receiver for CD-4 playback. That will mean that you have to switch connections around when you play SQ or QS LPs. Not terribly convenient, but it depends how well you want your matrix decoding to work. I use a separate dedicated Rega P3-24 turntable that is tweaked and optimized for CD-4 in my main system, and I don't bother with CD-4 playback in my office. Just trust me when I say that a 40+ year-old receiver phono stage is old and tired, and it is not going to work properly for SQ playback, not even with a Tate decoder. Good luck.

If you read about the Surround Master (SQ Vinyl)
Reviews on this site will let you know that it is as good as the TATE
And the Involve (QS) is a good as the QSD1
the both decode in 3 bands
All in one unit and not 40 years old
This decoder is the best ever that has been put in 1 unit

If you read about the Surround Master (SQ Vinyl)
Reviews on this site will let you know that it is as good as the TATE
And the Involve (QS) is a good as the QSD1
the both decode in 3 bands
All in one unit and not 40 years old
This decoder is the best ever that has been put in 1 unit

I really considered buying one, but their site is a bit confusing. The price is in dollars, but there are a lot of dollars in the world. I would assume that the price is in Australian dollars, but it isn't clear. Also, I am concerned about warranty service (if necessary). Does the unit have to be returned to the factory? If so, the shipping cost would be expensive. I can find nothing about warranty on the site ... and nothing about the shipping cost for the original purchase. I tried a few times, but I gave up. It is too bad, because it looks like they are selling some B-stock for a $100 discount.

I really considered buying one, but their site is a bit confusing. The price is in dollars, but there are a lot of dollars in the world. I would assume that the price is in Australian dollars, but it isn't clear. Also, I am concerned about warranty service (if necessary). Does the unit have to be returned to the factory? If so, the shipping cost would be expensive. I can find nothing about warranty on the site ... and nothing about the shipping cost for the original purchase. I tried a few times, but I gave up. It is too bad, because it looks like they are selling some B-stock for a $100 discount.

Greetings!!

I agree, our site is a bit confusing. I'll try to clarify here and I'll also update the information on the shopping page.

All prices are in USD. Shipping is included in the price.

Repair warranty is return to base, you pay to get it to us, we pay to get it back to you - unless you receive a faulty unit and return it in the first two weeks, in which case we'll pay for that both ways.
If that is a hassle we can try to arrange something else -we do have a local USA associate in Oregon who might be able to get it back to us within our regular back-and-forth of shipping items, but that would take a fair bit longer.

And yes, all we have left now is B-stock, the scratch and dent sale. Identical on the inside, still under full operational warranty. We are working on a replacement case for the plastic one (Which was a nightmare to get right, but oh well) - the new one will be metal but initially functionally identical. It is however some months off - trying to create new plastic cases is not worth the cost at this point, so here we are in the factory-soiled no man's land.

If you go to this page:
http://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master/

You should see at the bottom a "choose an option" window to select from either "Without SQ" - the vanilla Surround Master with the virtual two-speaker surround as the second decode option, or "With SQ" - the version that was created especially for the QQ forum and, going by the title of this discussion, probably the option you want. Then you click "Add to cart"

It should refresh the page with the notification "“Surround Master™ Involve Decoder (Less than perfect case clearance)” has been added to your cart."
and a "View Cart" button - there should also be a shopping cart window to the right where you can click straight on "Check out" to go to the payment page and go through that process.

The rest should be fairly self evident - then I get a message, I check the order, program and test a unit and then ship it out.

Bob, as they say, is your parent's brother.

Happy to answer any other questions.

~David

Something I have been thinking about for a while: Would it be possible to just buy the Surround Master circuit card so that it could be retrofitted into the 9001. There certainly appears to be enough room and ample switching. The power should be easily supplied.

Greetings!!

I agree, our site is a bit confusing. I'll try to clarify here and I'll also update the information on the shopping page.

All prices are in USD. Shipping is included in the price.

Repair warranty is return to base, you pay to get it to us, we pay to get it back to you - unless you receive a faulty unit and return it in the first two weeks, in which case we'll pay for that both ways.
If that is a hassle we can try to arrange something else -we do have a local USA associate in Oregon who might be able to get it back to us within our regular back-and-forth of shipping items, but that would take a fair bit longer.

And yes, all we have left now is B-stock, the scratch and dent sale. Identical on the inside, still under full operational warranty. We are working on a replacement case for the plastic one (Which was a nightmare to get right, but oh well) - the new one will be metal but initially functionally identical. It is however some months off - trying to create new plastic cases is not worth the cost at this point, so here we are in the factory-soiled no man's land.

If you go to this page:
http://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master/

You should see at the bottom a "choose an option" window to select from either "Without SQ" - the vanilla Surround Master with the virtual two-speaker surround as the second decode option, or "With SQ" - the version that was created especially for the QQ forum and, going by the title of this discussion, probably the option you want. Then you click "Add to cart"

It should refresh the page with the notification "“Surround Master™ Involve Decoder (Less than perfect case clearance)” has been added to your cart."
and a "View Cart" button - there should also be a shopping cart window to the right where you can click straight on "Check out" to go to the payment page and go through that process.

The rest should be fairly self evident - then I get a message, I check the order, program and test a unit and then ship it out.

Bob, as they say, is your parent's brother.

Happy to answer any other questions.

~David

Thank you for your kind reply, David. I am not in the USofA though, and the current exchange rate is pretty painful. I have to hope that my Tate hangs on for a bit longer. Also, sending a unit to the US to be forwarded on to Australia is not really a viable option for me. It does look like a great unit though.

Back