ENCODING QUAD VIA MIC PLACEMENT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Encoding Quad via simple Microphone placement as per this tiny article from the 70's. :)

Always found this a bit intriguing . I'm guessing some engineers experimented with this method.

FWIW one engineer actually encoded "naturalsurround" via stereo mics and produced a pleasing quad effect . I have the cd from "Audio Ideas Guide" with simple quadrant/soundfield speaker identification , and by gosh and golly it actually works --------as it pretty much should via the Tate 101a, when SQ is selected .

20170614_162723.jpg

The Neumann SM69fet not only had two moveable mics, but also it had selectable polar patterns so Omni, Cardioid, Figure-Of-8, and a mixture of them, so I wonder in the configuration they used they essentially produced a 'mock' binaural-head to get the 'surround'?

Encoding Quad via simple Microphone placement as per this tiny article from the 70's. :)

Always found this a bit intriguing . I'm guessing some engineers experimented with this method.

FWIW one engineer actually encoded "naturalsurround" via stereo mics and produced a pleasing quad effect . I have the cd from "Audio Ideas Guide" with simple quadrant/soundfield speaker identification , and by gosh and golly it actually works --------as it pretty much should via the Tate 101a, when SQ is selected .

View attachment 29673

Good point , Duncan

Both the Neuman SM 69 and the latter QM 69 were used for quad discrete and matrix.

Those were Carson Taylor's favourite mics for quad . I have this great article(8 pages?) but not the means to panand scan .
It's from 78 and has ample info on how to capture ambient info , etc .

Here's an exerpt.

20170614_163139.jpg

The Neumann SM69fet not only had two moveable mics, but also it had selectable polar patterns so Omni, Cardioid, Figure-Of-8, and a mixture of them, so I wonder in the configuration they used they essentially produced a 'mock' binaural-head to get the 'surround'?

Before I forget,

Duncan, the article does go on to say that the O.R.T.F. mic placement array is purposed for "Kuntstophe" or "Dummy Head " encoding.

I think that DECCA may have utilized this mic pattern with their recordings, so Deram , and etc would be included . That could mean a significantly large number of natural surround or Binaural LPS were produced .

Intriguing, probably mostly Classical, but bands like Camel were on Decca, and Caravan were on Deram. Both labels did seem to produce high quality recordings, so its the sort of thing engineers would play with to see if the could get a better sound.

Before I forget,

Duncan, the article does go on to say that the O.R.T.F. mic placement array is purposed for "Kuntstophe" or "Dummy Head " encoding.

I think that DECCA may have utilized this mic pattern with their recordings, so Deram , and etc would be included . That could mean a significantly large number of natural surround or Binaural LPS were produced .

Yes I seem to remember references to the "Decca Tree " but like you've surmised I believe all of those references involved Classical recordings.

There may have been some popular artists as well such as Caravan , Moody Blues , Camel , and possibly London and associated labels--but who can say for certain.???

Back