Rob Reed / Magenta 5.1 FLAC downloads now available!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I just had an e-mail from Rob telling me that he's made four albums from his recent back catalogue available as 5.1 FLAC downloads. :banana:

http://www.magentashopfront.com/page14.htm

For those that don't know, Rob is the "musical brains" behind Prog band Magenta and many other "side projects" including his stunning Mike Oldfield-esq solo projects "Sanctuary I" and "Sanctuary II." He's a song writer, multi-instrumentalist and audio engineer, and as if that's not enough he's also an avid supporter of the surround format and has been releasing 5.1 on DVD for many years, but due to financial constraints has been limited to DVD-V/DTS.

His mixes are discrete, very active and very dynamic. IMHO his surround mixing ability is easily as good as the leaders in the field, in fact I would say he gives Steven Wilson a run for his money! But don't take my word for it. He's made some free downloads available as "samples" (including a fabulous Magenta cover version of Yes's "Wondrous Stories") here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2osjttgnait55jg/AADF8YLJQGj-7LSfsVXufESma?dl=0

The albums available to buy as FLAC are:

Magenta : The Twenty Seven Club
Magenta : We Are Legend
Kompendium : Beneath the Waves
Robert Reed : Sanctuary I

I believe that they're all 48k/24 bit and at £7 per album they're excellent value too. :)

If you don't know where to start I strongly recommend "The Twenty Seven Club" although if you're a fan of Mike Oldfield then "Sanctuary I" may be a better choice (Rob is a huge fan of Mike and this album is a shameless tribute!)

I know Rob's been wanting to release full resolution versions of his surround mixes for quite some time, so this is really exciting. I hope you'll get behind the project and give it as much support as possible, 'cos there's a *lot* of other material in his back catalogue that really needs to be out in full resolution 5.1. :)

Last edited:
Can someone check that the public link for the free downloads from Dropbox is working okay and post confirmation back, please? I just had a message from someone saying they had an error.

I've cut and pasted the link from the e-mail I got from Rob and it works for me, but I just want to be sure that that's not because I'm logged in to Dropbox or already have access rights to the shared folder.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Can someone check that the public link for the free downloads from Dropbox is working okay and post confirmation back, please? I just had a message from someone saying they had an error.

I've cut and pasted the link from the e-mail I got from Rob and it works for me, but I just want to be sure that that's not because I'm logged in to Dropbox or already have access rights to the shared folder.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Downloaded fine.....(for me thats very good)
Files are all correct sizes and play as they should .

Great version of "Wondrous Stories"! (and free... wow!). Purchased Kompendium "Beneath the Waves" (since it was the only one listed that I didn't already have)... smooth transaction and downloading process; recommended!

Took advantage of the freebee's, I've already got the others, :) I've also got a ticket to see Magenta at the Globe, Cardiff, 6th April next year!:banana:

They're an amazing live band. Technically brilliant and full of energy and enthusiasm which adds a real buzz to the live performances. ...and Chris Fry's guitar solos! Oh my! :music

They're an amazing live band. Technically brilliant and full of energy and enthusiasm which adds a real buzz to the live performances. ...and Chris Fry's guitar solos! Oh my! :music

You're preaching to the converted here, I've seen them a few times now them being from Cardiff not too far away from me up the M4 (Motorway) you are right about the performances and Chris Fry, electric guitar solo's being my favorite music.:upthumb

I think the Globe was built on the site of the Globe fleapit cinema we'd go to as students in the late 70s for the midnight films - stone cold sober of course!

Took advantage of the freebee's, I've already got the others, :) I've also got a ticket to see Magenta at the Globe, Cardiff, 6th April next year!:banana:

I think the Globe was built on the site of the Globe fleapit cinema we'd go to as students in the late 70s for the midnight films - stone cold sober of course!

That's right! The Globe actually is the old cinema! It's not been rebuilt, just altered internally, but you can still tell it used to be a cinema. The balcony is still there and in use. I quite like the venue and have been there several times, but it tends to attract people who prefer talking (loudly) to listening to music, so I don't go there any more.

it tends to attract people who prefer talking (loudly) to listening to music, so I don't go there any more.

Yes it amazes me that people would buy (I presume they do) a ticket to a gig and then not watch the band, the time before last that I saw Magenta there
Christina Boothe stopped mid song and told those chatting at the bar to "shut the f**k up"!

Yes it amazes me that people would buy (I presume they do) a ticket to a gig and then not watch the band, the time before last that I saw Magenta there
Christina Boothe stopped mid song and told those chatting at the bar to "shut the f**k up"!

Haha! I was there that night too!

Have 2 of the albums and just bought the 2 others!
Lovely music and mixes! - Hats off for R. Reed and all his great surround mixes and music!!!

Took a while to download track by track.... would have been nice if they was downloadable as one zip-file on Surroundmusic.one!;)

Rob's just added another three titles:

Kiama: Sign of Four
Robert Reed - Sanctuary II
Magenta: Chameleon

I expect many of you already know what to expect with "Sanctuary II" and "Chameleon", but Kiama may be an unknown quantity so here's a video of a song from the album that's pretty representative of the whole thing:
[video=youtube_share;VFSBj7aWU68]https://youtu.be/VFSBj7aWU68[/video]

The surround mix is of the usual quality you would expect from Rob, but has a more energetic, live feel to it because the album tracks were mostly recorded "live in studio." I really rate it.

I saw so many cr*p films there, which were made into the best comedies by the audience heckling! We always reckoned rats were running about downstairs, :yikes so you'd try and get a seat in the balcony.

That's right! The Globe actually is the old cinema! It's not been rebuilt, just altered internally, but you can still tell it used to be a cinema. The balcony is still there and in use. I quite like the venue and have been there several times, but it tends to attract people who prefer talking (loudly) to listening to music, so I don't go there any more.

Just to be clear, are these downloads any different in quality than the DVDs they were originally released on? I have all these titles except for Chameleon and Kompendium.

Back